President Obama on 'The View' - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Language, bias, ownership, influence; all media related topics.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By maz
Obama Talks Gay Marriage, Politics and Pop Culture on 'The View'

President Obama does not fault his vice president for forcing his hand on the issue of same-sex marriage because "it came out of a generosity of spirit," he said in a wide-ranging interview on ABC's "The View" this morning.

The president also revealed that he had originally considered breaking the news on today's program. "It was a possibility. It was," he said. "We had been discussing it for a few weeks and we thought, what are the formats where we could talk about it not just as a policy issue but as a personal issue and all of you came to mind."

As the story escalated, however, the White House decided to bump up the announcement, ultimately breaking the news in an interview last week with Robin Roberts on "Good Morning America."

"What will determine the election is the economy and whether everybody – gay, straight, black, white, Hispanic, Latino, Native American, disabled, you name it - whether people feel as if America continues to be this extraordinary land of opportunity and there's this very stark differences, legit differences between the candidates and between the parties in terms of how we are going to make sure that everybody in this country gets a fair shot, every kid is getting a great education, how we create businesses, how we create more jobs - that ultimately is going to be what determines how this election goes," he said.

:lol:

The president also proved his pop-culture prowess, acing a celebrity quiz.

Obama correctly knew that Kim was the Kardashian sister who made headlines this year for her 72-day marriage to pro basketball player Kris Humphries. No, the president is not a loyal follower of reality TV. Obama, an avid basketball fan, but said, "he was a ball player. I know from watching basketball."

Obama was also asked by co-host Joy Behar whether he knew about "the controversial sex book," "Fifty Shades of Grey," that's on millions of people's bedside tables.

After looking a little perplexed, the president admitted he did not know, but joked, "I'll ask Michelle when I get home."

This marked Obama's fourth appearance on "The View," his second as president. He made history as the first sitting president to make an appearance on daytime television when he visited the women of "The View" July 2010.

I think that this is President Obama's second appearance on "The View," and I know that Vice President Biden has appeared at least once recently.

Obama sure seems to knows his pop culture and seems to enjoy talking about nonsense.

I can see a president, or a US official of prominence appearing on something like the "The Tonight Show. "Appearances on "The Daily Show" are stretching it a bit, but shows like "The View" and "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon," seem like they should be below the president, and the fact that he has to pander to that kind of audience suggests that the president is just pandering for votes of the lowest common denominator.

I mean, how can any serious politician appear on "The View" after Whoopi Goldberg defended convicted peodophile rapist Roman Polanski?
I saw the interview. I think it is a calculated move on the Obama campaign's side. A lot of housewives and women voters watch that show. He is reaching out to his traditional base of women voters. He is trying to appeal to that base. A lot of his answers regarding the Romney campaign was sheer political maneuvering and a lot of his usual smooth talking about trying to make America be the land of opportunity for everyone, blah, blah. My husband thought his most sincere statement was the very last one about his quitting cigarette smoking to not give a bad example to his girls. That rang true and unscripted. The other stuff? He just used the platform to launch his women voters bid. The questions were not hard nosed questions.

I would have asked about his failures in getting health care passed and giving in to the big pharmaceuticals and how he did not put any strings attached to bailouts with the banks. How he promised a lot of crap and did not deliver and how it is going to be different if he wins re-election in November, It is obvious to me that he is a typical politico with a lot of old Washington insiders in his administration.
I would have asked about his failures in getting health care passed and giving in to the big pharmaceuticals and how he did not put any strings attached to bailouts with the banks.

The US taxpayer has profited from the bailouts.
maz wrote:I can see a president, or a US official of prominence appearing on something like the "The Tonight Show. "Appearances on "The Daily Show" are stretching it a bit, but shows like "The View" and "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon," seem like they should be below the president, and the fact that he has to pander to that kind of audience suggests that the president is just pandering for votes of the lowest common denominator.

Pandering for the votes of stay-at-home moms and young people? How dare he!

I don't know how The View is any different from The Tonight Show. The View is actually much more political than basically any other daytime network talk show I can think of. Politicians aren't known for their integrity and moral character, so I don't think any TV show is beneath them. Obama lies most every time he speaks to the media, so why does it matter what show he's lying on?
Unthinking Majority wrote:Pandering for the votes of stay-at-home moms and young people? How dare he!

I don't know how The View is any different from The Tonight Show. The View is actually much more political than basically any other daytime network talk show I can think of. Politicians aren't known for their integrity and moral character, so I don't think any TV show is beneath them. Obama lies most every time he speaks to the media, so why does it matter what show he's lying on?

Well since I don't watch The View, you would probably know better than me. I do occasionally hear about who appears on The View but it never struck me as being political.

Besides Biden and Obama, what other high level politician and/or official has appeared on the show?

Wake me up when you have something to replace it.[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I love how everybody is rambling about printing m[…]

Also, the Russians are apparently not fans of Isra[…]

Wars still happen. And violent crime is blooming,[…]