Boring people: the death of story-telling - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Language, bias, ownership, influence; all media related topics.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Tainari88 wrote:...a brush of something...the harsh sound of coughing.... a man...jeans and a shirt that said something that faded long ago...always in the sun...

¨Do you speak English?¨
¨No hablo inglés.¨

...a strange man. But an interesting one.

...suggested he look for a knife with hand signals.

Now @Rancid who do you think he is? You want me to continue?

I'm not Rancid, but can I guess?

Your husband? (the "look for a knife with hand signals" sounds like it leads to a hot sex scene)
Rancid wrote:That's potemkin :lol: I'm just throwing out a name.

I don't want to burden you. If you wish to continue, you may.

Of course its not. This is fiction. You said you wanted fiction? :lol:
QatzelOk wrote:I'm not Rancid, but can I guess?

Your husband? (the "look for a knife with hand signals" sounds like it leads to a hot sex scene)

Again, it is fiction. My husband is Puerto Rican and never speaks English to me at all. Fiction.

Hmm, knives and sex Q? Lol.
I would say social interaction is the main issue with generation society rather than storytelling. Storytelling tends to be part of social experience anyhow, that is to say you know something of the story you are telling due to experience and evolve that into a narrative of interest to share.

I am not really against technology but at the same time I understand that we are becoming more accustomed to it in our daily life. Perhaps the only good thing to come out of society if it was to collapse and our wealth diminishes would be that we would be forced to confront the important expects of life like family and unity and start living again away from our screens. :hmm:
When my friends from Saratoga come up to Vacaville every couple of months, I entertain them recounting my unusual dreams. We also talk about politics and social issues.

Several months ago, before the pandemic, there was an announcement in either the magazine or newsletter serving Leisure Town, regarding the formation of a discussion group for senior men. However, discussion of religion and politics would not be allowed. So, what was the point?
Rancid wrote:@Tainari88, often people in fiction are modeled after people in real life though. :)

Well this is how I feel about writing fiction? Politicians lie to hide a truth and artists lie to reveal a truth. An artist should be doing fiction with the end of revealing a truth. A politician usually lies to hide the truth from people.

Which type of fiction is the most beautiful eh? The one who is doing ART. Of course. ;)
Rancid wrote:The other area where you see clear evidence of @QatzelOk's main premise in this thread is audio books. There are now entire audio book services that condense an entire novel to a 15min set of bullet points. This completely destroys the artistry and energy put into books. It's yet anther slap in the face of story telling.

We are becoming a society of bullet points.

As in theyre audios of a kind of sparknotes? Not a reading of the story? I can only imagine it serves the same function as sparknotes as getting info for students who are to lazy or busy to read assign books.
Wellsy wrote:As in theyre audios of a kind of sparknotes? Not a reading of the story? I can only imagine it serves the same function as sparknotes as getting info for students who are to lazy or busy to read assign books.

Correct. These are audio spark notes.

However, if you see their commercials, they do not market them as study aids. They market it for people that don't have time to read a fucking book. My remedy is "SLOW THE FUCK DOWN, MAKE TIME TO EXIST"

This is one of the things i hate about American culture. It's obsessed with busyness.
Rancid wrote:This is one of the things i hate about American culture. It's obsessed with busyness.

Not just American culture.

A few years ago, I met a young Australian passenger on one of my tours, and he mentioned that he was a dish-washer at home in Sydney. He was about 18 or 19, so this is a pretty good way to start your adult life.

When he mentionned his job to me privately, I said, in a positive way, that restaurant jobs - while often not high-paying or glamorous - do allow you to talk to people while you work, which is important.

His eyes suddenly bulged, and he said - in a concerned way: "No one talks where I work. If you talk, it means that you're lazy!"

He stressed the word "lazy" the way a schoolmaster might as he's disciplining you for being "a bad boy."

"Having social relations is bad, and it means that you're lazy."

I think this is a Protestant-Capitalist notion, not exclusively American. And very slave-owner-ish.

ImageSocializing was a no-no in our workplaces - pre-COVID
I don't think I have met a single Latino/a with that attitude at all @QatzelOk .

Everyone loves to be free to hang out with friends or talk or listen to music. The Mexicans suffer here over a lack of parties.
Tainari88 wrote:I don't think I have met a single Latino/a with that attitude at all @QatzelOk .

Everyone loves to be free to hang out with friends or talk or listen to music. The Mexicans suffer here over a lack of parties.

Well, among us the issue is actually the opposite... There is often a pressure to socialize.
wat0n wrote:Well, among us the issue is actually the opposite... There is often a pressure to socialize.

In Puerto Rico when I was a young woman, I would always go dancing for at least 7 hours on Friday and Saturday nights. Usually in Old San Juan or Piñones on the beach.

Here is where I would go dancing and so on...also en la azotea or on the rooftops where I hung the clothes to dry. Once I put that away we invited some friends with guitar, guiro and bongoces and some maracas.

Piñones,

That love of parties will never end,

Tainari88 wrote:In Puerto Rico when I was a young woman, I would always go dancing for at least 7 hours on Friday and Saturday nights. Usually in Old San Juan or Piñones on the beach.

Here is where I would go dancing ...

Strategies for good story-telling (how to not be boring)

1. Revealing yourself

A big part of good story-telling is a capacity to reveal information about yourself without fear of consequences.

In a commercially-governed society, there is a constant pressure to gain "a competitive edge" by hiding behind a fake superficial exterior.

The fake exterior that commercially-governed people are forced to project prevents people from interacting, and from revealing true information when, by chance, they do interact. Without a fearless ability to tell real stories, we are rendered mute and socially useless to one another. All we have to offer people is a sitcom smile and "have a nice day."

► Show Spoiler

...Or maybe because there are many witnesses sayin[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

If the tunnels were built by Hamas openly, then th[…]

Sounds like perfect organized crime material ex[…]

Commercial foreclosures increase 97% from last ye[…]