Students stage climate change protests across Europe - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Today, there are about 2000 actions planned against climate change in Europe.

In Oulu, Finland:

In Vienna:

In Luxembourg:

In Lund, Sweden:

In Tartu, Estonia:

In Prague, Czech Republic:

In Tallinn, Estonia:

In Copenhagen, Denmark:

In Florence, Italy:

In Bonn, Germany:

In Amsterdam, The Netherlands:

In Innsbruck, Austria:

In Helsinki, Finland:

In Stockholm, Sweden:

In Cologne, Germany:

In Bergamo, Italy:

In Torino, Italy

In Birmingham, UK:

In Christiansborg, Denmark:

In Tampere, Finland:

In Ljubjlana, Slovenia:

Lucca, Italy:

Thousands of scientists are backing the kids striking for climate change

Capitalism is destroying the Earth. We need a new human right for future generations

The young people taking to the streetsfor the climate strike are right: their future is being stolen. The economy is an environmental pyramid scheme, dumping its liabilities on the young and the unborn. Its current growth depends on intergenerational theft.

In Milan, Italy:

In Krakow, Poland:

In Barcelona, Spain:

In Lousanne, Switzerland:

In Prague, Czech Republic:

In Ireland:

Students stage school strikes over climate change

In Portugal:

In Le Mans, France:

In Reykjavic, Iceland:

In Paris:

https://i.imgur.com/LiWSlhR.gifv

In Vienna 10,500 to 30,000 are on the streets:

https://imgur.com/a/VsGEACG

In Sagreb, Croatia:

In Zurich, Switzerland:

https://imgur.com/Z8VYpTz

In Toulouse, France:

https://imgur.com/a/1wBzdVk

In London:

https://imgur.com/mbWYv5J

In Karlsruhe, Germany

https://imgur.com/xBbfDsE
100,000 in Milan, Italy:

https://www.reddit.com/r/europe/comments/b1due1/megathread_students_climate_change_protests_in/

Hamburg, Germany

https://www.reddit.com/r/hamburg/comments/b1gyz5/klimademo_bei_uns_am_g%C3%A4nsemarkt/

Tallinn, Estonia:

Ireland:

Athens, Greece:

Berlin, Germany:

Seville, Spain:

Belgium:

Kiev, Ukraine:

Liverpool, UK:

https://imgur.com/gallery/yC9yaSC

Paris:

Wolfsburg, Germany:

Frankfurt, Germany:

Bergen, Norway:

Manchaster, UK:

In Berlin:

Prague, Czech Republic:

I don't blame the students because they only know the left-wing propaganda they are taught. The real villains are the unscrupulous educators and so-called scientists that spread this doomsday climate crisis narrative to instill this crazy unreasonable fear. It apparently happened in the liberal state of California also when the school children were scared into believing the world was coming to an end unless the "Green New Deal" was passed.

A bunch of kids confronted Senator Dianne Feinstein over the Green New Deal

A bunch of children and young folks stormed Senator Dianne Feinstein’s office to ask her to back the Green New Deal.

“Some scientists have said we have 12 years to turn this around,” a little girl told the senator. “Well, it’s not going to get turned around in 10 years,” Feinstein responded, which is the political equivalent of telling a kid that the tooth fairy doesn’t exist. Except maybe meaner.

One lesson here is that telling a bunch of kids that you won your race by “a million vote plurality and I know what I am doing and there is no way to pay for it” isn’t the best way to endear yourself to an increasingly rambunctious climate movement.

droves of idiots demanding to be dominated by technocrats :lol: :knife:

“Civilization, in fact, grows more and more hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary.”

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”
I disagree. I think this is the first protest movement in over 30 years that does have a genuine potential. If nothing else, it is educational since it increases awareness of the problem.

The previous generation has miserably failed and most of its protests have degenerated into tribal violence and/or left or right populism. The planet could have done without those parasites.

Your children will despise you for it.
The student protests coincided with a vote in the European parliament in which MPs voted to increase emission cuts to 55% (up from 40%) by 2030 and to achieve a climate-neutral European economy by 2050.

EU Parliament votes for 55% emissions cuts by 2030

EU Parliament votes for 55% emissions cuts by 2030
By Sam Morgan | EURACTIV.com Mar 15, 2019 (updated: Mar 15, 2019)

EU climate Commissioner Miguel Arias Cañete addresses the Strasbourg plenary ahead of a crucial vote on 14 March. [Photo: European Parliament]

Members of the European Parliament voted in favour of increasing the EU’s 2030 emission cuts target to 55% and a net-zero mid-century target on Thursday (14 March), bringing an end to weeks of infighting.

At the monthly plenary session in Strasbourg, EU lawmakers backed a non-binding resolution on the European Commission’s draft climate plan for 2050.

369 MEPs voted in favour, 116 against and 40 abstained.

The main highlights included a call to increase the bloc’s overall emission cuts target for 2030 from the current 40% to a beefed-up 55%. MEPs have gradually come around to an increase to the benchmark since a landmark United Nations report was published last October.

However, that did not stop most of the centre-right European People’s Party (EPP) members from voting against the call for an increased 2030 goal.

European Commission data released last year showed that the EU is currently on track to achieve around 45% cuts to carbon dioxide, methane and other greenhouse gases.

Lawmakers also approved the EU executive’s push for a ‘climate neutral’ European economy, which is the lynchpin of its 2050 draft climate plan. The resolution calls on member states to do the same, which could prove crucial as national leaders will ultimately have the final say on the Commission’s plan.

At a recent meeting of Europe’s energy ministers, former MEP and Luxembourg’s current energy chief Claude Turmes warned that of the eight scenarios proposed by the Commission, only two actually stand a chance of making sure Europe sticks to the Paris climate accord.

Yesterday’s resolution also concluded that only the two most ambitious scenarios are adequate and called on what will be the next European Commission to present legislative proposal by 2022-2024.

Ministers for energy, environment and economy have all already held public debates about the Commission plan and heads of state and government are expected to have their say at next week’s European Council summit.

Commission officials are hopeful that EU leaders will give the draft plan their full attention at an upcoming summit in Romania on 9 May, as signatories to the Paris Agreement are meant to submit their long-term strategies to the UN by 2020.

EU climate boss Miguel Arias Cañete told the Parliament ahead of the vote that he wants the bloc’s future climate plans to form an integral part of the upcoming pan-European elections at the end of May, upping the pressure on leaders to broach the subject at the 9 May summit.

Bickering completed

The draft climate strategy was the catalyst for what was labelled a “bizarre” squabble among MEPs from different committees this year.

Both the environment and energy committees insisted that they were best placed to draft the resolution on behalf of the entire Parliament and that the others were welcome to submit amendments to their efforts.

Parliament officials were at a loss when both ENVI and ITRE committees pressed on with their own resolutions and put them to successful internal votes at the end of February.

Ultimately, the decision was made to submit a joint political group resolution (JRM), which was a mixture of all the positions, excluding those of the European Conservative and Reformists Group.

This was the resolution that finally got the green light.

This came as a relief for environmental groups, which expressed concerns that the energy committee’s resolution would be voted on next if the JRM failed to pass, sidelining the text backed by the Parliament’s environment committee, which they regarded as more ambitious.

Climate demos

MEPs also gave their support to the wave of climate marches and school strikes that have gained momentum across Europe.

Teenage Swedish activist Greta Thunberg, who recently gave an impassioned speech in Brussels in which she insisted the 2030 target should be increased to over 80%, has emerged as a figurehead of the youth movement.

This week, her efforts were recognised by the Nobel committee, which nominated her for its annual coveted Peace Prize.

On Friday (15 March), demonstrations are planned across Europe and other parts of the globe, which some commentators have suggested will be the largest climate marches ever held.
Atlantis wrote:
Your children will despise you for it.

My children will despise me for not panicking like an imbecile and begging technocrats to tax the shit out of me? I don't think so, I think future generations will be grateful to everyone who worked to keep the technocrats and their imbecile hordes in check.
European Union aims to become the world’s first climate neutral economy by 2050

European Union aims to become the world’s first climate neutral economy by 2050

The EU has announced a plan to achieve a zero-emissions climate within the next three decades.
Researchers this week urged the international community to act now on climate change.

The European Union has unveiled a strategy to become the world’s first climate neutral economy by 2050.

Its plan, announced Thursday, will include steps such as investing in technological solutions to help lower carbon emissions. The European Commission said the strategy would be applied to almost all EU policies.

Climate neutrality is achieved when carbon emissions are at zero. The Commission said achieving this by 2050 would help it meet the objectives of the Paris Agreement – ensuring temperature increases don’t exceed 2 degrees Celsius and aiming to keep them below 1.5 degrees Celsius.

However, it said the long-term strategy’s purpose was not to set targets, but to establish a vision and direction for member states.

The Commission added that the strategy was designed to be “socially fair” by strengthening the economy and creating jobs.

Joint action will be taken in seven key areas, including energy efficiency, deployment of renewables, and carbon capture and storage to address remaining emissions.

The Commission called on ministers in member states to debate how their domestic policies could be shaped to comply with the strategy.

Maros Sefcovic, the European Commission’s vice president for energy, said the strategy proved that meeting climate change targets did not have to be detrimental to the economy.

“We cannot safely live on a planet with a climate that is out of control. But that does not mean that to reduce emissions we should sacrifice the livelihoods of Europeans,” he said in a press release.

“Over the last years, we have shown how to reduce emissions while creating prosperity, high-quality local jobs, and improving people’s quality of life. Our strategy now shows that by 2050, it is realistic to make Europe both climate neutral and prosperous, while leaving no European and no region behind.”

Commissioner for Transport Violeta Bulc added that the EU’s goal to reach zero emissions by 2050 would see investments in zero-emissions vehicles and smart infrastructure, as well as an increase in the adoption of alternative fuels.

High stakes

On Wednesday, a report published by The Lancet medical journal showed that rising temperatures were already exposing the global population to “an unacceptably high health risk.”

Jointly authored by doctors, academics and policy professionals from 27 international institutions, the report warned that populations and their health systems were ill equipped to cope with rapidly rising temperatures.

Kris Ebi, professor of global health and environmental and occupational health science at the University of Washington, said action was vital.

“Increased mortality in extreme heatwaves is not something that may happen, it’s happening now and will continue as global temperatures continue to rise,” she said in a press release.

“There is abundant evidence that communities are not prepared for the ongoing increases in the frequency, intensity and duration of heatwaves. Actions are needed right now, matched with investments, such as implementing early warning systems for heatwaves, including mapping vulnerable populations and providing interventions designed to increase resilience during hot weather.”

Meanwhile, a UN Environment report published Tuesday warned that “unprecedented and urgent action” was required from every country in the world if the Paris Agreement’s objectives were to be met.
Sivad wrote:My children will despise me for not panicking like an imbecile and begging technocrats to tax the shit out of me? I don't think so, I think future generations will be grateful to everyone who worked to keep the technocrats and their imbecile hordes in check.

At this stage you are just babbling incoherent nonsense, and you know it.

You live in a technical world in which technology allows you unprecedented exploitation of our common natural resources. You are like the Trumpists who lie and cheat to build their golden towers by driving exploitation to unheard of highs. You don’t want democratic oversight as nothing must come between you and your insatiable greed.

If we could leave you to suffocate of your own greed, nobody would give a fuck, but you are determined to even devour your own children and their future.
Sivad wrote:I bet less than one in every thousand of those protestors has any clue about the science or the policy. :knife:

Ás Atlantis said, really it is about awareness and showcasing support over an issue than learning scientific jargon. This shows you that the youth take this issue more seriously than the elderly today as it is them who will be affected by climate change more.

Nonetheless you have to be a serious fool to think CO2 in the air doesn't have an climate impact as it retains heat.

Also I am a realist. I know we are going to be CO2 dependent for a few decades yet. But if people think more about their carbon footprint and actually go out their way to reduce it, it should halt the worse until technology catches up.
How dare these students care about their future!!! They should be binge drinking, dealing drugs, get stoned in discos or clobber each other at football matches. So many worthwhile activities. But no, these degenerates have to care about the planet.

At the very least they could be ransacking shops like the yellow vests:

What's wrong with you people?
Last edited by Atlantis on 16 Mar 2019 17:04, edited 1 time in total.
Technocrat: "OMFG the sky is literally falling with all the filthy life destroying carbon, quick give me all your money so I can save you!"
Plep: "If I gave you all my money what would you actually spend it on?" <injects truth serum>
Technocrat: "A private jet of course so I get to my golf course faster and in more comfort than I could with my helicopter".
:excited:

Atlantis wrote: I think this is the first protest movement in over 30 years that does have a genuine potential.

This is doubtful to me. At this point, most of those kids have not truly formulated their own ideas, they are mostly parroting what their parents and teachers are telling them. As they get older, they will find their own way, and they will have a very much diverse set of opinions on the matter, which means that in the future, they will not unify as easily as they have here.

Sivad wrote:I bet less than one in every thousand of those protestors has any clue about the science or the policy. :knife:

I would agree with this statement. Students, even college students generally don't have a rounded perspective on things like philosophy, politics, geopolitics, science, etc. etc. etc. It's doubtful they are well read enough to really have their own opinions.

That said, we shouldn't invalidate their current outlook and feelings towards the potential upheaval that's coming.

Further, I put forth the argument that it's automation, AI, and the rise of a potential global hyperpower (China) that will cause much more upheaval than climate change. The truth of the matter is, climate change will only affect the poorest on the planet, and the sad truth is, we've never cared much for them anyway. HUmanity will be able to manage through climate change for the most part.

@Pants-of-dog If you put it to a vote, you'd fin[…]

Are you hoping I want aids? No, I want you to b[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

Then why are people like you so worried about The[…]

Fake, it's reinvestment in communities attacked on[…]