Water Vapor is THE Dominant Greenhouse Gas - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Water vapor represents approximately 1.5% of the atmosphere. That is 15,000 ppmv.
Compare this to the annual increase in CO2 of ~1.3 ppmv of which 97% is naturally occurring.
Even John Kerry stated in Paris that if the European Union and the United States both stopped using ALL fossil fuels, it would not make any difference whatsoever. So why all the fuss?

Please, don't begin to tell me how water vapor doesn't matter. Its infrared spectrogram shows far more absorption of energy than CO2, so water vapor is both quantitatively and qualitatively a more critical factor. Nor does the time molecules are in the atmosphere the slightest bit important. All molecules react the same, whether they have been there for one day or one century. This is fundamental chemistry, which the AlGorians play games with.
Yes, this is a well known fact.

We are producing CO2, we are not producing more water vapor. Thus, the second order factor is what's changing here. Yes, it's second order, but none the less, it's a factor.
Rancid wrote:We are producing CO2, we are not producing more water vapor.

Most thermal electrical generation produces water vapor: coal, oil, gas, and nuclear power plants all produce water vapor.
blackjack21 wrote:Most thermal electrical generation produces water vapor: coal, oil, gas, and nuclear power plants all produce water vapor.

The oxidation of coal produces only carbon dioxide.
The equation is C + O2 -> CO2

In a nuclear reactor, U235 is bombarded with neutrons in controlled fission.
U236 then splits into Kr92 and Ba141

No water is produced, though much is used for moderation and cooling.
blackjack21 wrote:Most thermal electrical generation produces water vapor: coal, oil, gas, and nuclear power plants all produce water vapor.

The vapor turns to water eventually. CO2 does not as quickly get separated back into C and O. That is, more of it stays in the air, and for longer.
MrWonderful wrote:No water is produced, though much is used for moderation and cooling.

Water Vapor! All of them boil water to steam and send steam through turbines. :?: :knife:
@blackjack21,

Is net average water vapor around the globe going up?

More over, the real thing here is that water vapor turns to water lower in the atmosphere, were as CO2 and Methene do not. It's at the higher altitudes that the green house effects happen. Thus, CO2 has a larger impact on warming than water vapor. Even if water vapor in the air were to increase.

blackjack, I think you need to study this a lot more.

I like how you seem to be claiming you have secret information no one else has. :lol:
blackjack21 wrote:Water Vapor! All of them boil water to steam and send steam through turbines. :?: :knife:

Quite right. However this is not water that is produced by chemical reaction, but rather water that is simply heated. More on this in my next response to the next post by a different poster.

Aren't we having fun!
Rancid wrote:
Is net average water vapor around the globe going up?

More over, the real thing here is that water vapor turns to water lower in the atmosphere, were as (sic) CO2 and Methene (sic) do not. It's at the higher altitudes that the green house (sic) effects happen. Thus, CO2 has a larger impact on warming than water vapor. Even if water vapor in the air were to increase. (sic)(Incomplete sentence)(, after vapor, remove ., lower case "e"ven)

blackjack, I think you need to study this a lot more.

Rancid, I think you need to study this and grammar a lot more.
1. No, the average atmospheric humidity has been declining for decades.
2. The real thing here is that water absorbs radiation, whether it is in vapor form or cloud form.
Thus your representations are entirely incorrect, as well as your grammar.
Pants-of-dog wrote:If atmospheric vapour has been declining for decades, it is not causing the observed global warming.

See how smart you are! Mister Sun is responsible for our climate. And how many of your fellow Eco-Hysterics have informed you of the dominant nature of water vapor? Zero.
How many of your fellow Eco-Hysterics have informed you that THE dominant greenhouse gas is declining? Again, zero.

But you believe that 1.3 ppmv annual increase in CO2 is driving climate? And humans are responsible for "climate change" because we create 3% of this 1.3 ppmv annual increase?

I have some phlogisten to sell you. It's quite expensive but well worth the price!
Trust me. I'm scientifical and such.
MrWonderful wrote:See how smart you are! Mister Sun is responsible for our climate. And how many of your fellow Eco-Hysterics have informed you of the dominant nature of water vapor? Zero.
How many of your fellow Eco-Hysterics have informed you that THE dominant greenhouse gas is declining? Again, zero.

But you believe that 1.3 ppmv annual increase in CO2 is driving climate? And humans are responsible for "climate change" because we create 3% of this 1.3 ppmv annual increase?

I have some phlogisten to sell you. It's quite expensive but well worth the price!
Trust me. I'm scientifical and such.

So, we agree that even though water vapour is the dominant greenhouse gas, it is not the main driver of the observed global warming.

Something else must be causing it. Are you arguing that the sun is responsible for the observed global warming?
MrWonderful wrote:However this is not water that is produced by chemical reaction, but rather water that is simply heated.

The issue is the content of water vapor in the atmosphere. I'm just pointing out that H2O increases too. It precipitates faster than CO2, but it absorbs more solar radiation than CO2 does.

Most of what we see nowadays is urban heat island effect in my opinion. Warmer oceans also absorb less CO2, so that can be a factor as well. The idea that it is pure CO2 has been demonstrated to be false by climate science predictions themselves. You can't have a valid model and predictions derived from the models that never pan out.
The sun is not causing the warming of earth climates.

Sun & climate: moving in opposite directions
Over the last 35 years the sun has shown a cooling trend. However global temperatures continue to increase. If the sun's energy is decreasing while the Earth is warming, then the sun can't be the main control of the temperature.
https://skepticalscience.com/solar-acti ... -basic.htm
:lol: You can't even quote your source because it would show how false it actually is. You making up graphs isn't going to cut it.

Just English and scottish actually. Absolute ho[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

We're getting some shocking claims coming through.[…]

Most of us non- white men have found a different […]

@Unthinking Majority Canada goes beyond just t[…]