Bands should stop touring - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
The coronavirus has forced some bands to cancel concerts, but they should build on that by cancelling concerts entirely to reduce the carbon footprint caused by air travel, tour vehicles, the energy and resource costs of concert special effects and the fuel used by people commuting to concerts.

The Beatles stopped touring in 1966 but remained a success. Other performance avenues are available, such as broadcast and streaming TV.

Stopping tours would also have moral and physical benefits for the performers: fewer temptations to have sex with groupies and less pressure to use drugs to overcome tour fatigue.
Robert Urbanek wrote:The coronavirus has forced some bands to cancel concerts, but they should build on that by cancelling concerts entirely to reduce the carbon footprint caused by air travel, tour vehicles, the energy and resource costs of concert special effects and the fuel used by people commuting to concerts.

The Beatles stopped touring in 1966 but remained a success. Other performance avenues are available, such as broadcast and streaming TV.

Stopping tours would also have moral and physical benefits for the performers: fewer temptations to have sex with groupies and less pressure to use drugs to overcome tour fatigue.

The only downside to this is that many very distinguished artists would starve if limited to the income from records sales and downloads. For them, touring has evolved away from its classic role as album promotion into the primary source of income.
quetzalcoatl wrote:The only downside to this is that many very distinguished artists would starve if limited to the income from records sales and downloads. For them, touring has evolved away from its classic role as album promotion into the primary source of income.

On the other hand, vinyl records are making a comeback.

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2016/08/15/vinyl-records-comeback-really-looks/

And we need a 21st century version of Dick Clark's American Bandstand.
You want my Taylor Swift to stop touring?

I can't take it.

BYW: What Q said.
You know, you could do this as part of a control movement. People working from home, skyping, shut schools etc. Most of us can handle a 3 to 4 week lay-off. Artists could up the ticket price for a couple of Cronkites ($)
quetzalcoatl wrote:The only downside to this is that many very distinguished artists would starve if limited to the income from records sales and downloads. For them, touring has evolved away from its classic role as album promotion into the primary source of income.

Fun fact, before recordings were invented, the primary way musicians made money was through the sale of sheet music.
Robert Urbanek wrote:The coronavirus has forced some bands to cancel concerts, but they should build on that by cancelling concerts entirely to reduce the carbon footprint caused by air travel, tour vehicles, the energy and resource costs of concert special effects and the fuel used by people commuting to concerts.

Sure let's stop food trucks from delivering food to stores too because big trucks burn lots of diesel. Let's ban vacations outside the country because air travel is polluting. Actually let's just all grab a gun and put it in our mouths and fire.
Wouldn’t it be kind of beautiful though? The whole world staying home together? It is quite literally the 1 thing we could all do together to show solidarity. The very thought of it warms my heart, while I’m sure the hardcore economists feel faint at the notion..
A lot of bands have already cancelled or postponed their spring tours such as Celine Dion and Evanescence. Miley Cyrus cancelled her bushfire relief concert in Australia because travelling to the country is deemed dangerous for her and her crews. I thought she was overly cautious but Tom Hanks got the coronavirus in the Gold Coast in Queensland, Australia, while filming his next movie. Ivanka Trump is living under quarantine after she met with an Aussie interior minister who tested positive for COVID-19.

I am pretty sure this won't stop Dumb-as-shit Trump from having some rallies in the next few weeks. :knife:
Stormsmith wrote:You know, you could do this as part of a control movement. People working from home, skyping, shut schools etc. Most of us can handle a 3 to 4 week lay-off. Artists could up the ticket price for a couple of Cronkites ($)

You are on to something the left always wants more control of the individuals this the blue print for the future.

Then again those pesky unions like the teachers unions might have something to say about that.

Its just what our society needs for our youth (and population) to become more socially detached then they already are
Finfinder wrote:You are on to something the left always wants more control of the individuals this the blue print for the future.

Then again those pesky unions like the teachers unions might have something to say about that.

Its just what our society needs for our youth (and population) to become more socially detached then they already are

The OP'S was addressing environmetal issues, and I doubt that will happen any time soon. I wrote on coronavirus issues, my bad, but it's been on my mind a lot. In that respect, I stick to my point. Lets do what we can to minimise the issue.
Stormsmith wrote:The OP'S was addressing environmetal issues, and I doubt that will happen any time soon. I wrote on coronavirus issues, my bad, but it's been on my mind a lot. In that respect, I stick to my point. Lets do what we can to minimise the issue.

OK I got you, but lets keep it real here you need to stop pointing fingers at the USA and start talking about the failures of Canada and how they put Americans at risk by their mishandling of this virus.

@FiveofSwords Doesn't this 'ethnogenesis' mala[…]

Britain: Deliberately imports laborers from around[…]

There's nothing more progressive than supporting b[…]

A man from Oklahoma (United States) who travelled […]