Pandemics 101 AND! ZOMBIES - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By late
Good Ted talk about how epidemics work done back in 2018, and if you stay til the end, she discusses the potential problems of an epidemic of zombies.

Win/win.

Thesis: Humanity can't be completely wiped out by a pandemic. (Zombie infection is the exception which proves the rule.)

Zombie infection:
-No recovery.
-Dead don't stay dead.
-Infected seek out others to infect.

-We do have exceptions to the first one, most obviously HIV.
-Second point doesn't seem like a necessary precondition for everyone dying.
-Zoonotic diseases potentially provide an exception. The flea-carrying mice certainly sought out human society during the Black Death. Birds fly all over the place.

The video itself was alright and everything, but the thesis struck me as rather contrived.
Crantag wrote:
The video itself was alright and everything, but the thesis struck me as rather contrived.

It's a Ted talk, not a postgrad lecture.

Btw, a lot of Ted talks are a bit contrived. Usually because it's advocacy, and they are making the best case they can.
late wrote:It's a Ted talk, not a postgrad lecture.

Btw, a lot of Ted talks are a bit contrived. Usually because it's advocacy, and they are making the best case they can.

I figured by posting a video you were interested in discussion about it. Just giving my take aways.

Ted Talks haven't ever appealed to me much, never watched many and have generally found them not my speed.

I can understand what you mean about format. I will say that they don't seem to completely veer into the territory of disinformation, they are more so toeing the line it seems.

Edit: Actually on revisit, constructing an argument based on 'the exception which proves the rule' should warrant nothing but the deepest of scorn from any observer, as a matter of principle. Somehow this crap reminds me of Freakanomics.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

My knowledge of history is better than that knowle[…]

Gaza is not under Israeli occupation. Telling […]

https://twitter.com/ShadowofEzra/status/178113719[…]

Lies. Did you have difficulty understanding t[…]