This just keeps getting worse - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
"But now a study by three geologists says that a heat wave in 2020 has revealed a surge in methane emissions “potentially in much higher amounts” from a different source: thawing rock formations in the Arctic permafrost.

The Arctic has also delivered other sobering news. Polar Portal, a website where Danish Arctic research institutions present updated information about ice, said last week that a “massive melting event” had been big enough to cover Florida with two inches of water."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/clima...siberian-rock/

In recent years there has been a ton of research findings showing this getting worse than expected, and faster than expected.

And the frogs in the pot are just sitting there.

That would be you.
The Arctic ice extent with be a bit better than last year. We've had a la niña and more favourable weather. Sadly it's only a matter of time before another 2012 storm barrels through in August and destroys the ice that's left.

But the northern land masses of Siberia and Canada have been on fire, literally.
BeesKnee5 wrote:
The Arctic ice extent with be a bit better than last year. We've had a la niña and more favourable weather. Sadly it's only a matter of time before another 2012 storm barrels through in August and destroys the ice that's left.

But the northern land masses of Siberia and Canada have been on fire, literally.

The Sun is entering a warming phase, and the Moon is going to make flooding worse some places.

It's gonna be fun.
It is indeed bad. I don't think anything will be done.

We might have another 2-3 generations of humanity left before a mass dying event or extinction.
Rancid wrote:It is indeed bad. I don't think anything will be done.

We might have another 2-3 generations of humanity left before a mass dying event or extinction.

I think you have hit the nail on the head @Rancid. I actually think this is the case. I don't see enough being done and drought will cause conflict and mass starvation. 2-3 generations tops unless an actual war for nutrition finishes us off earlier. :hmm:
B0ycey wrote:
I think you have hit the nail on the head @Rancid. I actually think this is the case. I don't see enough being done and drought will cause conflict and mass starvation. 2-3 generations tops unless an actual war for nutrition finishes us off earlier. :hmm:

Call me sick/morbid, but one of the reason's I support gun rights, is that I want to have a gun handy in case I need to commit suicide if things get really dire for humanity. My idea way to off myself is eating my gun.
Rancid wrote:Call me sick/morbid, but one of the reason's I support gun rights, is that I want to have a gun handy in case I need to commit suicide if things get really dire for humanity. My idea way to off myself is eating my gun.

Well I would say you're safe from climate change as is everyone else on PoFo in terms of extinction Rancid so perhaps you can put the gun away. :lol:

Nonetheless I just compare the weather events today from just a decade ago and every year we are getting more drought and fires (as well as extreme rain). I just don't see how we can feed the world if this continues for another 100 years given drought causes arid farmland. This isn't even about rising sea levels or pollution anymore. It is about the ecosystem for our survival and although it should be obvious what is coming, because it is for the next generation to manage, politician leaders just don't want to put in the effort needed and basically are doing the minimum which isn't enough. :hmm:
B0ycey wrote:Well I would say you're safe from climate change as is everyone else on PoFo in terms of extinction Rancid so perhaps you can put the gun away. :lol:

Nonetheless I just compare the weather events today from just a decade ago and every year we are getting more drought and fires (as well as extreme rain). I just don't see how we can feed the world if this continues for another 100 years given drought causes arid farmland. This isn't even about rising sea levels or pollution anymore. It is about the ecosystem for our survival and although it should be obvious what is coming, because it is for the next generation to manage, politician leaders just don't want to put in the effort needed and basically are doing the minimum which isn't enough. :hmm:

I think I recently saw that the temp. is rising 0.2 deg. C per decade. And, IMO, this will speed up fairly rapidly.
So, 10 decades X 0.2 deg C/decade is 2.0 deg. C increase in temp as a minimum, and more like 3 deg. c as it speeds up.
We are at 1.2 deg C above pre-insudtrial temps now. So, 1.2 + 2 = 3.2 and 1.2 + 3 = 4.2 deg C.

These temps are somewhat above when grain stops growing well and the harvest falls by (say) 50%. Society can't survive a 50% drop in food production.

Therefore, we have less than 100 years before most people die.

The Club of Rome report of 1972 "The Limits to Growth' is right on track for us to see the 90% die off it predicted.
Steve_American wrote:
I think I recently saw that the temp. is rising 0.2 deg. C per decade. And, IMO, this will speed up fairly rapidly.
So, 10 decades X 0.2 deg C/decade is 2.0 deg. C increase in temp as a minimum, and more like 3 deg. c as it speeds up.
We are at 1.2 deg C above pre-insudtrial temps now. So, 1.2 + 2 = 3.2 and 1.2 + 3 = 4.2 deg C.

These temps are somewhat above when grain stops growing well and the harvest falls by (say) 50%. Society can't survive a 50% drop in food production.

Therefore, we have less than 100 years before most people die.

The Club of Rome report of 1972 "The Limits to Growth' is right on track for us to see the 90% die off it predicted.

There's this guy in the Midwest that grows oranges in the winter.

He uses an earth sheltered greenhouse that uses a simple heat exchange system (big tubes in the ground with a couple little fans to move the air) to keep it warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

Never occurred to me we might need it because the weather got too hot.

Where we live, there have been several heatwaves so far this year. One of these led to over a hundred deaths. They would have been worse except the lethal wildfires to the west obscured the sun enough to prevent more deaths due to heat.

And it will get worse next year. And the year after that. And so on.

This is the hottest year of the last hundred, but it is also the coolest year of the next hundred years. Welcome to the new normal.
late wrote:
There's this guy in the Midwest that grows oranges in the winter.

He uses an earth sheltered greenhouse that uses a simple heat exchange system (big tubes in the ground with a couple little fans to move the air) to keep it warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

Never occurred to me we might need it because the weather got too hot.

ZD_3_gsgsnk

Off-topic. Not pessimistic enough.

= D
With the huge demand from the Chinese, and very possibly India and other Asian or even African countries after them, I already concede that this is a lost cause.

And more importantly, down here we are facing much more direct existential threats than climatic catastrophes that there is more than enough reason for us to stop breeding, which means we have already contributed by bringing fewer human beings to rob the Earth for its resources.
Even if most people die we will still have hundreds of millions left prancing around making new technologies and stuff. Meh who cares.

Most important act in the coming decades is to set up colonies on the moon and mars. Then Earth becomes irrelevant long term. A billion more earths in the galaxy.
Igor Antunov wrote:Even if most people die we will still have hundreds of millions left prancing around making new technologies and stuff. Meh who cares.

Most important act in the coming decades is to set up colonies on the moon and mars. Then Earth becomes irrelevant long term. A billion more earths in the galaxy.

@Igor Antunov , come on... Cosmic fantasy and Misanthropy all in one post?
Igor Antunov wrote:Even if most people die we will still have hundreds of millions left prancing around making new technologies and stuff. Meh who cares.

And then Chris Pratt can sabotage her hibernation chamber and force himself upon Jennifer Lawrence. Man that movie had a good plot, why did she have to wreck it with her shitty acting.
annatar1914 wrote:@Igor Antunov , come on... Cosmic fantasy and Misanthropy all in one post?

@Igor Antunov is the voice of Faustian man, @annatar1914, and proud of the fact.

And cosmic fantasy and misanthropy go together like eggs and bacon. After all, if you hate humanity then what else is left to you except cosmic fantasy?
There is nothing fantastical about space colonization anymore. It's going to happen very soon, deal with it. And while I care about Humanity as a whole we are long term far more resilient than our current cushy existence-but only if we set ourselves up elsewhere. All our eggs are in one basket, once we change this, earth becomes expendable. I think at least 90% of the populace is utterly useless, losing it would not change our trajectory much in the multi-thousand year term.

We will have a colony on moon and mars by 2050. Climate change won't affect us much until the 2100's. We are good so far. Biggest threat is a stray asteroid short-mid term and long term there are no threats if we disperse our eggs onto multiple planets.

So the evidence shows that it was almost certainl[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Find Someone Who Loves You Like Israel Loves Att[…]

Hmmm, it the Ukraine aid package is all over mains[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0pAf3aBt18 How […]