Disastrous UN Climate Report Spells "Red Alert for Humanity", by Breaking Points & CNBC - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Disastrous Climate Report Spells "Red Alert for Humanity"
Aug 10, 2021, 37,831 views, 2.2K likes, 391 dislikes
Breaking Points

Greenland and Antarctica will keep melting for 2000 years, we will warm by 1.5 deg. C by 2040,
and to 2 deg. C is likely by 2070, even if we take drastic action now.

Yet, WWII style rationing of fosil fuel produced stuff is TOTALLY OFF THE TABLE.

Last edited by Steve_American on 11 Aug 2021 15:40, edited 1 time in total.
Igor Antunov wrote:A typical person can subsist on just 1,200 daily calories and be perfectly healthy. At least 500 million in the developed world consume over 3,500 calories a day and are grossly obese.

No need to panic, food production is up to par-we just need to eat the fat people.

With all due respect (and I have none for the part I highlighted), it is time to panic.
According to some expert's figures, the world has always warmed faster than the worst reasonable predictions.
. . That the world has warmed 1.19 deg. C so far.
. . And is warming 0.2 deg. C per decade, and this rate will certainly incease from that figure.

So, at this 0.2 deg/decade rate, the remaining 0.3 deg to 1.5 deg will happen in less than 15 years (1.5 decades). Fifteen years is in 2036. But less than 15 means by 2035.

AND, the report says that a 1.5 deg. C increase WILL mean massive crop failures in almost all regions of the world. That means billions will die.
It is pointless to debate climate change.

The science clearly shows it is an urgent problem.

The politicians and the wealthy do not care because they make too much money by continuing to do things the same way.

The droughts and floods and wildfires and heatwaves this year are going to continue to kill hundreds of people each year as they did this year. Probably more. We will normalize it.
Igor Antunov wrote:Panic means you've given up and are ready to lie down and die.

Only losers panic. We must remain cold and calculating.

No.!!
Panic is when you turn and run from the flash flood.

Panic is when the army turns and runs from the enemy who is killing them.

It is not when the army drops to the grond and curls into a fetal position.

OTOH, I hope we do some thinking and do the right things.
Pants-of-dog wrote:It is pointless to debate climate change.

The science clearly shows it is an urgent problem.

The politicians and the wealthy do not care because they make too much money by continuing to do things the same way.

The droughts and floods and wildfires and heatwaves this year are going to continue to kill hundreds of people each year as they did this year. Probably more. We will normalize it.

We may try to "normalize it", but it will keep getting worse, until we are all dead, if we can't do enough.

We must do enough. No matter the cost in money, or the political power of the elites that we will have to nulify.

Failure is not an option!
Gardener wrote:The IPCC have predicted environmental catastrophe ? Gosh.. how unusual.

You might find THIS interesting...

https://www.aei.org/carpe-diem/18-spect ... is-year-3/

I find the last paragraph to be particularly amusing :)

None of that disproves the current dire situation we are in.

You are trying to poison the well, which is a logical fallacy that involves character assassination.

Therefore, this whole post of yours is useless.

Yes I was using the word fun, loosely , ironicall[…]

Trans people are just people. They have no less an[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

You should impose your own standards on yourself.[…]

No, I want you to be happy. I will be happy when[…]