"None of us will ever experience a year that cool again" - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
#15207105
"In the middle of a historically sweltering summer, a NASA researcher stood before Congress and declared the unvarnished, undeniable scientific truth: “The greenhouse effect has been detected,” James Hansen said. “And it is changing our climate now.”The year was 1988. Global temperatures were about 0.6 degrees Celsius (1.1 degrees Fahrenheit) above the preindustrial average. It was, at the time, the hottest 12-month period scientists had ever seen.

None of us will ever experience a year that cool again.


In 2021, global temperatures were between 1.1 and 1.2 degrees Celsius (2.2 degrees Fahrenheit) above the preindustrial average, according to new data from NASA, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and Berkeley Earth.

Despite a La Niña weather pattern in the Pacific Ocean, which tends to cool the planet, 2021 was roughly tied for sixth-hottest year ever observed, scientists say. All of the seven hottest years on record have happened in the last seven years.

The new global temperature data sets, which come from three of the world’s top climate research institutions, are packed with alarming signs of a world in crisis."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2022/01/13/global-temperature-record-climate-change/
#15207118
late wrote:"In the middle of a historically sweltering summer, a NASA researcher stood before Congress

After he secretly arranged to have the air conditioning in the building disabled in order to lend credence to his blatant lies.
and declared the unvarnished, undeniable scientific truth: “The greenhouse effect has been detected,” James Hansen said. “And it is changing our climate now.” The year was 1988. Global temperatures were about 0.6 degrees Celsius (1.1 degrees Fahrenheit) above the preindustrial average.

No, that was a lie. The real "pre-industrial" average -- i.e., the average temperature of the earth for at least the last several hundred million years -- was in fact at least several degrees higher than the temperature in 1988. What Hansen and the other anti-fossil-fuel hysteria mongers incorrectly and deceitfully call the "pre-industrial" average was actually the temperature at the end of the coldest 500-year period in the last 10,000 years. By dishonestly choosing that cold period as their basis for comparison, and falsely and dishonestly calling it the "pre-industrial" average when it is in fact only the Little Ice Age average, they falsely and dishonestly make it seem like the world has warmed beyond the limits of natural variation when it indisputably has not.
It was, at the time, the hottest 12-month period scientists had ever seen.

After they falsified the temperature records of the 1930s to make them cooler. However, temperatures plunged immediately afterwards, in September 1988, putting the lie to Hansen's claims.
None of us will ever experience a year that cool again.

2008 was that cool or cooler.
In 2021, global temperatures were between 1.1 and 1.2 degrees Celsius (2.2 degrees Fahrenheit) above the preindustrial average, according to new data from NASA, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and Berkeley Earth.

Again, calling the temperature at the end of the coldest 500-year period in the last 10,000 years the "pre-industrial" average is a bald lie designed to divert attention from all the natural factors that affect climate, and pretend that only increasing CO2 emissions from industrial civilization have affected climate in the last 200 years.
All of the seven hottest years on record have happened in the last seven years.

No, that is false. 1998 was hotter than 2017, 2018 and 2021.
The new global temperature data sets, which come from three of the world’s top climate research institutions, are packed with alarming signs of a world in crisis."

Because they have been systematically falsified to create that impression. In reality, anyone can look out their window and confirm that those who claim there is some sort of climate "crisis" or "emergency" are simply lying. This is not disputable, and any claim to the contrary is self-evidently just gaslighting.
#15207151
A year that cool??? :eh:

On June 29, 2021, the temperature in Lytton, British Columbia, hit 49.6 °C (121.3 °F), the highest temperature ever recorded in Canada, although a nearby more modern station reported that the extreme was 1 °C lower.

Just How Historic Was Western Canada’s Heat Wave? ‘Nothing Can Compare’
It’s not hype or exaggeration to call it the most extreme in world weather records.
https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2021/07/03/ ... Heat-Wave/


No @Truth To Power 1998 and other years you mentioned were NOT hotter.

Never in the century-plus history of world weather observation have so many all-time heat records fallen by such a large margin than in the past week’s historic heat wave in western North America. The only heat wave that compares is the great Dust Bowl heat wave of July 1936 in the U.S. Midwest and southcentral Canada. But even that cannot compare to what happened in the northwestern U.S. and Western Canada over the past week.
#15207257
Truth To Power wrote:After he secretly arranged to have the air conditioning in the building disabled in order to lend credence to his blatant lies.


Please provide evidence for this claim. Thanks.

No, that was a lie. The real "pre-industrial" average -- i.e., the average temperature of the earth for at least the last several hundred million years -- was in fact at least several degrees higher than the temperature in 1988. What Hansen and the other anti-fossil-fuel hysteria mongers incorrectly and deceitfully call the "pre-industrial" average was actually the temperature at the end of the coldest 500-year period in the last 10,000 years. By dishonestly choosing that cold period as their basis for comparison, and falsely and dishonestly calling it the "pre-industrial" average when it is in fact only the Little Ice Age average, they falsely and dishonestly make it seem like the world has warmed beyond the limits of natural variation when it indisputably has not.


Please provide evidence for this claim. Thanks.

After they falsified the temperature records of the 1930s to make them cooler.


Please provide evidence for this claim. Thanks.

However, temperatures plunged immediately afterwards, in September 1988, putting the lie to Hansen's claims.


Please provide evidence for this claim. Thanks.

2008 was that cool or cooler.


Please provide evidence for this claim. Thanks.

...

No, that is false. 1998 was hotter than 2017, 2018 and 2021.


Please provide evidence for this claim. Thanks.

Because they have been systematically falsified to create that impression.


Please provide evidence for this claim. Thanks.

In reality, anyone can look out their window and confirm that those who claim there is some sort of climate "crisis" or "emergency" are simply lying. This is not disputable, and any claim to the contrary is self-evidently just gaslighting.


Preemptive accusations of gaslighting are not an argument.

When Canadians were looking out of their windows and dying of heat, they were experiencing the climate crisis.

Just like the Germans who died in floods.
#15207287
Godstud wrote:A year that cool??? :eh:

On June 29, 2021, the temperature in Lytton, British Columbia, hit 49.6 °C (121.3 °F), the highest temperature ever recorded in Canada, although a nearby more modern station reported that the extreme was 1 °C lower.

Lytton records Canada's highest temperature in the summer more often than any other station, so it is the one spot that is most likely to record Canada's highest temperature ever.
Just How Historic Was Western Canada’s Heat Wave? ‘Nothing Can Compare’
It’s not hype or exaggeration to call it the most extreme in world weather records.
https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2021/07/03/ ... Heat-Wave/

OTC, it is absurd hype and exaggeration. The highest temperature ever recorded in the world happened more than 100 years ago, and it was more than 7C hotter than the Lytton record in 2021:

https://www.google.com/search?q=record+ ... e&ie=UTF-8
No @Truth To Power 1998 and other years you mentioned were NOT hotter.

Yes they were.
Never in the century-plus history of world weather observation have so many all-time heat records fallen by such a large margin than in the past week’s historic heat wave in western North America. The only heat wave that compares is the great Dust Bowl heat wave of July 1936 in the U.S. Midwest and southcentral Canada. But even that cannot compare to what happened in the northwestern U.S. and Western Canada over the past week.

Well, actually, it would compare, if the thermometer readings for the 1930s had not been retroactively altered downward.
#15207349
Sure, ignore everything in favour of your narrative.

All of the world is not Death Valley. Lytton is not even close to being a desert and is only 1,400 miles NORTH, and is NOT a desert known for extremely high temperatures.

Lytton:
Image

Death Valley:
Image

Any more dumb comparisons you want to make?

Truth To Power wrote:Well, actually, it would compare, if the thermometer readings for the 1930s had not been retroactively altered downward.
Conspiracy theory stupidity. Just dismiss things that don't fit, eh?
#15207462
The underlying problem is the lying.

There are places where science is done. This isn't one of those places.

TP is doing propaganda, amazingly dumb, brain dead, propaganda. He keeps lying trying to create the appearance of controversy. The reality is that climate change became fully accepted by the scientific community a generation ago.

Let me repeat that, it's been a generation.

Every science organization supports climate change. The only people that do not are paid shills for Big Oil, and lunatics; and people that are paid lunatics.

About a billion people depend on water from the Himalayas. The ice is melting, as it is in most places. Which means eventually a billion people will go months without water.

Meaning they will leave, or die.
#15207475
Godstud wrote:Sure, ignore everything in favour of your narrative.

As they say in Japan, "It's mirror time!"
All of the world is not Death Valley.

Or Lytton. You claimed Lytton's high temperature showed the whole world was roasting.
Lytton is not even close to being a desert and is only 1,400 miles NORTH, and is NOT a desert known for extremely high temperatures.

It is not a desert, and contrary to your false and disingenuous implication, I never said it was; but it is definitely known for having the highest summertime temperatures in Canada more often than any other station.
Any more dumb comparisons you want to make?

Huh? You're the one who claimed that one high temperature in Lytton demonstrated that the whole world was hotter, not me.
Conspiracy theory stupidity. Just dismiss things that don't fit, eh?

It's not a "theory" when it is public knowledge.
#15207477
late wrote:The underlying problem is the lying.

By anti-fossil-fuel hysteria mongers. Right.
There are places where science is done. This isn't one of those places.

Science can be done anywhere.
The reality is that climate change became fully accepted by the scientific community a generation ago.

Notice the false and disingenuous substitution of "climate change" for the conclusively falsified hypothesis that the earth's surface temperature is primarily determined by atmospheric CO2. Yes, every informed adult (not just scientists) knows that climate changes and always has. Contrary to your pretensions, that fact is not the same as the falsified hypothesis that the earth's surface temperature is primarily determined by atmospheric CO2.
Let me repeat that, it's been a generation.

A generation of lies and hysteria mongering. Right.
Every science organization supports climate change.

But not your falsified hypothesis.
The only people that do not are paid shills for Big Oil, and lunatics; and people that are paid lunatics.

Who is saying that climate has not changed or does not change?
About a billion people depend on water from the Himalayas. The ice is melting, as it is in most places.

And being replaced by snowfall, as it is in most places.
Which means eventually a billion people will go months without water.

That is not going to happen. It is nothing but hysterical nonsense you have made up.
Meaning they will leave, or die.

More absurd hysteria mongering.
#15207491
Truth To Power wrote:Or Lytton. You claimed Lytton's high temperature showed the whole world was roasting.
No. I provided a source that showed it wasn't just one location. You chose to ignore it.

Truth To Power wrote:It is not a desert, and contrary to your false and disingenuous implication, I never said it was; but it is definitely known for having the highest summertime temperatures in Canada more often than any other station.
Yes, but it's by no means comparable to Death Valley where they have notoriously high temperatures most of the time.

Truth To Power wrote:Huh? You're the one who claimed that one high temperature in Lytton demonstrated that the whole world was hotter, not me.
I posted a source. You did fuck-all.

Canada had a whole bunch of record highs(the source showed this), and the weather wasn't limited to one location, but you chose to ignore that.

Truth To Power wrote:It's not a "theory" when it is public knowledge.
False. Support it. Show me a source that supports your "theory". I don't believe you simply because you claim something is "public knowledge".

Global warming and climate change is public knowledge.
#15207498
Truth To Power wrote:As they say in Japan, "It's mirror time!"

Or Lytton. You claimed Lytton's high temperature showed the whole world was roasting.

It is not a desert, and contrary to your false and disingenuous implication, I never said it was; but it is definitely known for having the highest summertime temperatures in Canada more often than any other station.

Huh? You're the one who claimed that one high temperature in Lytton demonstrated that the whole world was hotter, not me.

It's not a "theory" when it is public knowledge.


The fact that Lytton is hotter than the rest of Canada does not change the fact that the temperature last summer in Lytton was unprecedented and higher than any temperature recorded in Canada since records began in 1850 or so.
#15207519
Unthinking Majority wrote:1998 was a big el nino year I believe. It's an aberration.


Yes.

Prior to the last few years, it was the hottest year on record (i.e. since they started measuring temperature globally in 1850 or so).

If @Truth To Power is trying to use 1998 as an argument that the last few years are not the hottest on record, he is implicitly agreeing that the temperatures of the last few years are comparable to the very hottest.
#15207525
Unthinking Majority wrote:The earth has been far warmer than today in distant history, but it hasn't been this warm in the last 150 years. We should be fairly concerned, but not in full panic.


IIRC, the UN-IPCC report said it is time to panic. About 2 years ago it said we must reduce CO2 emissions in 10 years, now 8 years, to net zero, or see a +2 deg. C world more than now by 2090.

That +3 deg.C world from preindustrial temps will kill billions because worldwide grain crop harvests will be over 50% less than normal.

.
#15207526
Steve_American wrote:IIRC, the UN-IPCC report said it is time to panic. About 2 years ago it said we must reduce CO2 emissions in 10 years, now 8 years, to net zero, or see a +2 deg. C world more than now by 2090.

That +3 deg.C world from preindustrial temps will kill billions because worldwide grain crop harvests will be over 50% less than normal.

.

Not worried about crop yields. By 2090 a raspberry will be the size of a cantaloupe. People are assuming technology in 100 years will be the same as now. It will be vastly different. We'll have AI to solve most of our complex problems.

I think flooding will be the worst issue.

The Russians have captured back Veliki, Prodhody a[…]

Facts are not subject to opinion polls. Why are […]

They aren't all worse. Many are better. USA does[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

What about NATO is so great now? Putin attacks ou[…]