Why should we go to Mars? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
#15208482
Why is Elon Musk spending billions of dollars to try to colonize Mars? What is the value of colonizing this barren wasteland? Is there oil on Mars? No. Are there trees? No. Is there food? No. What is there that we want? Almost nothing. It would be more expensive to go there and settle than it would benefit us. It would cost a fortune to install a livable environment there.

Why is the President wasting money on a Space Force? Why is he such an asshole that he would spend money to go travel away from the sun which is such a vital source of energy? I don't understand.
#15208522
Why shouldn't billionaires spend their wealth on something besides yachts and cars? At least by going to space he is advancing technology.

Do you think we're going to always be locked into Earth?


Space Force is dumb. I'll grant you that.
#15208564
Rancid wrote:I'm with @Godstud. Better they spend their money on that, than bullshit.

Also, the Space force is not bullshit. It is extremely important to watch and protect space assets.

Ooh, ooh! I want to be a Space Cadet in the Space Force! :excited:

Image
#15208567
We should go to Mars because Antarctica is too cold.
#15208571
We have just the option to become an interplanetary species or to get extinct by the next mass dying event (Asteroid, Yellowstone, Super Erruptions....).





Tech could also save our planet:


There was a Harvard project founded by Bill Gates to spray and Aerosol/Dust in the atmosphere to reflect sun light. But even small scale trials were forbidden.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/arielcohen ... ns-linger/
Last edited by Sandzak on 24 Jan 2022 16:20, edited 1 time in total.
By late
#15208577
Elon Musk is something of a hustler.

We are centuries away from bring ready to colonize Mars. Centuries...

There is a crap ton of work that needs to be done to get ready, and he's not talking about that.

Which means it's a publicity stunt.
#15208599
@late Elon Musk has done more for space research in the last 15 years than NASA has done in over 30 years.

If you don't take steps you can't get where you are going. He's at least moving things forward, which cannot be said for other billionaires who are only interested in yachts, cars, mansions, fake universities, and buildings with their names on them.
#15208616
Sandzak wrote:We have just the option to become an interplanetary species or to get extinct by the next mass dying event (Asteroid, Yellowstone, Super Erruptions....).


Tech could also save our planet:


There was a Harvard project founded by Bill Gates to spray and Aerosol/Dust in the atmosphere to reflect sun light. But even small scale rials were forbidden.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/arielcohen ... ns-linger/

Just last week I saw very new youtube video about "cloud brightening".

The plan it to spray sea water up into the sky, in exactly the way that will make the salt water droplets be just the right tiny size that maximizes the reflectivity of the clouds. They will use ships that can be moved around to do it. Sea water it about the cheapest thing there is. Sea spray is already being created by the wind and waves. It isn't polluting. The main place to do this is in the Arctic Ocean in summer time to cool the water a lot. But, other places are prime targets also.

I have thought this was a good idea for many years, but I didn't know that droplet size is critical. Great minds think alike.
.
By late
#15208645
Godstud wrote:
@late Elon Musk has done more for space research in the last 15 years than NASA has done in over 30 years.

If you don't take steps you can't get where you are going. He's at least moving things forward, which cannot be said for other billionaires who are only interested in yachts, cars, mansions, fake universities, and buildings with their names on them.



For one thing, it's Space, not space.

For another, we were putting people in Space over a half century ago. For another, NASA is deploying actual research, as we speak. Groundbreaking.

Lastly, moving things forward means getting progress on our Space to do list. That's mining the Moon, a base at L5, figuring out how to divert killer asteroids, developing mining in the Belt, and scientific research.

https://www.nasa.gov/missions
By Rich
#15208658
Elon Musk is certainly a very smart man and unlike most politicians and business leaders he's actually worth listening to in interviews. He is perhaps a bit mad. I do wonder as I write this whether extremely high levels of intelligence preclude complete sanity. He's certainly no saint. Because of his intelligence and his successes its with some trepidation that I'm flat out opposing him on the viability not just the desirability of a Mars base.

Its incredible. Its just incredible to think that Star Trek debuted in September 1966, who back then had the clarity, the vision, the foresight to predict that we'd be sitting here in 2022 and not a single woman, not a single African Man, not a single Asian Man, Amerindian or aboriginee, no Trans or non-binary has ever stepped forth on the moon? :lol: I have to say I do find it amusing how upset some progressives seem to get when it is suggested that no Cis White American man has ever walked on the moon.

Anyway for those who don't buy "the conspiracy theories" we've got the 50 year anniversary celebrations approaching on December 14th. Although I guess a fifty year hiatus in our journey towards the Stars is not much. Even by the conventional history it took 3800 years for the Great Pyramid to be surpassed.
#15208666
My bigger problem with Musk isn't Musk, but all the morons that worship him like a God.

Don't get me wrong. it's ok to listen to him, it's ok to gleen some lessons from him, but have your own fucking brain. His word is not gospel and should never be taken as such.
#15208704
Rancid wrote:My bigger problem with Musk isn't Musk, but all the morons that worship him like a God.

Don't get me wrong. it's ok to listen to him, it's ok to gleen some lessons from him, but have your own fucking brain. His word is not gospel and should never be taken as such.

….

…does… does this mean I don’t get to be a Space Cadet…? :*(
#15208710
Godstud wrote:Why shouldn't billionaires spend their wealth on something besides yachts and cars? At least by going to space he is advancing technology.

Do you think we're going to always be locked into Earth?


Space Force is dumb. I'll grant you that.

Uber wealthy people can only consume so much. There's only so many cars, yachts, mansions a rich person can use and only so many hours in the day to use them.

If you have Elon Musk money most of your money either goes into the markets/investments or you its tied up in your own businesses. Musk has more money than he knows what to do with so he's playing with spaceships like I did as a child.

His stated goal is to start a human colony on Mars in order to ensure the permanent survival of the human race in case of disaster (asteroid, nuclear exchange etc). He wants to colonize space.
By Rich
#15208884
late wrote:For one thing, it's Space, not space.

Why does no one believe me, when I say I've been into Space?
#15208894
Rich wrote:Why does no one believe me, when I say I've been into Space?

People believe that I’ve been into Space. They keep calling me a “Space Cadet”. Which is jolly nice of them. :)
#15208897
Potemkin wrote:People believe that I’ve been into Space. They keep calling me a “Space Cadet”. Which is jolly nice of them. :)

I actually looked up the joining the Space Force thing. You have to be an active duty officer in the US Army, Navy, or Marines. It states explicitly that Air Force members are not eligible, which seems counter intuitive, but maybe it is because all of the Air Force members would want to sign up stat.

It says on their FAQ page that Air Force and Coast Guard members might be eligible in the future.

So, here's what you need to do, Pot.

Find you a good American tourist, marry her, get your US passport, join the Marines, become an officer, transfer to Space Force, and then, be a Space Cadet.
By Rich
#15208936
Potemkin wrote:People believe that I’ve been into Space. They keep calling me a “Space Cadet”. Which is jolly nice of them. :)

I have been into Space, I still like to listen to them occasionally. ;)

The Russians have captured Vornonove and Borivske […]

@Scamp There are criminals everywhere in the d[…]

The Yankee invasion of the South continues. I can[…]

Well, you have not. A woman seeking an abortion d[…]