California went big on rooftop solar. Now that's a problem for landfills - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
MistyTiger wrote:And it seems like he wants to focus on the negative aspects of the solar panels. Solar power can lower the cost of electricity and that would help in a region like New England where utility costs keep rising. I would love to go solar and lower the Eversource bill. We just had a rate increase in August and we have long winters so we will expect to pay more than last winter.

Yes, you would love to go solar. But what's stopping you?
Pants-of-dog wrote:@BlutoSays

If you think having solar panels on your roof is a fire hazard, note that having a giant gas or diesel tank and generator on your roof is even more dangerous.

They're a hazard because once a structure is on fire, you cannot direct water to where the fire is in certain situations because solar panels impede that. That puts other surrounding structures at risk.
BlutoSays wrote:They're a hazard because once a structure is on fire, you cannot direct water to where the fire is in certain situations because solar panels impede that. That puts other surrounding structures at risk.

Not if they are on the roof.

Your own video explains how firefighters do not spray water from the roof, and the reason for making a hole on the roof has nothing to do with spraying water in.

And having a gas tank on the roof also would cause the same problem.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Not if they are on the roof.

Your own video explains how firefighters do not spray water from the roof, and the reason for making a hole on the roof has nothing to do with spraying water in.

And having a gas tank on the roof also would cause the same problem.

HULLO. What the fuck are you talking about? A gas tank on the roof?

The firefighters spray water on to the roof to help extinguish the fire as the fire burns through the shingles and the underlayment.

Don't fucking argue with me. I just watched them do it two years ago at a fire here locally.
BlutoSays wrote:HULLO. What the fuck are you talking about? A gas tank on the roof?

I see that you have not read my posts carefully.

Please go back and do so.

The firefighters spray water on to the roof to help extinguish the fire as the fire burns through the shingles and the underlayment.

If you are talking about pitched roofs such as those seen on residential construction, then the firefighters are not going to be on the roof and making holes anyway.

If they are simply trying to contain the fire to a single residence, then it does not matter if they can aim the water exactly under a solar panel.

Don't fucking argue with me. I just watched them do it two years ago at a fire here locally.

You may have seen things incorrectly or not understood what you were watching.
Pants-of-dog wrote:I see that you have not read my posts carefully.

Please go back and do so.

If you are talking about pitched roofs such as those seen on residential construction, then the firefighters are not going to be on the roof and making holes anyway.

If they are simply trying to contain the fire to a single residence, then it does not matter if they can aim the water exactly under a solar panel.

You may have seen things incorrectly or not understood what you were watching.

It certainly does matter if they can aim the streams of water without hindrance of solar panels.

Meanwhile, it's understood that you want renewables so badly, that you'll say anything and lie to cover against real world experience.
BlutoSays wrote:It certainly does matter if they can aim the streams of water without hindrance of solar panels.

Not if the only objective is to keep the flame from spreading to other buildings.

Shingles and other roofing materials under solar panels would have significantly less oxygen than the rest of the roof and would not burn as hot. In fact, the temperature might not even get hot enough to burn these materials enough to ignite them. Especially since most modern roofing materials have low flame spread ratings due to chemical additives.

Since the firefighters are not concerned about preserving the structure and only want to saturate it, precise aim is not required.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Not if the only objective is to keep the flame from spreading to other buildings.

Shingles and other roofing materials under solar panels would have significantly less oxygen than the rest of the roof and would not burn as hot. In fact, the temperature might not even get hot enough to burn these materials enough to ignite them. Especially since most modern roofing materials have low flame spread ratings due to chemical additives.

Since the firefighters are not concerned about preserving the structure and only want to saturate it, precise aim is not required.

No.

There are many objectives. The main one is putting out the fire as quickly as possible. Solar panels hinder that objective.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oex20hQeQp4 No, […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhTHsvuKa4s

He's a parasite

Trump Derangement Syndrome lives. :O