California went big on rooftop solar. Now that's a problem for landfills - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Pants-of-dog wrote:You should do the same analysis for your own car, including its battery.

Chances are your car would be even worse.

Easy. There are 200+ million cars on the road in the U.S. today, most of them gasoline with a low profile battery of maybe 12-18 inches by 10 by 8, give or take.

Chances are you don't know what you're talking about as usual, and your spin just isn't holding up anymore.
BlutoSays wrote:Easy. There are 200+ million cars on the road in the U.S. today, most of them gasoline with a low profile battery of maybe 12-18 inches by 10 by 8, give or take.

So, it requires all the same rare earth minerals, just not as much of each.

Plus, you also require all the materials needed for an internal combustion engine.

Plus the actual fuel itself which is both bad for the environment and bad for human health.
There's not enough lithium on the planet to replace all gasoline cars with EVs. Basically, a new battery technology that relies on orders on orders (I said on orders twice on purpose) of magnitude less lithium will have to be invented.

My understanding is that such battery technology does in fact, exist. However, the challenge with this kind of tech is mass manufacturing processes. This is was prevents it from going en masse in EVs. Still, that day may come.

Anyway, in the mean time, we should invest in rail and other forms of transport. Car centric cities are shit.
Rancid wrote:
There's not enough lithium on the planet to replace all gasoline cars with EVs. Basically, a new battery technology that relies on orders on orders (I said on orders twice on purpose) of magnitude less lithium will have to be invented.

My understanding is that such battery technology does in fact, exist. However, the challenge with this kind of tech is mass manufacturing processes. This is was prevents it from going en masse in EVs. Still, that day may come.

Anyway, in the mean time, we should invest in rail and other forms of transport. Car centric cities are shit.

It's *political* / social-paradigmatic, *not* technical.

Perpetual motion devices on wheels Máquina de movimiento perpetuo

---

[1] History, Macro Micro -- Precision

Spoiler: show
Rancid wrote:
The bigger problem is in fact political. However, there are still some significant technical challenges too.

Granted, I haven't re-created and done the experiments shown in the video, but from what I can see the world could simply tap *gravity* (and magnetism), to have non-polluting sources of energy inputs. *Biogas* (methane) from large solid waste / farm waste 'digesters' is being increasingly used, too, as a quick and cheap way to get *gas* going.

I'd say *solar concentrators*, for *steam*, for 'free' energy from the sun. And so on.

Maybe you'd like to be *less vague* -- ?
ckaihatsu wrote:

Granted, I haven't re-created and done the experiments shown in the video, but from what I can see the world could simply tap *gravity* (and magnetism), to have non-polluting sources of energy inputs. *Biogas* (methane) from large solid waste / farm waste 'digesters' is being increasingly used, too, as a quick and cheap way to get *gas* going.

I'd say *solar concentrators*, for *steam*, for 'free' energy from the sun. And so on.

Maybe you'd like to be *less vague* -- ?

Gravity and Magnetism can't be directly tapped as gravity and magnetism are not stores of energy, they are more like mediums of energy conversion.
ckaihatsu wrote:Yeah, you obviously didn't watch the video.

LOL, wow, you're really going there. Youtube is full of bullshit dude.

1. If this were possible, someone would be doing it already (and making money)
2. I spent years studying these equations in graduate school:

This say's everything there is to be said about electricity and magnetism. Your perpetual motion bullshit isn't in there. Again, magnetism is not a store of energy.

I also spent the first few years of my career working on projects/products that rely on these equations. In no way, is it possible for a magnetic field to store energy. As I said, it's more of a energy conversion medium, not a storage mechanism. Gravity is similar.

Go take a few electricity and magnetism courses.
Rancid wrote:
LOL, wow, you're really going there. Youtube is full of bullshit dude.

1. If this were possible, someone would be doing it already (and making money)
2. I spent years studying these equations:

This say's everything there is to be said about electricity and magnetism. Your perpetual motion bullshit isn't in there. Again, magnetism is not a store of energy.

I also spent the first few years of my career working on projects/products that rely on these equations. In no way, is it possible for a magnetic field to store energy. As I said, it's more of a energy conversion medium, not a storage mechanism. Gravity is similar.

Go take a few electricity and magnetism courses.

You're thinking too *linearly*. The reason for using heat pumps (instead of straight fuel-for-heat), for example, is to *leverage* two different systems, in relation to each other (the *transport* of 'scavenged' pre-existing heat).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_of_reference
ckaihatsu wrote:You're thinking too *linearly*. The reason for using heat pumps (instead of straight fuel-for-heat), for example, is to *leverage* two different systems, in relation to each other (the *transport* of 'scavenged' pre-existing heat).

Why are you talking about heat-pumps now? :lol:

You are using the tactics of MAGA morons, cryptocurrency bros, and general scammers now. Dance around, obfuscate, weasel about, make shit up, change the subject.
Rancid wrote:
Why are you talking about heat-pumps now? :lol:

You are using the tactics of MAGA morons, cryptocurrency bros, and general scammers now. Dance around, obfuscate, weasel about, make shit up, change the subject.

Why are you being knee-jerk *dismissive* -- ?

You're *stereotyping*, and politically inappropriately, too.

Just address how *heat pumps* work in reality, and then the broader realization (of the working principle) will follow. You can *do* this one, bruh.
Rancid wrote:Why are you talking about heat-pumps now? :lol:

You’ve just described the debating tactics of 99% of human beings, @Rancid.
BlutoSays wrote:Why are you answering for her? Or is she one of your sock puppets?

This is a debating forum. People comment on things. Why do you constantly have to react in this rude, aggressive and censorious manner? Your criticisms of the "libs" and how they debate are often well founded. But you're actually displaying the exact same behaviour that you so often criticise in others. Its almost as if you're trying to confirm the worst prejudices of liberal /left-wing people about conservative thought and thinkers.
Pants-of-dog wrote:So, it requires all the same rare earth minerals, just not as much of each.

Plus, you also require all the materials needed for an internal combustion engine.

Plus the actual fuel itself which is both bad for the environment and bad for human health.

Conventional and glass mat batteries are made of lead, water and sulfuric acid. No supply problem and pretty much recycled at end of life.

They are not the same. Try different spin.

Here's the problem. You want something so badly, that you'll say ANYTHING to defend it. If I tell you water is wet, you'll say it's dry if that's what you need to push your ideology.

Not very "sciency", but whatever. Keep squirming. It's entertaining.
Rich wrote:This is a debating forum. People comment on things. Why do you constantly have to react in this rude, aggressive and censorious manner? Your criticisms of the "libs" and how they debate are often well founded. But you're actually displaying the exact same behaviour that you so often criticise in others. Its almost as if you're trying to confirm the worst prejudices of liberal /left-wing people about conservative thought and thinkers.

Care: 73 Fairness: 77 Liberty: 83 In-group: 70 Pur[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

You just do not understand what politics is. Poli[…]

Are you aware that the only difference between yo[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I'm just free flowing thought here: I'm trying t[…]