Best weapon to protect your household with - Page 11 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Military vehicles, aircraft, ships, guns and other military equipment. Plus any general military discussions that don't belong elsewhere on the board.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By BooKofElisha
The best weapon to protect a household is… one that the operator feels confident with and can operate safely and effectively. Easy and rapid to deploy, as good of a weapon the scatter gun is, it doesn’t fit nicely into a nightstand. I would not recommend a pistol grip shotgun as it is surprising how easy it is to miss with this weapon under fire, even with #4 bird shot. This is not the movies. But in all fairness, if you can handle it, keep it handy, the shotgun is a very capable defensive and offensive weapon in its simplest form. With #4 bird shot, over penetration is unlikely, with Magnum slugs even the guy in a Kevlar vest will find breathing hard with broken ribs and internal bleeding, but slugs go thru a walls easily as will 00 buck. The weapon must only stop the possible threats likely to occur, you don’t need a 454 Casull if all you need to shoot is crows. It should keep collateral damage to a minimum, unless of course the government is coming thou your front door, than collateral damage might not be a major concern. I believe there are more privately own guns in America than any other country in the world and revolvers are here to stay for a reason. Wheel guns are non-problematic. Semi autos present difficulties that a common home dweller might find inconvenient such as stove piping or feeding problems. Yes, plastic lose fitting cheep guns like Glocks will go off even in absurd conditions but a revolver is fool proof, easy to load, easy to unload, just point and squeeze the trigger.
By War Angel
Yes, plastic lose fitting cheep guns like Glocks

GLOCKs are expensive and extremely durable - their polymer structure is far more resilient than most steels, and is also lighter.

Revolvers are a matter of style, price and upkeep, not reliability or effectiveness. For someone who has a few minutes a week to clean his fire-arm, semi-autos are the weapon of choice. If you intend to stash your pistol and never tend to it again unless you direly need it, get a revolver.

I've never seen a revolver used by serious professionals.
By Godstud
Home security? Buy a 4 inch thick steel door with a big ass lock on it, bar your windows and place barbed wire around them and no one will ever get into your place to be a threat to you. Don't forget CCTV cameras set up all over the place so you can get into your panic room too!
By Huntster
I've never seen a revolver used by serious professionals.

The Alyeska Pipeline Corp. security force are issued .38 caliber revolvers with "rocking" holsters which discourage an opponent taking the gun from the holster. The security guards aren't happy about those issued weapons.

I was enrolled in a defensive handgun course along with a couple dozen of these guards, a few police officers, and a few civilians. The Alyeska guards were required to use their service revolvers, or they had to pay for the course themselves. Everybody else used 1911s except a single civilian using a Glock. When the week was over we had a head-to-head competition. Sure enough, the winner was one of the Alyeska guards. He was damned good with that revolver. I took 4th place with my 1911.
By BooKofElisha
GLOCKs are expensive and extremely durable

Glocks are cheap .... built and priced, what do you exspect for plastic, what professionals are you speaking of? The ones train that a 15 round clip is needed?
By War Angel
Glocks are cheap .... built and priced, what do you exspect for plastic

GLOCKs are very expensive here, going well over 1,500$ a piece. They are made from very high quality polymers, hardly cheap plastic.

what professionals are you speaking of?

Israeli forces, both military and police.

The ones train that a 15 round clip is needed?

Obviously, the more rounds the better.
By Huntster
Any thoughts on the SIG Pro series?

My first thought is "expensive".

I think they're a top quality handgun, but I prefer other models.
By War Angel
Any thoughts on the SIG Pro series?

Sig Sauers are the preferred pistols among security forces here, along with GLOCKs. Most private owners use less expensive brands, though, like the Israeli-made Jericho and CZ, which cost about 1\4th to 1\5th of the above.
By Jackal
I prefer semi-autos over revolvers but I would have to go with a revolver (preferably keep two around) because the risk of jamming is significantly less to none. Thats always a good feeling when one is thinking in terms of home defense.
By Alex Jacobson
In my state you can get arrested for shooting burglars. In case I can not deter an intruder with my motion tracking LED light assembly and remote controlled sound system, they should be distracted enough so that I have the initiative and can neutralize them effectively with my CZ-75.

I am a little paranoid and I have some time on my hands and I'm good with electronics. I practice shooting now and then, but I have never shot at live prey, so I feel I need every advantage to survive an attack.
By Godstud
OMG. The paranoia is rampant! :eek:
By Huntster
In my state you can get arrested for shooting burglars.

May one legally beat them unmercifully with a baseball bat?
By Alex Jacobson
No, and you can use garrotes or knives either. Unless you can prove you knew the intruder was armed and dangerous, you can get in trouble if you harm them first. This often depends on if you dialed 911 before engaging in combat and how much noise the family of the "victim" makes. You're supposed to always call the cops in Massachusetts.
By Zerogouki
In my state you can get arrested for shooting burglars.

you can use garrotes or knives either. Unless you can prove you knew the intruder was armed and dangerous, you can get in trouble if you harm them first.

I hate leftardation.

The prosecutor will need to explain why is it that[…]

If your argument centers around not believing in […]

https://i.ibb.co/Bs37t8b/canvas-moral[…]

I was being sarcastic, @FiveofSwords . Hitler wa[…]