possible 6th Generation Fighter Jet - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Military vehicles, aircraft, ships, guns and other military equipment. Plus any general military discussions that don't belong elsewhere on the board.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

I watched a couple minutes of the first video, and stopped.

It called the F16 4th Gen. My understanding is that it's 3rd Gen.

I've seen analysts describe the F35 as 4.5 Gen.

They showed a pic of a Russian fighter that looked like they borrowed a lot from the 117. Russian designs historically are plagued by manufacturing problems, which keep them from performing to the their limit. They also lack the ability to field tech as sophisticated as ours, and the money to put a lot of fighters in the air.

I'd take that with a grain of salt, my non-expert opinion is that it's a sales brochure.
Brandenski wrote:And other Russian Jets even old ones fly 30 feet over American destroyers who have just had all their radars jammed. So do not be so quick to reject Russian abilities in the air

First of all, destroyers are not really designed to fight jets as their main objective. (Cruisers are) But some have that capability to some degree.
Second, what is the destroyer supposed to do in peacetime? Shoot at the jet? There is literally no way a ship can stop a plane flying over without shooting at it or doing any harm to it which is not something that they anybody will do in peacetime.

The problem with Russian jets is that they have no real technology in them besides engine and frame. Basically that might have worked in the 60s and 70s but modern planes are works of technological marvel that rely more on different systems, stealth, missiles etc instead of pure speed and agility. Basically if you can launch missiles without the other side detecting you and fly away then you win. Even better if you can not only stay undetected to a certain degree but also jam your opponents missiles if he launches. Nato planes are a lot better at both of those compared to the Russians. There are many technologies involved: jammers, stealth, better missiles, more integrated systems between different branches, faster computers etc
JohnRawls wrote:First of all, destroyers are not really designed to fight jets as their main objective. (Cruisers are) But some have that capability to some degree.
Second, what is the destroyer supposed to do in peacetime? Shoot at the jet? There is literally no way a ship can stop a plane flying over without shooting at it or doing any harm to it which is not something that they anybody will do in peacetime.

The problem with Russian jets is that they have no real technology in them besides engine and frame. Basically that might have worked in the 60s and 70s but modern planes are works of technological marvel that rely more on different systems, stealth, missiles etc instead of pure speed and agility. Basically if you can launch missiles without the other side detecting you and fly away then you win. Even better if you can not only stay undetected to a certain degree but also jam your opponents missiles if he launches. Nato planes are a lot better at both of those compared to the Russians. There are many technologies involved: jammers, stealth, better missiles, more integrated systems between different branches, faster computers etc

It is true that there is no way that the Donald Cook could have shot at the Russian jet because the Donald Cook was blinded by the radar jamming weapon on the jet

https://www.voanews.com/europe/russian- ... y-weakness
Brandenski wrote:It is true that there is no way that the Donald Cook could have shot at the Russian jet because the Donald Cook was blinded by the radar jamming weapon on the jet

https://www.voanews.com/europe/russian- ... y-weakness

Looks like propaganda, smells like propaganda, probably is propaganda. I wouldn't be surprised if this is from somewhere around the Ukranian-Russian conflict times.

As for Russian jet harassing 1 destroyer, i guess good for Russia. Good for US that their main doctrine doesn't work with signle destroyers fighting planes in mind.
JohnRawls wrote:Looks like propaganda, smells like propaganda, probably is propaganda. I wouldn't be surprised if this is from somewhere around the Ukranian-Russian conflict times.

As for Russian jet harassing 1 destroyer, i guess good for Russia. Good for US that their main doctrine doesn't work with signle destroyers fighting planes in mind.

LOL the Donald Cook was totally demoralized and if their was a war the only weapons that the Cook would have had to shoot down the jet would be old fashioned WW2 era guns that the ship does not even have. The jet was never radar locked because the Cook was made completely useless as all it's weapons are computer radar guided in some way. The Pentagon actually admitted to all of this

https://www.voltairenet.org/article185860.html
Brandenski wrote:LOL the Donald Cook was totally demoralized and if their was a war the only weapons that the Cook would have had to shoot down the jet would be old fashioned WW2 era guns that the ship does not even have. The jet was never radar locked because the Cook was made completely useless as all it's weapons are computer radar guided in some way. The Pentagon actually admitted to all of this

https://www.voltairenet.org/article185860.html

I can't believe that you don't see this as propaganda of some sort. I mean that it blatantly obviously is.

As i also said, it is besides the point. Overall US doctrine is not about single destroyers fighting jets. In the grander scheme of things, this is like a helicopter flying over a tank and then bragging about it because the tank couldn't do anything about it. But any person will understand that it is a pointless comparison or action because tanks are not supposed to get rid of helicopters or fight them or can stop them flying over in peacetime. They can to some degree but that is not their job.
JohnRawls wrote:I can't believe that you don't see this as propaganda of some sort. I mean that it blatantly obviously is.

As i also said, it is besides the point. Overall US doctrine is not about single destroyers fighting jets. In the grander scheme of things, this is like a helicopter flying over a tank and then bragging about it because the tank couldn't do anything about it. But any person will understand that it is a pointless comparison or action because tanks are not supposed to get rid of helicopters or fight them or can stop them flying over in peacetime. They can to some degree but that is not their job.

Dude the Pentagon does not issue russian propaganda, you need to accept the facts, this russian weapon exist and the old unarmed russian fighter proved it
@SaddamHuseinovic

You seem to have this fascination for military equipment. I mean, I can understand being fascinated with military equipment some of the time. But you seem to have a great deal of fascination with it ALOT. Don't be fascinated with it. They were weapons of war and nothing good comes of war. War is a tragedy and a crime and pure evil. There is nothing good about it. So, I guess, what I am saying is, it's OK to be fascinated with the brainpower and technology behind such military equipment, but don't be fascinated with it. If you like technology like I do, I urge you to study computers, programming and networking. I think you would like it. :D
Last edited by Politics_Observer on 07 Jan 2021 16:19, edited 1 time in total.
Politics_Observer wrote:@SaddamHuseinovic

You seem to have this fascination for military equipment. I mean, I can understand being fascinated with military equipment some of the time. But you seem to have a great deal of fascination with it ALOT. Don't be fascinated with it. They were weapons of war and nothing good comes of war. War is a tragedy and a crime and pure evil. There is nothing good about it. So, I guess, what I am saying is, it's OK to be fascinated with the brainpower and technology behind such military equipment, but don't be fascinated with it. If you like technology like I do, I urge you to study computers, programming and networking. I think you would like it. :D

Actually many good things came out of the American civil war

Helping Ukraine to defeat the Russian invasion an[…]

https://twitter.com/huwaidaarraf/status/1773389663[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

What wat0n is trying to distract from: https://tw[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://twitter.com/KimDotcom/status/1773436787622[…]