Was it wrong to drop the bomb on Japan? - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

The Second World War (1939-1945).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Igor Antunov wrote:Every time I've had smokers sit next to me at a restaurant in the big Chinese cities I've complained to the management. They then simply step outside to smoke or leave. Some external influence is positive. Well, tobacco is an external import, it should be done away with. Undo the damage caused. Funnily enough alcoholism is not rampant among asias youth. Only the old fellas.

I want to spend more time in Japan, but I'd hate to be traveling during the covid frenzy. It's just an overblown meme at this point. The virus is less harmful to me than the flu. No way am I getting a fast tracked mRNA vaccine for shits and giggles. Russian or Chinese inactivated virus all the way. Australia needs to approve them all then allow us to choose. Germany is doing it right.

I don't like to have the flu, and I don't want covid. I also live with my dad now and I don't want to take it home to him. I've also had pneumonia 6 times in my life, and been hospitalized for it 3 times, so I don't want this novel lab manufactured covid virus (yeah, I do think it is from a lab, sorry brahs.)

I would have been one of the smokers you were telling to get out. It's a bad habit, but I smoke. I would have just gone to the hand washing room though, lol.
Crantag wrote:My disagreement is in that, I think it was done to stop the Russians, and to prevent a divided Japan, ala Korea and Germany. I know my take here isn't really mainstream history, but it does exist in the fine cracks of mainstream history, and it is what I find convincing. The USSR declared war on Japan the day after the Hiroshima bombing. They made gains in Manchuria and the Northern Territories, and Korea, while Japan was in crisis. A couple days later, another bomb fell, on a city called Nagasaki.

I do think the atomic bombing was a political maneuver toward the soviets. But, I also do think all the other shit I've said in here.

If the US accepted Japan's conditional surrender, wouldn't that have prevented a divided Japan as well?

Igor Antunov wrote:Russian or Chinese inactivated virus all the way. Australia needs to approve them all then allow us to choose. Germany is doing it right.

If you haven't noticed, it's up to the respective companies to apply for regulatory approval. Germany has approved neither.
Rugoz wrote:If the US accepted Japan's conditional surrender, wouldn't that have prevented a divided Japan as well?

It wouldn't have. The Japanese would have stood and died at their stations, until the Soviets stormed the gates in Tokyo. I could be wrong, but that's what I think.
Agent Steel wrote:I think that the USA had to drop nukes onto Japan to stop Japan from terrorizing their neighbors. Some of the most notorious war crimes in my opinion were committed by the Japanese army. I just think they deserved to get nuked.

Am I wrong for thinking this? Should the USA have done things differently?

Yes dropping the bombs saved millions that would have died on all sides, not to mention probably prevented WW3 in Europe.
Basically, yes, it was wrong and a mistake.

That was mass murdering civilians. Shortly after that we were hanging Germans for that...

It was a mistake because Stalin would never have spent the ton of money he needed to spend to develop his own bomb. Not unless he knew it worked as a weapon.

Things could have been very different.
late wrote:Basically, yes, it was wrong and a mistake.

That was mass murdering civilians. Shortly after that we were hanging Germans for that...

It was a mistake because Stalin would never have spent the ton of money he needed to spend to develop his own bomb. Not unless he knew it worked as a weapon.

Things could have been very different.

What a baseless and childish opinion
Oxymoron wrote:
What a baseless and childish opinion

You keep implicitly laying claim to an authority you clearly do not possess.

That's not my opinion, one of the leading intellectuals of that era, the physicist that introduced Einstein to FDR, said that.

This is something on which reasonable people can disagree.

But, in my distinctly unhumble opinion (IMDUO) the military should not have kept him from Truman when the decision was being made about whether or not we should drop the bomb.

Yes, because the Palestinian resistance have a his[…]

The War Machine and Bankers that arm and profit fr[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

^ I shared the Sachs and Meirsheimer videos in her[…]

Hmmm, it the Ukraine aid package is all over mains[…]