Suppression of Dissent in Soviet Union - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

'Cold war' communist versus capitalist ideological struggle (1946 - 1990) and everything else in the post World War II era (1946 onwards).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I have become interested in this subject recently, the power of modern state to suppress dissent. With advancements in technology and psychology the modern state has tools at its disposal that it never had before.

This is also interesting.
:lol: Yep, only criminals and mentally ill... Except for those who aren't, right?

The rest were killed outright.

I suppose we've now identified the Russian troll in our midst, with this thread. @Albert
I think its time I finally open up in this thread to everyone. I'm actually. A Russian troll, farmed at the troll farm in Saint Petersburg. I'm sorry to anyone for whom I might have cause great or minor discomfort for all this.
Poor guy, surrounded by idiots. It is all the same everywhere, the announcer dumb as wood so he has to shout to feel like he won the argument and the cleric uses you are "mentally ill" argument. He might as well just say you are possessed by the devil or something. Just people in authority feel they are threatened.

What a brave guy though, that takes guts to do what he did.
Actually, that Egyptian TV host had a point - if a person refuses to live in the same reality in which almost everybody else in his or her society is living, then what is this but a form of mental illness? In fact, isn't that the definition of mental illness? To be an atheist in a religious society is to require psychiatric treatment, just as to be a believer in an atheist society is to require psychiatric treatment. What we call 'reality' is, after all, socially defined.
It seems to be the state of humanity since immemorial. Before we used to call people heretics, possessed by the devil now it is dissident or mentally ill. There is some sort of label humanity finds for people who free themselves from mental constructs of our society.

TV host was scared because his mental world was being threatened. Indeed not only his but of people like him, especially people like him who benefit from that conceptual social order. But there is reality, and our conceptual social construct is just a tool that we use to organize ourselves and function as humans in reality.

(Perhaps they even knew what was happening, and tried to shut him up because they did not want to disturb the mental composition of their viewers. So they berated him to make an example of him as well.)

In the end what was happening there was two worlds colliding. One: That of traditional Islamic world that never embraced scientific revolution, Second: It seems there exist in Egyptian society people who have embraced science and rest of "developed" world. It seem to be the youth.

Because what stood out in that interview, is that he began to use science to defend his position. They know objectively they can not win that argument.

Even though I disagree with him on existence of god, I still see he comes from the place of truth.
TV host was scared because his mental world was being threatened. Indeed not only his but of people like him, especially people like him who benefit from that conceptual social order. But there is reality, and our conceptual social construct is just a tool that we use to organize ourselves and function as humans in reality.

There may (or may not) be such a thing as reality, but we can never know what that reality truly is. We socially and historically construct a substitute for that unknowable reality, which we call 'reality', but which isn't the real thing (assuming it even exists). In fact, we have to do this to be able to function as human beings or as a society at all. To challenge that constructed 'reality' is dangerous, not just for the individual doing the challenging, but for society as a whole.
Soviet Union and Islamic World are dramatic cases but today the EU oparates on the same manner. They are fighting "trolls" and "fake news", while the EU mainstream media is itself fake news. After decades of brainwashing they take their narrative for granted.
Meh.

The soviet union would have loved to have even a tiny amount of what the NSA and likewise organizations have in the USA and Europe nowadays.

In some countries its even perfectly legal to break into peoples computers if you're the state. Yikes.
Potemkin wrote:Actually, that Egyptian TV host had a point - if a person refuses to live in the same reality in which almost everybody else in his or her society is living, then what is this but a form of mental illness? In fact, isn't that the definition of mental illness? To be an atheist in a religious society is to require psychiatric treatment, just as to be a believer in an atheist society is to require psychiatric treatment. What we call 'reality' is, after all, socially defined.

Which is of course why the USA has a codified freedom of religion. Freedom is not a mental illness.

Zam :eek:

I would bet you have very strong feelings about DE[…]

@Rugoz A compromise with Putin is impossibl[…]

@KurtFF8 Litwin wages a psyops war here but we […]

[usermention=41202] @late[/usermention] The[…]