Rita Hayworth and the Cuban Missile Crisis - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

'Cold war' communist versus capitalist ideological struggle (1946 - 1990) and everything else in the post World War II era (1946 onwards).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
In the 1952 movie Affair in Trinidad, Steve Emery (Glenn Ford) visits Trinidad to investigate the murder of his brother. He falls for his sister-in-law Chris (Rita Hayward), a sultry nightclub performer. The affection is mutual, but Steve believes Chris is obstructing his search for the truth.

The prime suspect is a suave tycoon, whose shady associates include a rocket scientist with knowledge of Hitler’s V-2 program. The intrigue and tropical setting suggest an early variation of Dr. No. Hayworth shows as much cleavage as Ursula Andress and the villain asks Steve if he is a member of the British Secret Service. The real spy work, though, is done by Chris, who discovers incriminating blueprints and overhears the conspirators reveal their plot: Financed by a foreign government, they plan to construct advanced ballistic missiles that can reach nearly every part of the United States from a base in the Caribbean: a prediction of the Cuban Missile Crisis a decade later.

Voyager

I watched the Affair in Trinidad DVD on July 11, 2018. Not able to sleep, I returned to the TV and channel surfed until I found a repeat episode of Star Trek: Voyager, in which the spaceship, experimenting with slipstream travel, crashes into an icy planet, killing all on board, except for Chakotay and Kim, who were in a ship ahead of Voyager. Fifteen years later, Chakotay and Kim discover the vessel. They reanimate the holographic Doctor and retrieve Seven of Nine’s Borg-altered body. Using Seven’s interplexing beacon and a stolen Borg temporal transmitter, they send a message back in time to the living Seven that directs her to disengage the slipstream, saving Voyager and all on board.

I interpreted this episode as a message that something similar had happened regarding the Soviet missiles in Cuba. In the original timeline, the missiles were not discovered until they were all in place and launch ready. Confronted with a fait accompli, President John F. Kennedy had little wiggle room, the confrontation with the Soviets spun out of control and a nuclear war resulted. To prevent this, God or a real-life version of Doctor Who sent a message back in time implanting the Caribbean missile idea in the mind of one of the Affair in Trinidad screenwriters. Someone among JFK’s defense advisors saw the film and recommended an earlier, more intensive surveillance of Cuba, which resulted in an interruption in the missile placement and an opportunity to negotiate a solution with Nikita Khrushchev.
You see a lot of silly ideas in scifi.

But the silliest of all of them is time travel.

One of the things I absolutely love about The Expanse books is that they are so gritty, the people so fundamentally flawed, that it has the most verisimilitude of any Space Opera I've ever seen.

I keep the books in 2 stacks on the top of my bookshelf. When I finish one, I pick up the next in a nonstop rotation. I've read the first one several times, but the last one only twice. The first book is, for my money, the single best futuristic scifi I have ever read.

https://twitter.com/ShadowofEzra/status/178113719[…]

Lies. Did you have difficulty understanding t[…]

Al Quds day was literally invented by the Ayatolla[…]

Yes Chomsky - the Pepsi-Cola professor of Linguis[…]