Cagots, Burakumin and other what the fucks of history - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Early modern era & beginning of the modern era. Exploration, enlightenment, industrialisation, colonisation & empire (1492 - 1914 CE).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Sithsaber wrote:Post here to peel away the scabs that are intriguing anecdotes of oppression from the past and present.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cagot

You got me to thinking how I cannot recall having ever met anyone known to be burakumin. A lot of Japanese do not even understand the word until it is changed to eta.

Then I got to thinking how I never met a burakumin I didn't like.

Yet, thanks to you, I learned this today:
Yakuza membership
According to David E. Kaplan and Alec Dubro in Yakuza: The Explosive Account of Japan's Criminal Underworld (Reading, Massachusetts: Addison-Wesley Publishing Co., 1986), burakumin account for about 70 percent of the members of Yamaguchi-gumi, the biggest yakuza syndicate in Japan.
Mitsuhiro Suganuma, the ex-member of Public Security Intelligence Agency, testified that burakumin account for about 60 percent of the members of the entire yakuza.[9]

Then I thought I never met a Yakuza member who didn't like me.

Then I learned this:
In some areas, burakumin are in a majority..... In Ōtō in Fukuoka Prefecture, they account for over 60 percent.[5]

I recall a student telling me her husband's car was stolen while it was parked in the parking lot of that town's police department.

And now I understand why they had so many barbeque places.
Rei Murasame wrote:I wonder what the breakdown of the other 40% is, though. Is there anything on that?

Just woke up, asked the wife about the word and she said she knew it but didn't understand why I was asking her.

I did the yakuza bit, the Yamaguchi-gumi bit......

She came out and said "I don't know if it is a nice thing to say, though...it is......uhm, racist."

I said, "Well, that is part of the question: it is not racist. It is not about ethnicity. I want to say I recall it being something about Koreans, but that is not the case at all. The 'racist word' part of it is the 'eta' connection."

She said "what?"

I said "A tah. Eh taw? E-T-A."

She took her head not understanding what I was talking about and turned around.

The other 40% gotta be butchers and shoemakers. That Yakuza connection would come afterwards. It certainly shows some disenfranchisement resulting in inferiority complexes which could increase the ranks of the Yakuza.

Pretty clear France will be taking a leading role […]

He is even less coherent than Alex Jones. My gu[…]

Yes, and it did not order a ceasefire. Did you ev[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

A new film has been released destroying the offici[…]