The most world changing inventions and discoveries - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Early modern era & beginning of the modern era. Exploration, enlightenment, industrialisation, colonisation & empire (1492 - 1914 CE).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
There have been a good number of inventions, as well as discoveries, which have completely revolutionized society, often on a global scale.

With this thread, I'm looking for input on this in the way of examples and discussion, but will start with some observations of my own.

There are the so-called Four Great Inventions of Ancient China.

These are:

Paper making

Printing

The Compass

Gunpowder

Each of these were revolutionary in their own right. In my subjective opinion, perhaps gunpowder most of all.

To further borrow, and moving far into the modern era, Paul Sweezy, in his analysis of industrial capitalism, stipulated that there were three great transitory inventions.

The steam engine

The railroad train

The automobile

Let me move on away from these source materials, to think about this topic in a more personal manner.

Proceeding all the way to the present, I think that the internet is an invention which is on a par with the others in a number of respects. That's not to say necessarily that it stands up to each and every one on equal terms, but the internet is in the same sort of category as the above, in my view.

To backtrack to the realm of ancient history, I think the discovery of steel is also a notable case, and possibly worthy of mention with all of the above.

The latter example demonstrates that this is a broad topic, and that's the intent of it. I am hoping to think of really genuinely societal changing developments in the way of technology, and am seeking contributions to this, just for the sake of interest.

The above is mostly what I have thought of.

I suppose oil refining and utilization is another, I'd say.

Perhaps the telegraph, and the telephone are additions, as well.

I welcome additional examples, or comments on any of the above; or remarks on the topic generally.
There are the so-called Four Great Inventions of Ancient China.

These are:

Paper making

Printing

The Compass

Gunpowder

To further borrow, and moving far into the modern era, Paul Sweezy, in his analysis of industrial capitalism, stipulated that there were three great transitory inventions.

The steam engine

The railroad train

The automobile

The first group is attributed to ancient China, while the second group is closely associated with the Industrial Revolution from Britain. Japan is a hybrid culture between the two civilisations, which was an Asian copy of the British Empire that established itself as a great power. But China imported a degenerative culture from the West in the 19th century and the entire nation was addicted to opium, which brought about its downfall.

Ah Sing's opium den was probably the most famous of the dens in Victorian London.

- The first programmable computer was invented by British mathematician and scientist Charles Babbage in the 1820s.

- The world’s first publicly demonstrated television was invented by British inventor John Logie Baird in 1925.

- The telephone was invented by British inventor Alexander Graham Bell and patented in 1876.
Tut tut!

Fire
Wheel
Bow and arrow
Telescope
Microscope
The condom
Gin
Cocktails - where would we be if not paying through the nose for a glass full of flavoured ice?

Worst inventions
colonoscope
Exercise bike
Alarm clock
Clocking in apparatus
Piecework
Time and motion man
School teacher's cane.
Yes, I am ashamed too. For nothing brings former colonial nations together in celebration like a good thrashing of England by West Indies in Cricket, Australians, Indians, Pakistanis, Kiwis, they all are happy. :p

So, what national leader would go against this tr[…]

EU-BREXIT

Which ones do you disagree with? All of them. […]

Trump's Dumb Economics

More of your fake news. ummmmm …. did you happen[…]

The Popular Vote...

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the fo[…]