The 1950s are coming back - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Traditional 'common sense' values and duty to the state.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Many liberals see the rise of Trump and far-right leaders in Europe, the Philippines and other parts of the world as a repeat of the fascist rise of Hitler and Mussolini. But if history is truly repeating itself, the defeat of fascism in this century will be followed not by a progressive paradise but by a post-World War II-type era of social conservatism and bourgeoise ideals: the “1950s,” a period often mocked and derided by the left.

(The social description “the 1950s” encompasses the post-war period of 1946 to 1963, before the social revolution ushered in by the Beatles and the Vietnam War protests.)

When the neo-1950s come back, still years away, look for woman to focus more on family and children and less on careers. The alphabet soup can of LGBTQ will be pushed to the rear of the pantry. The self-segregation by ideology occurring now may be extended to self-segregation by lifestyle and race. The cosmopolitan elites will persevere, but they will lose much of their influence in the media.

While the culture will move right, a liberal amount of government intervention will be required to focus on the family. For example, generous Social Security credits might be given to stay-at-home moms who have gainfully employed husbands.

By late
Robert Urbanek wrote:
But if history is truly repeating itself, the defeat of fascism in this century will be followed not by a progressive paradise but by a post-World War II-type era of social conservatism and bourgeoise ideals: the “1950s,” a period often mocked and derided by the left.

History isn't like baking a cake.

On one hand, you saw the rise of the American Empire in the Fifties, but what you will be seeing is the decline and fall of the American Empire.

While the country is prosperous, the growing income inequality is going to create all sorts of problems, and hasten the decline of the country.

It's a sticky wicket..
In the 1950's it was also normal to have high corporate tax rates and heavy regulation of the financial sector. Without either it's unlikely the social conservatism of the time could have existed (along with its terrible racial composition) and it's even more unlikely that Trump is going to usher in some kind of conservative renaissance. Even Reagan was only capable of freezing the culture wars until the 1990's. Social conservatism requires a symbiotic relationship between different groups that is no longer possible today. The divine forces that once gathered the different interests of conservatism have now turned them against one another. The conservative psyche is fractured as such. What is left now for them is only a Dream-scape politics, a series of mass hallucinations that will masquerade as a new era of American prophetism.
The social description “the 1950s” encompasses the post-war period of 1946 to 1963, before the social revolution ushered in by the Beatles and the Vietnam War protests.)

Well up to this point....

The Beatles had nothing to do with a social revolution at all and the Vietnam war did nothing to further it.

It is easy to forget that what you appear to be calling the social revolution actually began in the depths of the depression. Banking controls, public works projects, subsidies for the arts, Unemployment insurance and Aid to Families with Dependent Children are all pre-WWII inventions. Perhaps the biggest and most obvious is Social Security. That was 1935 and I would hesitate to credit Fred Astaire (who had the biggest song that year) for ushering it in.

The generation that fought WWII was inclined to pay itself back generously with the US's post WWII riches. The GI Bill paid for their college, down payments for their homes and free medical care in the VA system. It was easy to do these things for two reasons. First of all the US was awash in cash. It was richer than the rest of the world combined. It had tax rates that gave the government unprecedented spending power. It had a self-righteous opinion of all things GI and this sense of "nothing is too good for the troops who destroyed fascism" was an easy sell. Expanding these programs to others was a natural extension of this sense that nothing bad can exist in the US.

@late said: On one hand, you saw the rise of the American Empire in the Fifties, but what you will be seeing is the decline and fall of the American Empire.

Do you mean Empire literally? If you do I respectfully disagree. If the US ever had an empire it was the most poorly exploited on in history. But even if I grant that the US had a huge empire I would tell you that we are not seeing any fall of it now. Where is your evidence that the US is any less influential in the world now than it was when it was (for example) stymied by the USSR? Granted we are not the richest country in the world anymore but we are still the most powerful economically and especially militarily by a fair margin.

China is coming on strong but I would commend to you the thought that China is not "winning". It is becoming more like us and less like "itself" every day. IT may well be that the result of Trumps trade wars will be that both sides get tired of the hassle and settle down to forming the hybrid capitalist alliance that both want.

Income inequality is a huge problem but you can see that ice breaking. For example, the rapidly growing minimum wages imposed by the states now has the majority of states higher than the US minimum wage. The people like Obamacare and want health care increased. The Me Too movement is a real thing. The country is moving slightly to the left but the government has yet to follow suit. But watch the election. You will not see the republicans running on the repeal of the PPACA.

Anyway. I am interested in what others think. For me the countries move to the left is far older but far slower than most people realize.
The era of the 1950s is part of a regular historical cycle in which a “morning” period of rebellion and irrational exuberance eventually leads to decay, which is followed by an “afternoon” period of war and suppression, and then a “night” period of recovery, such as the 1950s, marked by prosperity and conservative social values.

We can see a 1950s-like period from about 1871 to 1901, in which the morally conservative Victorian Era in Britain overlapped the Belle Époque, a period of settled and comfortable life in Continental Europe. That was followed by the more innovative and rebellious “morning” years of 1902 to about 1929, followed by the harsh “afternoon” years of the Depression and World War II.
Donald wrote:You've been reading too much Strauss-Howe theory

My cyclical theory is derived from an Egyptian trinity.

Thus spoke Re: "I am Khepera at the dawn, and Re at noon, and Tem in the evening."
Trump has been impeached

Why on earth would Pence be impeached? No. I o[…]

Would you have wanted the Jews to chose a leader […]

My reflections on 2020 AD

True. Nothing ever truly ends, does it @annat[…]

The Empire strikes again: https://i.red[…]