American man goes to Chile, gets shot and killed - Page 6 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Traditional 'common sense' values and duty to the state.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
@wat0n

For the most part, friendly fire incidents were not recorded.

Estimates (and that's all they are) vary from a semi-official low of 2% to as high as 20%.

2% looks too low to me.

Americans killing Americans was downplayed in the official numbers.

For example,

Homicides

Fragging - assaulting a superior officer using a fragmentation grenade or other explosive - was surprisingly common during the Vietnam War. The most reliable figure is 730 incidents from 1969-1971, much higher than in U.S. wars before or since.

Anyway, if we use the higher friendly fire estimate, and why not, 27% was the number in the Gulf War...

20% of 5,373 = 1,075 ...

the number is 4,298.

Add the unrecorded homicides, and you are below 4,000.

:)
Last edited by ingliz on 05 May 2023 13:57, edited 4 times in total.
ingliz wrote:@wat0n

For the most part, friendly fire incidents were not recorded.

Estimates (and that's all they are) vary from a semi-official low of 2% to as high as 20%.

2% looks too low to me.

For example,

Fragging - assaulting a superior officer using a fragmentation grenade or other explosive - was surprisingly common during the Vietnam War. The most reliable figure is 730 incidents from 1969-1971, much higher than in U.S. wars before or since.

If we use the high estimate...

20% of 5,373 = 1,075

Most friendly fire deaths involved heavy weaponry - again, there are 398 confirmed deaths by friendly fire using small arms as I quoted earlier.

Also, intentional homicide by soldiers against other soldiers is also a separate statistic, if you want we can count those too.

Besides, if you are going to do that you'll need to remove all accidental gun deaths in the US from the comparison too, which also come from estimates and are included in the gun homicide statistics.
@wat0n

Suicide at 0.7% looks suspiciously low as well when well-respected sources report large numbers of suicides - 26,000 or more - among Vietnam veterans as early as 1980.

p.s. Sorry for the number of edits in my last post, but the more I dug the worse the official numbers looked when it came to Americans killing Americans in Vietnam.

ingliz wrote:@wat0n

Suicide at 0.7% looks suspiciously low as well when well-respected sources report large numbers of suicides - 26,000 or more - among Vietnam veterans as early as 1980.

I don't find it THAT strange, just how long did soldiers spend there? For all we know, there were many who were broken by the war, but just didn't have time to commit suicide while in the theater of operations.

ingliz wrote:p.s. Sorry for the number of edits in my last post, but the more I dug the worse the official numbers looked when it came to Americans killing Americans in Vietnam.

Even the worst case figure I found was relatively low. E.g. for fragging, I found an estimate of 660 killed (99 of them confirmed in 1969-1972). This is over a total number of dead of 58,000+
In absolute numbers, the claim is then correct. If you start to look at it as a percentage of a population at a given time, it depends on the time and how we define the population and the percentage.

In terms of the OP, it is simply an unfortunate tragedy since the murdered fellow was probably safer where he was then if he had been back in the USA.
Pants-of-dog wrote:In absolute numbers, the claim is then correct. If you start to look at it as a percentage of a population at a given time, it depends on the time and how we define the population and the percentage.

In terms of the OP, it is simply an unfortunate tragedy since the murdered fellow was probably safer where he was then if he had been back in the USA.

We're discussing rates here. Obviously, a population of 332 million can expect to have a lot more deaths every year than 20 million.
wat0n wrote:trouble with numbers

He should have picked Chicago and the Gulf War to compare.

Iraq:

154 dead by enemy action

700,000 deployed

22 killed per 100,000 deployed (1990)

Chicago:

797 firearm homicides

2.697 million residents

29.6 homicides per 100,000 residents (2021)

:lol:
ingliz wrote:He should have picked Chicago and the Gulf War to compare.

Iraq:

154 dead by enemy action

700,000 deployed

22 killed per 100,000 deployed (1990)

Chicago:

797 firearm homicides

2.697 million residents

29.6 homicides per 100,000 residents (2021)

If you want we can also compare Malta's gun homicide rate to the 0 US combat deaths in Kosovo :lol:

Suffering low casualties is one of the advantages of trying to fulfill your political objectives without trying to topple the enemy's government while enjoying an overwhelming technological superiority. Something Putin seems to have forgotten in Ukraine.

Also, seems like you've given up on the Vietnam comparison?

@Pants-of-dog sounds like we're on the stage in which you're whining now that the Vietnam comparison was shown to be complete nonsense - as it often happens when you run out of arguments.
wat0n wrote:0

In 2023

homicide: 0

suicide: 1

accidental death: 1

seems like you've given up on the Vietnam comparison?

I've shown you were over-egging the pudding.

What more did you expect me to do? I wasn't arguing the rate was less in Vietnam, only that it was less than you said it was.

Last edited by ingliz on 06 May 2023 17:44, edited 2 times in total.
@Pants-of-dog zero evidence, as usual.

But we know playing with guns is dangerous in case you're concerned. Just ask this guy:

ingliz wrote:In 2023

homicide: 0

suicide: 1

accidental death: 1

We're not even past half this year though.

Malta did have one gun homicide last year, that's more than the number of US soldiers killed in Kosovo. Worse than a war zone!

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ4bO6xWJ4k Ther[…]

@FiveofSwords " chimpanzee " Having[…]

@Rancid They, the dogs, don't go crazy. They s[…]