NASA and Nokia Will Be Putting 4G Network On The Moon - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Anything from household gadgets to the Large Hadron Collider (note: political science topics belong in the Environment & Science forum).

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

Ha! This seems pretty cool! It looks like NASA and Nokia will be putting a 4G LTE network on the moon! AND, it looks like it will be upgradable to 5G! They are also talking about Google Maps for the Moon! What's next in a several decades? Google Maps for Mars?

By David Goldman of CNN wrote:If you're unable to get a cell phone signal when you walk your dog around the block, this will really make your blood boil: NASA is putting a 4G network on the moon.

To reach its 2028 goal to build a lunar base and eventually sustain a human presence on the moon, NASA awarded $370 million to over a dozen companies to deploy technology on the lunar surface. Those innovations include remote power generation, cryogenic freezing, robotics, safer landing ... and 4G. Because how else will astronauts tweet their moon golf shots and lunar rover selfies?

NASA says 4G could provide more reliable, longer-distance communication than the current radio standards in place on the moon. Like on Earth, the 4G network will eventually be upgraded to 5G.

Nokia's (NOK) Bell Labs was granted $14.1 million for the project. Bell Labs, formerly operated by AT&T, will partner with spaceflight engineering company Intuitive Machines to build out the 4G-LTE network.

John Oliver jokes about CNN parent company AT&T (T) aside, 4G will probably work better on the moon than it does here -- it won't have any trees, buildings or TV signals to interfere with the 4G signal. The moon's cellular network will also be specially designed to withstand the particularities of the lunar surface: extreme temperature, radiation and space's vacuum. It will also stay functional during lunar landings and launches, even though rockets significantly vibrate the moon's surface.

Bell Labs said astronauts will use its wireless network for data transmission, controlling of lunar rovers, real-time navigation over lunar geography (think Google Maps for the moon), and streaming of high-definition video. That could give us stuck on Earth a much better shot of astronauts bouncing around on the lunar surface: Buzz Aldrin was a great cameraman, but he didn't have an iPhone.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/18/tech/4g- ... index.html
Politics_Observer wrote:@Rancid

What was that movie that @Potemkin referred to one time? Elysium I think it was. Could there by an Elysium type future on the Moon and Mars?

I have no idea, but I also wonder what will happen with moon. Will the moon be militarized or will it be commercialized?
Last edited by Rancid on 21 Oct 2020 00:41, edited 1 time in total.
They should sort out their mobile phone business first....

Put their brains back into winning back a good market share and not letting HMD fall behind.

Could get back some good profits in the post-Huawei climate.

(Posted on my 2017 Nokia 8, such a great phone I'll keep it till it dies on me now)
@colliric

Over here in the states you can get an encrypted cellular 4G LTE wireless network in your vehicle so your mobile smart phones don't have to use it's data to maintain an internet connection and your tablets can get an internet connection using that traveling 4G LTE encrypted wireless network while traveling in your vehicle. 5G has come out in some cities and that is REALLY fast from what I understand. The 5G cellar networks I am sure will rely more heavily on the newer IPv6 technology and make smart cars a possibility given it is so much faster than 4G LTE.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

That is a great question with a complicated answe[…]

I'm not American. Politics is power relations be[…]

@FiveofSwords If you want to dump some random […]

…. I don't know who in their right mind would be[…]