Is China winning the space race? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Anything from household gadgets to the Large Hadron Collider (note: political science topics belong in the Environment & Science forum).

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

B0ycey wrote:
Only "one thing" has left the Solar system and it wasn't intended to do so initially.

Also there is a time issue with doing that anyway given it takes decades.

China has done something that you haven't and you think that is bragging.

It isn't, it is just confirming a fact back to you.

Also their space station isn't finished and they seem open for other nations to do joint projects on it. Do not be surprised if Russia leave the ISS for it given it may well be more advanced than the ISS in time.

You're forgetting Voyager...

So what.

And what, exactly, have they done in Space that we have not?

I was talking about your bragging about it. People going to the Moon is a big deal, but the next real step is building a base on the Moon (in it, really) and start getting ready to mine. China is headed for economic trouble, I doubt it will happen. I wish it would, since Congress seems to treat Space as a vanity project, that would get us going again.

It's still going to be just another LEO station. If anyone wants to impress me, build a proper station at L5...
late wrote:You're forgetting Voyager...

So what.

And what, exactly, have they done in Space that we have not?

I was talking about your bragging about it. People going to the Moon is a big deal, but the next real step is building a base on the Moon (in it, really) and start getting ready to mine. China is headed for economic trouble, I doubt it will happen. I wish it would, since Congress seems to treat Space as a vanity project, that would get us going again.

It's still going to be just another LEO station. If anyone wants to impress me, build a proper station at L5...

I was talking about Voyager.

Even so I was saying that China have plans to colonise the Moon and reach Mars. In fact I doubt America's announcement to return to the Moon was coincidental but to keep up actually. So what is it going to take for you to take Chinas space projects seriously? What they have achieved today or what they will achieve in the future? Either way they seem to be on the way to winning given they have a space agency that doesn't rely on shareholders for what their goals maybe.

Also, and I seem to be repeating this, their space station... NOT COMPLETE YET!
B0ycey wrote:
Even so I was saying that China have plans to colonise the Moon and reach Mars. In fact I doubt America's announcement to return to the Moon was coincidental but to keep up actually. So what is it going to take for you to take Chinas space projects seriously? What they have achieved today or what they will achieve in the future? Either way they seem to be on the way to winning given they have a space agency that doesn't rely on shareholders for what their goals maybe.

Also, and I seem to be repeating this, their space station... NOT COMPLETE YET!

From your OP:

"They currently have their own space station, making steps on a lunar base as well as getting man back to the Moon, sending a rovers to Mars and have ambitions to reach there before the end of the next few decades as well. And when those are the targets, how is that not a win..."

It's not a win because it hasn't happened, and I seriously doubt a lot of it will happen.
late wrote:It's not a win because it hasn't happened, and I seriously doubt a lot of it will happen.

The question of course is asking are China winning, which implies they wouldn't have got the "win" yet. The OP pointed out that the goals of both nations (China and the US) seem different currently given you are focused on reusable rockets and space tourism and the Chinese on colonisation. The reason for that is because national interests are different to commercial interests which NASA now relies on. I don't doubt that China will achieve everything they set out to achieve. I don't wear Yanky glasses so can see what they have done and it seems they are reaching all their targets right now at a very impressive speed. And you guys are not. So I will accept that you have currently achieved more. But like a bolt of lightening against a rain drop, you have have a huge headstart but if you are not focused you will soon get caught up and left behind. It is only a matter of time when China are able to achieve what they set out to do. And when they have, the question is where is the US in comparison. Are they ahead or behind? And that is really what the OP is all about. From my perspective the US are set to be behind.
B0ycey wrote:
The question of course is asking are China winning, which implies they wouldn't have got the "win" yet. The OP pointed out that the goals of both nations (China and the US) seem different currently given you are focused on reusable rockets and space tourism and the Chinese on colonisation. The reason for that is because national interests are different to commercial interests which NASA now relies on. I don't doubt that China will achieve everything they set out to achieve. I don't wear Yanky glasses so can see what they have done and it seems they are reaching all their targets right now at a very impressive speed. And you guys are not. So I will accept that you have currently achieved more. But like a bolt of lightening against a rain drop, you have have a huge headstart but if you are not focused you will soon get caught up and left behind. It is only a matter of time when China are able to achieve what they set out to do. And when they have, the question is where is the US in comparison. Are they ahead or behind? And that is really what the OP is all about. From my perspective the US are set to be behind.

Space is just too expensive..

There is no Space Race, and it won't be coming back. Our focus is on science, and the development of technology. At the moment, China is working on the showy stuff, like their station. If they stick around, they will also have to focus on what offers them a benefit.
@late

I have to disagree with you late. There is a space race and space is VERY IMPORTANT. We can't neglect space.

@B0ycey

I will say this, China could beat us in a space race if we let our guard down and don't take them seriously. If the U.S. wants to stay on top in the space race, it needs to take China's challenge seriously and be willing to spend the money and put in the hard work to compete. Otherwise we will get overtaken by China.

It's like you said, we shouldn't underestimate China and I take them as a serious a competitor and challenger who shouldn't be overlooked. China is also learning from us and wanting to use commercial companies to help with the efficiency and innovation of their space program. Now, both China and Russia are rushing to develop their own reusable space rockets to catch up to us in that respect.
Last edited by Politics_Observer on 17 Jun 2021 18:16, edited 3 times in total.
When it comes to space science ESA and even JAXA are still ahead and NASA is far ahead.

When it comes to human spaceflight it depends largely one SpaceX. If Starship becomes reality NASA is far ahead here as well.
Politics_Observer wrote:
@late

I have to disagree with you late. There is a space race and space is VERY IMPORTANT. We can't neglect space.

China's big thing is mining the Moon, and we haven't responded.

Of course we should be in Space, I've said many times we should multiply NASA's budget tenfold.

But until something like that happens, NASA will have to focus on R&D.

But I wouldn't worry about China, this is a prestige thing, the practical benefits from doing stuff that's already been done will be miniscule.
A moon rover in December.

The first space station module in April.

A Mars rover in May.

And a manned mission in June.

And it's not slowing down.

Still isn't a race. A race would be toward some identifiable goal. Everybody is off doing their own thing.
NASA recently landed a rover on Mars, which is collecting rock samples that will be returned to Earth.
I don't understand why charismatic billionaires get so much attention.

@KurtFF8 Litwin wages a psyops war here but we […]

[usermention=41202] @late[/usermention] Are you[…]

[usermention=41202] @late[/usermention] The[…]

I (still) have a dream

Because the child's cattle-like parents "fol[…]