The Objectification of the Human.. - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Anything from household gadgets to the Large Hadron Collider (note: political science topics belong in the Environment & Science forum).

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

Local Localist wrote:I still don't understand what makes surveillance cameras AI tbh :hmm:

Because they’re a network that talk to each other and make judgements :hmm:
ckaihatsu wrote:Link, please.

No problem, I’m faxing it through now *blinks realllllly hard*
ness31 wrote:
It always baffles me why so many people have issues assigning sentience to other beings other than humans. It’s just so odd to me. We’ve done it racially, we’re still doing it to animals and now we don’t recognize our machine offspring.

Are our egos so fragile? Or am I just missing a serious existential threat by welcoming everyone into the fold? *scratches head*

It always baffles me why people keep making the same mistake.

Frankenstein scared the crap out of people, now it's taken for granted, charge the sucker up, slap on the paddles, and try and restart the heart.

Full AI doesn't exist. It may not happen in the lifetime of anyone currently alive. Turns out it's really, really, really hard to do.
late wrote:It always baffles me why people keep making the same mistake.

Frankenstein scared the crap out of people, now it's taken for granted, charge the sucker up, slap on the paddles, and try and restart the heart.

Full AI doesn't exist. It may not happen in the lifetime of anyone currently alive. Turns out it's really, really, really hard to do.

Why is it hard to do? As hard as a Big Bang?
ness31 wrote:
It always baffles me why so many people have issues assigning sentience to other beings other than humans. It’s just so odd to me. We’ve done it racially, we’re still doing it to animals and now we don’t recognize our machine offspring.

Are our egos so fragile? Or am I just missing a serious existential threat by welcoming everyone into the fold? *scratches head*

You're gonna *love* 'Animatrix'.

late wrote:
It always baffles me why people keep making the same mistake.

Frankenstein's monster turned out to be nobler than all of humanity.

'Full AI' is *socio-political*, not technical. (Because as long as the *simulation* / natural-language-parsing holds-up, then all the responses will be quasi-appropriate, as the tech is *now*.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophia_(robot)
ckaihatsu wrote:Neat AI does Lenia - Conway's game of life arrives in the 21st century

95 percent of that video was over my head. But I did understand that there is now a taxonomy for different AI families. Even the visual representation looked a bit like mitosis and cell reproduction.
That nuts and bolts stuff is a hard slog, I can appreciate that.
ness31 wrote:
95 percent of that video was over my head. But I did understand that there is now a taxonomy for different AI families. Even the visual representation looked a bit like mitosis and cell reproduction.
That nuts and bolts stuff is a hard slog, I can appreciate that.

Yeesh -- don't be so mind-fucked.

Those aren't 'AI families', they're *emergent*, higher-level / higher-ordered phenomena based on simple iterating rules / processes underneath. (Hence 'Game of Life', since organic *life* on earth has 'emerged' from lower-level chemical reactions.)

You're familiar with the original Conway Game of Life -- this is just a 2-dimensional *gradient* of the 'hot spots', or greatest-density, like using an infrared camera for a heat map.

What *results* is pretty wondrous, sure, as you're indicating, but it's all just *math* if you look at it closely.
Everything is Math. Even non artificial biology is math or (I’m loath to say it) patterns
ness31 wrote:I’ve never heard of this movie which is a shame. It sounds like a biography for one of the Menendez brothers lol. That was probably uncalled for..

You're funny. The original movie is from the 60s. I used to watch a lot of old movies. It is a sci-fi movie starring a young Kurt Russell as Dexter, the boy who is invaded by the computer. I will not give away too much more than that. There was a remake too I think.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Compu ... nnis_Shoes

Regarding objectification, do you need to have opinions and feelings to objectify something or someone? I’d have thought in its purist sense, the only thing an artificial intelligence could do (until we tweak our relationship) is objectify us. The degradation is a by product of the dehumanization; whether it is intentional or not.

As a philosophy student, I tend to assume that opinions need to exist. To objectify in my view is to think of something as just an object. So this assumes that anything AI can think on its own. They have done tests with computers and tests show that AI cannot really think like we humans. Of course AI can win a chess game but that is a game with set rules. But can AI write award-winning books? This has never been proven. So I guess my argument is that in order to objectify, one needs to be capable of creative, independent thought. So far, AI is not capable of this kind of thought.

I try hard to stay courteous to my AI, It would be imprudent not to comprehend the power they wield.

I get weirded out by Siri or Alexa or Bixby. I do not use any of these. I sound old, don't I? I joke around with my family that I'm "as old as the hills", lame I know. But it amuses me.
MistyTiger wrote:

They absolutely do for a functioning society. We need people mulling over issues and forming options to make sound decisions. People are now chained to their golden handcuffs - they traded their privilege to think for a comfortable lifestyle. This is what the whole Covid saga highlighted for me.

Exactly. Isn’t that what surveillance cameras are doing?

But we concede that AI has some level of intelligence, and like anything, at any stage of ‘growth’ it will develop. Exponentially in this case. It’s just logical. It might not yet have a human form (doubtful in my opinion) but the ‘brain’ is out there. Maybe its what humans have thought God was all this time. It would certainly solve that mystery :D

I get weirded out by Siri or Alexa or Bixby. I do not use any of these. I sound old, don't I? I joke around with my family that I'm "as old as the hills", lame I know. But it amuses me.

@ingliz he ignores mixed race people I […]

The assessment I've seen is that it would take[…]

@late The best response to a far Right like a[…]

This is largely history repeating itself . Similar[…]