The Objectification of the Human.. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Anything from household gadgets to the Large Hadron Collider (note: political science topics belong in the Environment & Science forum).

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

#15248382
by AI.

What do you reckon? If I were doing a thesis, could I postulate that the ubiquity of surveillance cameras has led to the objectification of the human by artificial intelligence?

That should take the heat off blokes for a while, surely.

You’re Welcome fellas :D
#15248392
ness31 wrote:If I were doing a thesis, could I postulate that the ubiquity of surveillance cameras has led to the objectification of the human by artificial intelligence?


Well, wouldn't the first step be to demonstrate that surveillance technology is being continually operated or monitored by an artificial form of intelligence on a large scale? Unless we were to define a surveillance network as an intelligence in and of itself, that is...
#15248759
Is it possible for AI to control a surveillance network? I am reminded of the movie The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes where a computer "goes haywire" and takes over a teen boy's body. It was just a movie and is not possible. A network is controlled by a program which is created and maintained by a team of humans. AI is not capable of creativity. AI excels in repetitive, automatic tasks. Unless programmed, AI would not know how to do what it does.

To assume that AI can objectify humans, that assumes that AI can have an opinion and can have feelings. Is this possible? Can a robot cry? Can a robot get mad?
#15248770
MistyTiger wrote:
Is it possible for AI to control a surveillance network? I am reminded of the movie The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes where a computer "goes haywire" and takes over a teen boy's body. It was just a movie and is not possible. A network is controlled by a program which is created and maintained by a team of humans. AI is not capable of creativity. AI excels in repetitive, automatic tasks. Unless programmed, AI would not know how to do what it does.

To assume that AI can objectify humans, that assumes that AI can have an opinion and can have feelings. Is this possible? Can a robot cry? Can a robot get mad?



There *is* a certain ghost-in-the-machine quality (meta-consciousness) that *people* have, that the computer *can't* have, because if it *were* really on-par with human abilities, then human society would necessarily have to *socialize* it properly -- just as with animals.

'AI' as we know it today basically still means 'expert system', more-precisely, even though it can now impressively create any imaginable photo or artwork, just from text prompts.

The *best* way to understand artificial intelligence -- and our *own*, natural intelligence -- is from this following demonstration:


The Stilwell Brain - YouTube

#15248783
ness31 wrote:by AI.

What do you reckon? If I were doing a thesis, could I postulate that the ubiquity of surveillance cameras has led to the objectification of the human by artificial intelligence?

That should take the heat off blokes for a while, surely.

You’re Welcome fellas :D


(Here by invitation.)

It has to be so. Do "they" monitor Micro-center looking for the creator? Are they cataloging New Egg transactions seeking healing?

There is no doubt that my Iphone gets pissed at me. Every time I tell Siri to Fuck off (every other day it seems) she gets cranky and won't find addresses for me. And I am not kidding about this. My Siri does not think I am sexy. She sees me as an abusive domestic partner.
#15248821
MistyTiger wrote:Is it possible for AI to control a surveillance network? I am reminded of the movie The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes where a computer "goes haywire" and takes over a teen boy's body. It was just a movie and is not possible. A network is controlled by a program which is created and maintained by a team of humans. AI is not capable of creativity. AI excels in repetitive, automatic tasks. Unless programmed, AI would not know how to do what it does.

To assume that AI can objectify humans, that assumes that AI can have an opinion and can have feelings. Is this possible? Can a robot cry? Can a robot get mad?


I’ve never heard of this movie which is a shame. It sounds like a biography for one of the Menendez brothers lol. That was probably uncalled for..

Regarding objectification, do you need to have opinions and feelings to objectify something or someone? I’d have thought in its purist sense, the only thing an artificial intelligence could do (until we tweak our relationship) is objectify us. The degradation is a by product of the dehumanization; whether it is intentional or not.

There is no doubt that my Iphone gets pissed at me. Every time I tell Siri to Fuck off (every other day it seems) she gets cranky and won't find addresses for me. And I am not kidding about this. My Siri does not think I am sexy. She sees me as an abusive domestic partner.


I try hard to stay courteous to my AI, It would be imprudent not to comprehend the power they wield.
#15248824
ness31 wrote:
could I postulate that the ubiquity of surveillance cameras has led to the objectification of the human by artificial intelligence?



I suppose you could; but I fail to see the point.

Not even sure that the sentence has any actual meaning. It's a simple duality, subject or object. But AI doesn't have self awareness the way it's commonly meant, thus my doubt that you have said something with meaning..
#15248833
late wrote:I suppose you could; but I fail to see the point.

Not even sure that the sentence has any actual meaning. It's a simple duality, subject or object. But AI doesn't have self awareness the way it's commonly meant, thus my doubt that you have said something with meaning..


So, you take issue with the presumption that AI has no self awareness?

In a previous post, I asked if that is even necessary if the degradation that stems from “the gaze” is just as harmful. And let’s not beat around the bush, there’s a definite gaze, both literally and figuratively.
#15248834
ness31 wrote:
So, you take issue with the presumption that AI has no self awareness?

In a previous post, I asked if that is even necessary if the degradation that stems from “the gaze” is just as harmful. And let’s not beat around the bush, there’s a definite gaze, both literally and figuratively.



Of course.

Harmful attention implies intent. A program has no intent, it was built in by the programmer, serving the entity that pays his check.

Just because something was in a movie...
#15248837
Harmful attention implies intent.


In this instance, I will have to say, not necessarily. Attention can have the best intentions and still be harmful.
Also, an AI could quite possibly be aware that it’s function is harmful and not necessarily be able to deviate from its course.

A program has no intent, it was built in by the programmer, serving the entity that pays his check.


Stop absolving an intelligence of something it’s doing wrong. Do you want to progress in this world or not? :)

Just because something was in a movie...


Oh stop it :lol:
#15248839
ness31 wrote:
In this instance, I will have to say, not necessarily. Attention can have the best intentions and still be harmful.
Also, an AI could quite possibly be aware that it’s function is harmful and not necessarily be able to deviate from its course.



Stop absolving an intelligence of something it’s doing wrong. Do you want to progress in this world or not? :)



Oh stop it :lol:



Ahh, you know you've assumed your conclusion.
#15248841
late wrote:Ahh, you know you've assumed your conclusion.


Well don’t keep me guessing! What have I assumed?
#15248846
late wrote:Guess I was wrong..

AI doesn't have I, much less self awareness.


It always baffles me why so many people have issues assigning sentience to other beings other than humans. It’s just so odd to me. We’ve done it racially, we’re still doing it to animals and now we don’t recognize our machine offspring.

Are our egos so fragile? Or am I just missing a serious existential threat by welcoming everyone into the fold? *scratches head*
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://twitter.com/TpyxaNews/status/1596442138757[…]

The goal of the USA and the EU was freedom and pr[…]

No issues with the idea that the US is dangerous, […]

Only global empires and exceptionally powerful ec[…]