The Human Antenna? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Anything from household gadgets to the Large Hadron Collider (note: political science topics belong in the Environment & Science forum).

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Robert Urbanek
This evening I was watching the Michigan St. vs Michigan game on the ABC broadcast channel on my 32-inch ROKU TV. I was sitting about eight feet away on my sofa. The set is connected to an indoor antenna facing a window about four feet above the TV. Behind me to the right, about four feet away on a small stand, is my WI-FI router.

Sometimes I do not get good reception on ABC but this evening I was getting a good signal. However, as I got up to go to the bathroom, the signal started to break up with those typical blips and jagged lines. When I returned and sat down the strong signal resumed. About 15 minutes later I again left the sofa to refill my pill dispenser on my dining table, which is an additional eight feet from the sofa. Again, the signal began to break up but resumed when I finished my task and returned to the sofa.

Is there something about the physical composition of the human body that helps “ground” a broadcast signal?
By late
Robert Urbanek wrote:
This evening I was watching the Michigan St. vs Michigan game on the ABC broadcast channel on my 32-inch ROKU TV. I was sitting about eight feet away on my sofa. The set is connected to an indoor antenna facing a window about four feet above the TV. Behind me to the right, about four feet away on a small stand, is my WI-FI router.

Sometimes I do not get good reception on ABC but this evening I was getting a good signal. However, as I got up to go to the bathroom, the signal started to break up with those typical blips and jagged lines. When I returned and sat down the strong signal resumed. About 15 minutes later I again left the sofa to refill my pill dispenser on my dining table, which is an additional eight feet from the sofa. Again, the signal began to break up but resumed when I finished my task and returned to the sofa.

Is there something about the physical composition of the human body that helps “ground” a broadcast signal?

In theory yes, it's directional. Find our where their antenna is, and draw a line. You can get a stronger signal with an antenna on the roof.
By BlutoSays
Robert Urbanek wrote:This evening I was watching the Michigan St. vs Michigan game on the ABC broadcast channel on my 32-inch ROKU TV. I was sitting about eight feet away on my sofa. The set is connected to an indoor antenna facing a window about four feet above the TV. Behind me to the right, about four feet away on a small stand, is my WI-FI router.

It's not an easy question. People go through RF engineering for years to learn about gain, multipath, link budgets, SNR ratios, antenna design, etc. The math puts people to sleep.

Just spend some time experimenting with better antennas like TERK or something from Crutchfield.
By Rancid
Robert Urbanek wrote:This evening I was watching the Michigan St. vs Michigan game on the ABC broadcast channel on my 32-inch ROKU TV. I was sitting about eight feet away on my sofa. The set is connected to an indoor antenna facing a window about four feet above the TV. Behind me to the right, about four feet away on a small stand, is my WI-FI router.

Yes, you will interfere with the operation of the antenna. If you are within 1 wavelength of the antenna, you can also affect its reception. There's an old trick with FM radios. Often the reception gets better when you grab on to the antenna. This is because (depending on the exact frequency) the human body is nearly 1 wavelength tall. Also, you don't have to grab on to the antenna to affect it.

In short, yes, you are an antenna. Actually, basically everything in the universe can act as an antenna. Anything that has some conductivity (which is everything.. even a rock)

My credentials? A master degree in Radio Frequency Integrated Circuit design..,... A degree I never used due to the 2008 recession though. :lol: Also, I barely remember fuck all anything from those days lol.

Antenna design and tuning is a black art of sorts. Even though I formally studied this, and did an internship in antenna tuning... in the end, it's a very very experience based field.
By BlutoSays
Your keyfob doesn't work too far away from your car to unlock it?

Face the car, open your mouth, put the keyfob under your chin and press lock or unlock.
late wrote:In theory yes, it's directional. Find our where their antenna is, and draw a line. You can get a stronger signal with an antenna on the roof.

Given the very high winds we have been experiencing lately, I don’t want to hire somebody to put an antenna on the roof just to see it knocked down by climate chaos. I am largely satisfied with the programming I get from strong broadcast channels, the free streaming channels (mostly watch for news and commentary) and the huge variety of DVDs available at the library.
By Panasonic

It is called programming. ;)
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

That or some of the Republicans are crazy or stup[…]

Re: Why do Americans automatically side with Ukra[…]

Gaza is not under Israeli occupation. Telling […]

https://twitter.com/ShadowofEzra/status/178113719[…]