When does something become a part of a culture? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All sociological topics not appropriate or suited to other areas of the board.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Unthinking Majority wrote:I get all of your points. So are we to assume that culture is then only things that originate from a certain place/society? Or maybe things that a large portion of the people of a certain society take part in?

That's hard to say. Everyone would associate eating hamburgers and hotdogs with American culture but those foods originate in Germany. Something like baseball is easy to associate with America because it originated there, but then what about the "ballpark frank" (frankfurter - a German food named after a German city brought by German Americans I assume)? These are hard questions.

Sure, there are always hard cases.

But I think I covered this in my first post -- some things became parts of Korean culture even if they are not originated there, like baseball.

Catholicism certainly did not originate in the Philippines, but how could we talk about Filipino culture without bringing up Catholicism and other denominations of Christianity?

There are also things that can be just part of specific periods of a culture. Periwigs and dueling pistols played an important role in 18th century America, but they are no more.

Just as such, we can all think of plenty of things we hope will cease to be part of certain cultures one day -- like High waisted mom jeans being a fashion trend, not just a trope for middle aged women.
Verv wrote:Sure, there are always hard cases.

But I think I covered this in my first post -- some things became parts of Korean culture even if they are not originated there, like baseball.

Catholicism certainly did not originate in the Philippines, but how could we talk about Filipino culture without bringing up Catholicism and other denominations of Christianity?

There are also things that can be just part of specific periods of a culture. Periwigs and dueling pistols played an important role in 18th century America, but they are no more.

Just as such, we can all think of plenty of things we hope will cease to be part of certain cultures one day -- like High waisted mom jeans being a fashion trend, not just a trope for middle aged women.

I think there's a difference in something being a part of a society's culture, and something having a cultural origin within a specific culture.
Verv wrote:Just as such, we can all think of plenty of things we hope will cease to be part of certain cultures one day -- like High waisted mom jeans being a fashion trend, not just a trope for middle aged women.

What is wrong with white people in America? :eh:

I would bet you have very strong feelings about DE[…]

@Rugoz A compromise with Putin is impossibl[…]

@KurtFF8 Litwin wages a psyops war here but we […]

[usermention=41202] @late[/usermention] The[…]