The impact of women independence in the family life - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All sociological topics not appropriate or suited to other areas of the board.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Great comedian
Being a full time mother is important, Fasces. Not difficult.

I've gotten quite the flak(harsh words, etc.) from women when I've said that, too. They sure don't like you implying that watching and taking care of kids is easy(which it is), because then that might make their contribution to a marriage less. That's not true. It has value. It's just not as hard as going to work for 10 hours a day for 5 days a week.

I worked shift work. I'd be home watching the kids, and it wasn't a real chore. I mean, when you make food for yourself, you only have to make more for the kids. Duhh!

Household chores take up about 2-3 hours a day(tops), but can be spread out throughout the day, when you see fit. I hear the shit about laundry taking hours... well yeah, if you count the time you are watching TV while the machines are running...
I think when people say parenting is the most difficult job, they're not talking about chores, but trying to turn a baby into a superior adult.

Fasces, feminism was a reaction to the way women were treated a hundred years ago, when they were treated as oversized children who couldn't think for themselves, and therefore oughtn't be allowed to vote, nor attend university, work outside the home until the men-folk were off to war and if the man didn't come home, or was a drunk etc she was economically ruined. Divorce was difficult, her reputation was ruined, and finding a job was difficult. Even today, women are one of the principle sources of cheap labour and that shall remain so until minimum wage is increased and pegged to the rate of inflation.

If a couple want a stay-home parent fine; if he wants her to work, he should be prepared to do ironing, make beds, meals, shop etc too.

Now, go wash out your mouth with soap.
In some ways it has changed things and other ways the world hasn't changed materially enough make much of an impact.
It's obviously allowed more women to leave relationships abusive or otherwise due to some having the financial independence to not be trapped to their partner resulting in single mother households.
https://www.sprc.unsw.edu.au/media/SPRCFile/DP133.pdf
Sole mothers are faced, even more acutely than are mothers in couple headed families, with the competing demands of market and home production. The difficulty of meeting both these important aspects of parental responsibility is reflected in the Australian policy approach to sole mothers, which shows some ambivalence as to whether to prioritise maternal care or financial independence (Gray et al. 2002; McHugh and Millar 1997).

This comparison of time spent by lone mothers and the combined time spent by parents in couple families does not bear out concerns that children of Australian sole mothers are receiving much less time in each of the activities that comprise childcare, or fewer total hours of parental care, than are children in two parent families. Whether it arises from the positive (a desire to parent), or from the negative (that they are excluded from paid work by virtue of their commitments to care), sole mothers in Australia provide their children with very similar amounts and types of care to that available to children in couple families. The paper also shows that being without a partner has some time-related benefits. Sole mothers donít do as much housework as women in couples, and they enjoy more leisure without their children present than do couple mothers. These slight time gains must be placed in context. Australian lone parent households have a poverty rate of 56.2 per cent compared with 7.7 per cent for couple families (LIS 1997), but the exposure of the children of sole mothers to higher rates of poverty is not matched by a parental care deficit. This implies that even in the face of considerable economic deprivation sole parents prioritise their caring function over their earning function.

Here is a global report on the state of fathers.
This page, for a quick summary of the report.

Taken from my textbook "The Journey of Adulthood" Barbra R Bjorklund 8th edition.
Chapter 7 Employment and Retirement
Page 240
The increase of mothers in the workforce has been one of the biggest social changes in the United States over the last three generations. Early concerns about neglected children haven't materialized; the fact that a mother has a job outside the home, in and of itself, has no effect on the children's well-being. Instead, factors such as home environment, quality of day care, parents' marital status, and the stability of mother's employment determine the outcome for her children (Gottfried, 2005). To the contrary, a mother in the workforce can be a benefit to her children if she has good support at home and at work; when mothers are willingly in the workforce, their children have increased academic achievement and fewer behavior problems than children whose mothers are not in the workforce - or are there unwillingly (Belsky, 2001).
When children of working mothers grow up, they have more egalitarian attitudes (Riggio & Desrochers, 2005). The daughters of working mothers consider more options when choosing careers, and the sons are more apt to share in the household work when they marry (Gupta, 2006).

Page 242
Household labor takes place in the privacy of the home, so it is difficult to know who does what. The best we can do is look at survey data, in which working couples are asked how they spend their time. Figure 7.3 shows the results of a survey done by the Pew Research Center (2013b). Parents who are either married or living together and who have at least one child under the age of 18 report that mothers spend an average of 16 hours a week on household labor while the fathers spend 9. Mothers also report more time on the child care than fathers. However, fathers spend more on paid work, and when housework, child care, and paid work are combined, the total is very close (59 hours for mothers, 58 hours for fathers).

Can't find the paper now but will be intuitive enough i think, people are more satisfied in relationships that have congruence in beliefs about gender. So gender egalitarians with their like minded bedfellows and gender traditionalists with other traditionalists leads to greater satisfaction.
There's mixed results about satisfaction of either relationship and the nature of sexual satisfaction.
Like gender egalitarians having less sex but more emotionally satisfying sex.
Also, men seem not so significantly effected by the gendered nature of the relationship in satisfaction levels as do women, a woman who is gender egalitarian and has a man who contributes around the house I believe has been shown to be more satisfied, but without that she is thoroughly more dissatisfied. So more extremes for them where the other perhaps greater stability.
There's also speculation that there is greater stress on gender egalitarian relationships in that it requires greater communication and psychological effort on negotiating expectations and boundaries where gender traditionalists have internalized norms and witness roles culturally and often in their upbringing, social learning obviously important. There also is a discrepancy in how men and women conceive of house work and child rearing, women see it as their duty where many men see them as doing a bonus rather than acting out of duty in many cases.
So the wife could in fact work just as many hours as the husband, finish work and now she's onto her "2nd shift" of work for the day as she has to then come home and attend to such tasks. This presumably reflects internalized identities and expectations of them as men and women.
[url]=http://www.kidspot.com.au/i-was-up-with-the-baby-last-night-wheres-my-medal/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=editorialHere is an anecdotal example[/url] of the sort of praise a man expected for not being as parentally absent relative to other men.

Are you aware that the only difference between yo[…]

@FiveofSwords If you think that science is mer[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I'm just free flowing thought here: I'm trying t[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

…. the left puts on the gas pedal and the right […]