Could obesity be a predictor of the next political mayhem? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All sociological topics not appropriate or suited to other areas of the board.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
BigSteve wrote:No, I'm not.

My use of the word "liberals" is with the idea of how it's used in America.

Here, liberals detest the very idea of personal responsibility and will always seek to blame others for their failings and woes...

Welcome to an international forum where the actual historical meaning of the word is the actual historical meaning of the word. You can use something else instead of liberal though for example SJW? Progressive? etc
JohnRawls wrote:Welcome to an international forum where the actual historical meaning of the word is the actual historical meaning of the word. You can use something else instead of liberal though for example SJW? Progressive? etc

Don't let him use Progressive, please. I'd suggest him use "libtard". Pretty much the same and derogatory too without any relevant historic and political meaning.
Beren wrote:Don't let him use Progressive, please. I'd suggest him use "libtard". Pretty much the same and derogatory too without any relevant historic and political meaning.

Why not, progressive seems okay. Reactionary vs Progressive seems okay in my opinion. And let us be honest here, Trump supporters are liberal reactionaries. Democrats are sort of progressive liberals in my book. This is an oversimplification to say the least but those are decent tags if you want to use tags.
JohnRawls wrote:Why not, progressive seems okay. Reactionary vs Progressive seems okay in my opinion. And let us be honest here, Trump supporters are liberal reactionaries. Democrats are sort of progressive liberals in my book. This is an oversimplification to say the least but those are decent tags if you want to use tags.

Progressive has a broader meaning and he means "libtards" anyway.
Beren wrote:Progressive has a broader meaning and he means "libtards" anyway.

Not really if you consider it as being Progressive and Reactionary. The Trump story is reactionary at its core:

In political science, a reactionary is a person who holds political views that favour a return to the status quo ante, the previous political state of society, which they believe possessed characteristics (most notably economic prosperity, justice, individual ownership, discipline, respect for authority) that are negatively absent from the contemporary status quo of a society.

Hence the "Make America Great AGAIN". Return to the old style of life. Return to the old traditions that were changed for specific reasons.
JohnRawls wrote:Not really if you consider it as being Progressive and Reactionary. The Trump story is reactionary at its core:

Hence the "Make America Great AGAIN". Return to the old style of life. Return to the old traditions that were changed for specific reasons.

I understand there's such a dichotomy, but he doesn't think in such terms, so why not simply use Democrats then? It's even shorter and more accurate. He should use Democrats rather than Progressives and libtards rather than liberals, that's what he means anyway.
JohnRawls wrote:Welcome to an international forum where the actual historical meaning of the word is the actual historical meaning of the word. You can use something else instead of liberal though for example SJW? Progressive? etc

I honestly don't care what you think I should use...
BigSteve wrote:I honestly don't care what you think I should use...

Well, you don't see me calling Trump Commodus do you? There are parallels to be made between the two and a lot of them.
JohnRawls wrote:Well, you don't see me calling Trump Commodus do you? There are parallels to be made between the two and a lot of them.

In the United States, "liberal" has a pretty specific meaning. Hell, I know liberals who hate to be called "liberals" because, by and large, it's considered a pejorative.

And if you want to call Trump "Commodus", knock yourself out...
In most of the world and in political science, “liberal” has a specific meaning. And this is why we all know US conservatives who hate to be called “liberals” (even though they are liberals) because, by and large in the US conservative milieu, it is considered a pejorative.

But US conservatives are still liberals.
Pants-of-dog wrote:In most of the world and in political science, “liberal” has a specific meaning. And this is why we all know US conservatives who hate to be called “liberals” (even though they are liberals) because, by and large in the US conservative milieu, it is considered a pejorative.

But US conservatives are still liberals.

But, when you consider that we don't give a fuck what the rest of the world thinks...
Pants-of-dog wrote:Sure?

Anyway, having two meanings for the same word can be confusing, so those of us who are not liberals (in the classic sense) tend to avoid the term.

Um, sure. Okay.

I honestly don't care how Brits define "liberal". Why? Because, well, Brits...
You define Liberal as anyone who disagrees with you, so your definition is slightly flawed, @BigSteve. :D

Liberal:
of, favoring, or based upon the principles of liberalism

Liberalism:
-a theory in economics emphasizing individual freedom from restraint and usually based on free competition, the self-regulating market, and the gold standard
-a political philosophy based on belief in progress, the essential goodness of the human race, and the autonomy of the individual and standing for the protection of political and civil liberties

Liberalism is a political and moral philosophy based on liberty, consent of the governed, and equality before the law. Liberals espouse a wide array of views depending on their understanding of these principles, but they generally support limited government, individual rights (including civil rights and human rights), capitalism (free markets), democracy, secularism, gender equality, racial equality, internationalism, freedom of speech, freedom of the press and freedom of religion.

Liberals... just terrible, as you can see. :lol:
Godstud wrote:Liberals... just terrible, as you can see. :lol:

I know exactly how I define "liberal", and I'm not going to lose any sleep over the fact that the definition is different than yours.

Liberals, truly, are out to make America a festering shithole.

Good Americans will stop them...
BigSteve wrote:Um, sure. Okay.

I honestly don't care how Brits define "liberal". Why? Because, well, Brits...

No one was talking about Brits.

I mentioned “the rest of the world”, and “political science”.

Just remember, things like “democracy” and “gun rights” and “freedom of speech” are all liberal tenets.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Just remember, things like “democracy” and “gun rights” and “freedom of speech” are all liberal tenets.

You won't find too many Democrats here espousing the virtues of both freedom of speech and gun rights. They're all for the former and detest the latter...
BigSteve wrote:You won't find too many Democrats here espousing the virtues of both freedom of speech and gun rights. They're all for the former and detest the latter...

I was not discussing them in particular.

I was referring to the larger group of liberals that you are a part of.

You seem very liberal with your insults, but quite miserly with actual arguments.

Britain: Deliberately imports laborers from around[…]

There was an American ethnigenesis in 1776, 1865,[…]

There's nothing more progressive than supporting b[…]

A man from Oklahoma (United States) who travelled […]