Why Heavy Metal Music is dominated by males - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All sociological topics not appropriate or suited to other areas of the board.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
#15038251
Hormones do not control taste. I like hard rock and Stone Sour, does that mean I have higher levels of testosterone than women who prefer Cyndi Lauper? No, I do not think so. I also prefer action movies to chick flicks...nothing to do with hormones. I just like fast action and fast cars more than romantic conversation.

Julian658 wrote:Some fields are dominated by men and others by women. Can you even explain why?


Could be because in the 20s and 30s, women are giving birth and stepping out of the work force at the height of their careers. Men work through those crucial career building years so management favors the ones who stay in the field.
#15038257
I have the same observation of the gender break down in Metal as its the genre I too like.

My (schtick of psuedo-science) rationale for this field and many others [sexism time]: men, as a group, are more varied than women. More obsessives and more lazy fucks (the extremes), more highly apt and highly inept, more people who have a strong feeling pro/anti metal/identity-group.. and less in the middle. To be a fan of a music genre so much that you participate in fan groups, go to concerts (mosh pits..) seems extreme.

For the performer/industry side, my view is that success requires tenacity obsession and the ability to overcome many obstacles, in addition to skill (learned and natural). That obsession also overrules reason and correct self evaluation which leads to many hacks (and worse) populating every field**, in addition to the desperate and those stuck in a rut. If its a field that requires a lot of interactions with many different people at many stages of development and presentation (which is the case for professional bands), then each person's biases can be an obstacle.

** I suspect there is also a population of obsessed/desperate people who take financial/other hits (elsewhere in their lives and poor compensation) to "live the dream", which means even a lean industry might tolerate some sub-par talent because their presence buoys others.
#15038295
MistyTiger wrote:Hormones do not control taste. I like hard rock and Stone Sour, does that mean I have higher levels of testosterone than women who prefer Cyndi Lauper? No, I do not think so. I also prefer action movies to chick flicks...nothing to do with hormones. I just like fast action and fast cars more than romantic conversation.



Could be because in the 20s and 30s, women are giving birth and stepping out of the work force at the height of their careers. Men work through those crucial career building years so management favors the ones who stay in the field.


Women are saddled with pregnancy. Men are not. Before birth control women had multiple pregnancies during their fertile years and hence it was practically impossible to work all the time.

Sexual dimorphism: Men are bigger and stronger. Some jobs require strength.

Men are willing to do dangerous jobs.

Men are willing to go away or relocate more often
#15038514
Julian658 wrote:Women are saddled with pregnancy. Men are not. Before birth control women had multiple pregnancies during their fertile years and hence it was practically impossible to work all the time.

Sexual dimorphism: Men are bigger and stronger. Some jobs require strength.

Men are willing to do dangerous jobs.

Men are willing to go away or relocate more often


Women can choose when to have babies. They are not "saddled" with it. I do not feel like I need to have a baby. My career is important.

Women can be pro wrestlers, pro football players, soldiers, undercover agents, diplomats, etc. I knew a woman CFO who often traveled as part of her job and she was totally ok with it. If I had a great job offer in another state or another country, I would take it.

Some guys stay at the same company for over 20 years. I am not that type. I need to advance and venture out. I have worked at many companies, more than I include on my resume. If one of them offered to pay moving expenses to central america, I might have agreed.
#15038583
MistyTiger wrote:Women can choose when to have babies. They are not "saddled" with it. I do not feel like I need to have a baby. My career is important.

Women can be pro wrestlers, pro football players, soldiers, undercover agents, diplomats, etc. I knew a woman CFO who often traveled as part of her job and she was totally ok with it. If I had a great job offer in another state or another country, I would take it.

Some guys stay at the same company for over 20 years. I am not that type. I need to advance and venture out. I have worked at many companies, more than I include on my resume. If one of them offered to pay moving expenses to central america, I might have agreed.


Women were saddled with pregnancy one after another through world history. This only changed recently with the invention of the birth control pill in the late 1950s. This had a massive influence in how women developed over thousands of years.


Women can play football as long as they have a separate league with no males allowed. This is now in jeopardy as many developed nations are allowing biologic men that call themselves trans women to compete with regular women. Good luck with that!


When I said men take dangerous jobs, or that they are willing to relocate I was describing the group average. AT the individual level some women do dangerous jobs too. But, let's not forget that death in dangerous jobs is over 90% male.

Women that avoid reproduction have the same success and income and men. I agree!
#15038584
Pants-of-dog wrote:Also, developed countries have paid parental leave, and in most developed countries either parent can take it.

So there is no real reason why the man cannot take time off to look after kids.

If women lift weights (do do jobs that require brute strength) , avoid reproduction, and are willing to take dangerous jobs they will get pay parity with men.
#15038610
Agent Steel wrote:Godstud I'll come back and address your whole post in a bit but for now this statement of yours "Liking something is a CHOICE and done by the intellect, and not instinct or some biological imperative" I find outrageous.

Since when is taste/preference for something a choice? Haven't we established already in the topic about homosexuality that attraction is not a choice? Doesn't that apply across the board to all attractions, including food, music, etc.?


@Godstud Are you going to reply to this?
#15038618
Julian658 wrote:If women lift weights (do do jobs that require brute strength) , avoid reproduction, and are willing to take dangerous jobs they will get pay parity with men.


If men get artificial wombs and can find men to buy sex from them, they can get raped and forced to carry babies like women?
#15038649
AgentSteel wrote:Since when is taste/preference for something a choice? Haven't we established already in the topic about homosexuality that attraction is not a choice?
Have you never heard of the term "Acquired taste"?

Many women, I know, have become to like Metal once they were exposed to it a bit.

Do you think if you got enough homosexual sex you'd "change sides", AgentSteel? or do you think that's something different?

:lol:

(I am sorry for a tardy reply as I am travelling to Phuket now, and am quite busy carousing.)
#15038663
Pants-of-dog wrote:If men get artificial wombs and can find men to buy sex from them, they can get raped and forced to carry babies like women?

That is a transgender woman dream (except the rape).
Your programmer has inserted some routines to make you appear funny. Ha, ha! :D :D
#15038665
Julian658 wrote:That is a transgender woman dream (except the rape).
Your programmer has inserted some routines to make you appear funny. Ha, ha! :D :D


Men dream about rape.

Men are biologically suited for it, so they should be number one in that stat, according to you.
#15038667
Godstud wrote: Have you never heard of the term "Acquired taste"?

Many women, I know, have become to like Metal once they were exposed to it a bit.

Do you think if you got enough homosexual sex you'd "change sides", AgentSteel? or do you think that's something different?

:lol:


Yes, taste can be acquired. But that happens by accident, not by choice.

BTW I also kind of like Lacuna Coil.
#15038713
MistyTiger wrote: I like hard rock and Stone Sour, does that mean I have higher levels of testosterone than women who prefer Cyndi Lauper? No, I do not think so.


You wouldn't know unless you tested yourself against the general population of women who do not like hard rock.

You declaring "no, i don't think so" is no different than the OP claiming "yes, i think so."

Now, your statement might have some validity if you extrapolate a little from other data sources.
#15038716
Did a quick search. This is the most I could find with respect to testosterone and music

https://www.progressivemuscle.com/blog/ ... ic-tastes/

Basically it say's "Maybe, maybe not, and more study needs to happen"

So it certainly does not say hormones (testosterone) have no bearing on musical taste. This gives the OP's hypothesis some hope of potentially being true. @MistyTiger, maybe you do have more testosterone than the general population of women. ;) Then again, maybe not. :)

That said, I'm gonna guess this question will never be answered, because I'm sure the reality is so multi-factored, it will be hard to run an experiment that controls for all factors.

The world, may never know. :lol:
#15038718
Pants-of-dog wrote:Men dream about rape.

Men are biologically suited for it, so they should be number one in that stat, according to you.

I have never ever had a dream about rape. Most men do not long for rape. Your bad code is starting to show.

Are you like Alexa? Do you have gender? Maybe you were programmed to be an SJW. The Rpe culture theme is common among SJWs.

@Finfinder So you cannot show how what I said[…]

Ukrainegate

I agree there are loads more to come and they a[…]

"The Nobel prize in economics was awarded to […]

The IFBB came up with it as a penalty for using st[…]