What does it mean to be a modern? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All sociological topics not appropriate or suited to other areas of the board.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
As in the exist within modernity?
One impression I’ve seen raised is how to the ancients and those that precede modernity, there is a smaller scale in which ones place with an order is more settled.
Whereas modernity there is the sense of detachment and distance such that we individually get to choose among all sorts of different beliefs and ways of life.
Of course such diversity is strictly within the coordinates of capitalist reproduction and the condition of pursuing individual desires as opposed to the in incommensurate or impossible consensus of the collective.

I also see a point of emphasizing our mora sense as a temporal one of being the progress upon the backwardness of the past. We are the peak of human culture and development against the superstitious overly hierarchical premoderns. Such a view is difficult to escape having grown up in the present.

What's your take?
I think also my sense of being a modern person is my thorough lack of connection to religion and a way of life corresponding to it. It has been largely absent in my life such that my wofe makes fun of me for not being able to even get jokes based in such knowledge. It is simply alien to me.
But yet I to still had to find purpose/meaning greater than consumption of objects. Hence my tendency for a naturalist humanism, to make humans primary although bot in Fuerbachs way of making man divine but that all that is worthwhile is based in relation to human life. It cannot be otherwise for me. And whilst people concieve of man independent reality such that reality is meaninglessness, we necessarily create the conditions for meaning within certain ways of life with certain values. One cannot go through life alseep but ask what one wants out of it. Not that i want for much but it must at least have a sense of being a good life objectively rather than merely in temporary states of pleasure. To be a good person somehow in the many predicaments of life one is confronted with.
I cannot see my place clearly among many other ways of life. I simply cannot conceive of other ways of living except in the modt abstract of details.

Do I really understand the relations which change the character of an object to that of communal property or even one as a prized family possession passed on for generations and not simply as a commodity chosen to be retained.

Any of you going to buy the Trump bible he's prom[…]

No, it doesn't. The US also wants to see Hamas top[…]

Israel removed 10,000 Israeli families from Gaz[…]

The Donbas fortifications have been incredibly su[…]