Polygamist at McDonald’s - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All sociological topics not appropriate or suited to other areas of the board.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Back in early 2010, I stopped at McDonald’s for breakfast. As I enjoyed my meal while reading a newspaper, an elderly couple sat down in the next booth. The husband plugged a laptop computer into a wall socket then apologized in advance: “I hope we aren’t disturbing you. We’re using McDonald’s as our motel.”

I replied, “No problem. So long as you don’t do anything that prompts me to say, ‘Get a room.’” They laughed.

The man explained that they had just driven up from their polygamy compound in Mexico. He complained that the media distorted their lifestyle. He said the group was living in Mexico in anticipation of the collapse of the United States and its invasion by China and Russia.

I asked him if he was concerned about setting up shop in a possible failed state, considering the drug war violence. His attitude toward the gangs: Live and let live. Except, he noted, a nephew had been killed by gang members because he refused to let them use his private plane to smuggle drugs. Oh.

At this point, the wife excused herself and returned to their van. I guess she had heard all this before.

Polygamists may be ahead of their time. Polygamy was popular after the Civil War when the shortage of men made it socially and economically reasonable for women to share a husband. As political rhetoric becomes increasingly vile and violent, we may be entering another period when the male population will be in serious decline due to a new civil war.

Such a sexual imbalance had been previously anticipated:

General “Buck” Turgidson: Doctor, you mentioned the ratio of ten women to each man. Now, wouldn't that necessitate the abandonment of the so-called monogamous sexual relationship, I mean, as far as men were concerned?

Dr. Strangelove: Regrettably, yes. But it is, you know, a sacrifice required for the future of the human race. I hasten to add that since each man will be required to do prodigious . . . service along these lines, the women will have to be selected for their sexual characteristics which will have to be of a highly stimulating nature.

The link and quote has been posted. As well as l[…]

Nobody is trying to distract from the humanitarian[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Again: nope. Putin in Feb 2022 only decided ... […]

Helping Ukraine to defeat the Russian invasion an[…]