Originator of Social Change - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All sociological topics not appropriate or suited to other areas of the board.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Wellsy
Where does social change come from? Is it ultimately top down in it's start or bottom-up?

I have the impression that many depict history as the action solely of leaders and people in power or government but seem to foreclose why they would be propelled to act as they did, basically, there is a lack of context. It seems to fragment history where things seem to emerge from nowhere almost. Just, someone had an idea and was in the right position to enact it and make it law. Which also seems to contradict the sense that as influential as the government can be in implementing something, it does not directly control cultural/social change and can be quite facile towards certain things.
My impression is that the view of some town down the implementation of social change simply obscures it's bottom-up basis, where even a representative is a figure among masses of a social movement, a clearly identifiable social subject (not an individual person but a mass organized around a purpose).
https://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/works/note.htm
[QYOTE]Ad. 1 When I wrote this book I was unaware that there was any academic literature on the topic of the origins of collective decision making, only hearsay among anarchist writers. Subsequently, I learnt that there is an academic literature on Majority voting but I had never come across it because it never went to the places that I explored.

Academic treatment of Majority decision making goes as follows: a description of practices in ancient Greece and the commentary of Plato, Aristotle, etc., skip a couple of centuries to ancient Rome, a quote or two from Pliny or whoever, skip a millennium to decisions of the medieval Vatican, then skip half a millennium to eighteenth century France and the science proper begins with Rousseau, Condorcet, Pufendorf, etc., as well as Englishmen like Hobbes and Locke.

The material about the ancient world is interesting in itself, but I never went there because my real topic was collective decision making practices in the contemporary world and there was no thread of practical collaboration connecting the political practices of the classical world to our own. As is well known, the line of transmission of classical culture to early modern Europe passed through the Islamic world and the sole vehicle was text, not practice, and political practices are not acquired by masses of people reading manuscripts.

But at the time Pufendorf and Condorcet discussed voting, they are reflecting on an established practice, and they have neither the knowledge of nor an interest in the origins of that practice which ordinary people had been engaged in (it turns out) for about 800 years. As a result of adopting these Enlightenment philosophers as the founders of the theory of voting, a belief grew up that voting was invented by philosophers and passed down from the top by governments. Others who believed that the British House of Commons had invented voting arrived at similar conclusions.

But this idea that voting is a gift handed down from the top to the people fundamentally distorts the nature of Majority decision making, which was invented by merchants, artisans and others excluded from the protection of the state under feudal law governed by blood and soil. That is to say, voting was invented by the excluded, at the very bottom and pressed upward until universal suffrage was achieved in the twentieth century.[/QUOTE]
https://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/pdfs/rawls.pdf
Clearly the Abolitionists and Civil Rights activists resorted to illiberal means and Rawls cannot bend his conception of liberalism to include the use of illiberal means ‒ civil war, non-violent resistance, boycotts, intolerance towards slavery and racism ‒ to overthrow the dominant consensus and institutionalise a new conception of Right. Liberalism is simply a description of a mode of compromise within an established way of life. The fact is that a new consensus was not established through reasoned argument; reasoned argument came into play only once the goal posts had already been moved. In our times, dynamic justice is the norm. That is, it is generally recognised that the series of new claims to recognition and established social practices which will be called into question is indefinite. Rawls’ liberalism solves nothing in this respect.

Rawls regards the social life in which such new challenges originate as simply a “background culture.”. But the crises arising in this culture are to be resolved, not within the community where the crises have originated, but in the domain of thought experiments. These thought experiments are a representation of the constitutional, legislative and judicial superstructure characteristic of modern bourgeois nations.

This superstructure is not and has never been the location of struggles to expand the domain of human rights and deepen the conception of good. This social and cultural advance has its origins in resistance and struggle, and its entry into the judicial and legislative domain is only a signal that the struggle has broken through to the extent of challenging for institutionalisation.
It would appear that it is reasonable for you to ask me to accept private ownership but unreasonable for me to ask you to accept common ownership. The interests of rich and poor can be mediated in the liberal manner; the poor remain poor and the rich rich of course, but rich and poor can treat each other and free and equal persons and can reach a modus vivendi. Social safety nets, public health and education can all moderate the extremes of capitalism and so long as the liberals can hold sway in the capitalist camp all these things are possible to the extent that those who suffer are prepared to engage in the very illiberal struggle against the ills of capitalism. But that is the point.

Rawls’ political liberalism does not answer any of the substantial questions of justice in bourgeois society; it simply advises that when someone comes forward with a legitimate claim and is capable of bringing its opponents to the negotiating table, then it should be dealt with reasonably.

Once the claim has been institutionalised, then its recognition becomes part of reasonable common sense and public reason. Insofar as Rawls’ political liberalism lacks any substantive content, it is reasonable; in respect of any real problems of justice in the modern world, it has no substantive content.
...all emancipatory struggles are illiberal.

It seems to me that the sentiment that sees the top-down approach to change is conservative at best and reactionary at worst as it seems to think social changes occur not through struggle and fighting, but through benevolence of leaders. Illiberal struggle contradicts the sentiment of consensus or compromise for there is no universal good, only different goals and interests of many. Even while liberalism itself was born from violent means, you see the contradiction of those who speak ill of the revolutionaries who are responsible for it's existence.
ckaihatsu wrote:Does Andy Blunden know that you're his #1 fan -- ?

= D

:lol:
I did email him once expression appreciation of his summaries of thinkers such as Hegel, Marx, Vygotsky, and Ilyenkov.
I find his background in these thinkers to have been very helpful in getting a nuanced sense of Marxism that hopefully isn't a crude dogmatic sort but emphasizes certain methodological concepts which helps me distinguish someone whose learned a few new words as opposed to someone more immersed in Marxism.
Wellsy wrote:
:lol:
I did email him once expression appreciation of his summaries of thinkers such as Hegel, Marx, Vygotsky, and Ilyenkov.
I find his background in these thinkers to have been very helpful in getting a nuanced sense of Marxism that hopefully isn't a crude dogmatic sort but emphasizes certain methodological concepts which helps me distinguish someone whose learned a few new words as opposed to someone more immersed in Marxism.

That's cool.

I do appreciate your rundowns, from the 'Marxism' thread, and I said as much over there.

I just hope you're not too hung-up on 'epistemology', as I've seen happen to others -- the realm of politics is its own place, of course, which is reported on by journalism and becomes 'internally corroborative', so-to-speak, unlike daily *personal* life with its myriad unique social events.

Take care.

‭History, Macro-Micro -- politics-logistics-lifestyle

Spoiler: show
I'd guess it is a feedback loop. A leader will go in a slightly different direction and the approval of society will encourage more experimentation, and so on. Like surfing, you must stay ahead of the wave but ensure it is right behind you.
ckaihatsu wrote:That's cool.

I do appreciate your rundowns, from the 'Marxism' thread, and I said as much over there.

I just hope you're not too hung-up on 'epistemology', as I've seen happen to others -- the realm of politics is its own place, of course, which is reported on by journalism and becomes 'internally corroborative', so-to-speak, unlike daily *personal* life with its myriad unique social events.

Take care.

I probably do have an affinity for it as an epistemological venture but only to the extent that it does clarify some thinking routes and errors. See the outlines of where some ways of thinking are perhaps in error because I have developed a broad framework which can approximate why someone might end up with a certain conclusion. Basically familiarizing myself with what are common obstacles or problems in thinking in some subjects.

alang1216 wrote:I'd guess it is a feedback loop. A leader will go in a slightly different direction and the approval of society will encourage more experimentation, and so on. Like surfing, you must stay ahead of the wave but ensure it is right behind you.

Yes we could go down a causal route but causality only goes so far.
https://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/works/determinism.htm
Hegel showed that causality is extremely limited in its explanatory capacity, because the invocation of causation leads to an infinite regress. Efficient causes are always of interest, but a phenomenon is only understood when it is grasped as a cause of itself (a causa sui), that is, the relevant process is seen to create and recreate the conditions for its own existence. But even then, explanation often takes the form of Reciprocity of cause and effect. Hegel (1831) grants that “to make the manners of the Spartans the cause of their constitution and their constitution conversely the cause of their manners, may no doubt be in a way correct,” but still explains nothing. But Reciprocity is as far as Causality can go. The understanding of a process as a cause sui means grasping it as a concept and usually incorporates an investigation of its origins and development.

Not that a causal approach is without value as discerning some of the important components which have a continuous relationship to one another is a necessary part of understanding something.

However, I tend to emphasize that many leaders can only follow the crowds in civil society and this is most clear in cases where no matter how progressive a leaders ideas, they never get off the ground unless they have enough support from the people. The idea being that it is groups of people coming together around certain problems and ideas on a way of life that come to influence things.
https://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/pdfs/On%20Political%20Representation.pdf
During 50 years over which I have voted in elections my vote has never made a difference; that is, I have never voted in an election with a margin of zero or one. But in most elections I have handed out material, donated money and argued with friends and colleagues in favour of a vote for one or another candidate and I maintain my membership of the Australian Greens and do what little I can to support them. Although I could only make a difference thanks to the existence of elections, it is these informal processes that achieve meaningful representation. Even in those countries where there are no elections, and informal processes of representation are the only ones available, informal processes change government policies and even bring down governments. It is for these reasons that it is possible to talk of the government representing the nation despite the fact that the electoral process produces governments in a chaotic and more or less accidental, mechanical process. It remains a fact that if you can change public opinion on a question, the elected politicians will eventually have to fall into line.

It is struggling to change public opinion, change the government and government policies which transforms a group of people merely having something in common into a project, that is, into a selfdetermining subject. It is not that first there is a subject, the people, and then this subject represents itself in the personality of the leader. On the contrary, it is the struggle over representation in the government which makes the people into a subject and continuously remakes that subjectivity. Immediately, the struggle over representation transforms various groups of people into a variety of conflicting projects, but however much they loathe each other, by the fact of participating in Parliament, they collaborate and through that collaboration give whatever reality there is to the representativeness of the Parliament and its leaders.

A nation is a collaborative project (Blunden 2014) in which a diverse range of projects – political, cultural, scientific or utterly mundane – collaborate in forming a government whilst pursuing their own ends.
Politicians would often make better decisions if they never had to get re-elected, but that is not the point. Good decisions have first to be made by the great majority of the people, together, after which then getting the politicians to adopt those policies usually follows. Elections and the lousy politicians they produce are not the problem at the moment – it is the quality public discourse which is the underlying problem needing to be fixed, and elected politicians are in no position to help.

Advocates of ‘citizen juries’ have convincingly shown that a randomly chosen group of citizens, if given time and the same kind of expert advice given to elected politicians, generate better decisions than career politicians or even social movement activists. But the suggestion following from this that election of governments should be replaced by such randomly chosen focus groups is premature. Politicians are tasked not just with devising good policies, they are the mediating link in the process whereby the people govern themselves. It is a sorry reflection on our political process that the electorate is incapable of forming themselves into a coherent whole around a sensible social and political program. But that problem needs to be tackled at source rather than bypassed by random selection of legislators.
Unthinking Majority wrote:
There's lots of reasons. Demographic change, economics, communication technology, education etc.

Sometimes its top-down, sometimes bottom up.

Absolutely, but the Renaissance, which got the ball rolling, happened because capitalism evolved in Italy, at that time.
Wellsy wrote:

Hegel showed that causality is extremely limited in its explanatory capacity, because the invocation of causation leads to an infinite regress. Efficient causes are always of interest, but a phenomenon is only understood when it is grasped as a cause of itself (a causa sui), that is, the relevant process is seen to create and recreate the conditions for its own existence. But even then, explanation often takes the form of Reciprocity of cause and effect. Hegel (1831) grants that “to make the manners of the Spartans the cause of their constitution and their constitution conversely the cause of their manners, may no doubt be in a way correct,” but still explains nothing. But Reciprocity is as far as Causality can go. The understanding of a process as a cause sui means grasping it as a concept and usually incorporates an investigation of its origins and development.

Wellsy wrote:
Not that a causal approach is without value as discerning some of the important components which have a continuous relationship to one another is a necessary part of understanding something.

This concept is popularly known as a 'feedback loop':

Cybernetics is a transdisciplinary[1] approach for exploring regulatory and purposive systems—their structures, constraints, and possibilities. The core concept of the discipline is circular causality or feedback—that is, where the outcomes of actions are taken as inputs for further action. Cybernetics is concerned with such processes however they are embodied,[2] including in environmental, technological, biological, cognitive, and social systems, and in the context of practical activities such as designing, learning, managing, and conversation.

Cybernetics has its origins in the intersection of the fields of control systems, electrical network theory, mechanical engineering, logic modeling, fuzzy logic, evolutionary biology, neuroscience, anthropology, and psychology in the 1940s, often attributed to the Macy Conferences. Since then, cybernetics has become even broader in scope to include work in domains such as design,[3] family therapy, management and organisation, pedagogy, sociology, and the creative arts.[4] At the same time, questions arising from circular causality have been explored in relation to the philosophy of science, ethics, and constructivist approaches. Contemporary cybernetics thus varies widely in scope and focus, with cyberneticians variously adopting and combining technical, scientific, philosophical, creative, and critical approaches.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybernetics
Unthinking Majority wrote:
There's lots of reasons. Demographic change, economics, communication technology, education etc.

Sometimes its top-down, sometimes bottom up.

Top-down and bottom-up, huh -- ?

[1] History, Macro Micro -- Precision

Wellsy wrote:Academic treatment of Majority decision making goes as follows: a description of practices in ancient Greece and the commentary of Plato, Aristotle, etc., skip a couple of centuries to ancient Rome, a quote or two from Pliny or whoever, skip a millennium to decisions of the medieval Vatican, then skip half a millennium to eighteenth century France and the science proper begins with Rousseau, Condorcet, Pufendorf, etc., as well as Englishmen like Hobbes and Locke.

As far as I can tell it is on vogue nowadays to downplay the importance of ideas in political development.

Wellsy wrote:The material about the ancient world is interesting in itself, but I never went there because my real topic was collective decision making practices in the contemporary world and there was no thread of practical collaboration connecting the political practices of the classical world to our own. As is well known, the line of transmission of classical culture to early modern Europe passed through the Islamic world and the sole vehicle was text, not practice, and political practices are not acquired by masses of people reading manuscripts.

"As is well known"? Isn't that entirely debunked by now? Classical culture was never lost. The Roman empire didn't fall, it was transformed. Into the church for example (in the West).

Wellsy wrote:But this idea that voting is a gift handed down from the top to the people fundamentally distorts the nature of Majority decision making, which was invented by merchants, artisans and others excluded from the protection of the state under feudal law governed by blood and soil. That is to say, voting was invented by the excluded, at the very bottom and pressed upward until universal suffrage was achieved in the twentieth century.

It seems to me that the sentiment that sees the top-down approach to change is conservative at best and reactionary at worst as it seems to think social changes occur not through struggle and fighting, but through benevolence of leaders. Illiberal struggle contradicts the sentiment of consensus or compromise for there is no universal good, only different goals and interests of many. Even while liberalism itself was born from violent means, you see the contradiction of those who speak ill of the revolutionaries who are responsible for it's existence.

I don't think "ordinary people" every came up with a democratic constitution, but people usually have to throw their weight behind a constitution in order for it to happen. Depends on what weight they have I guess.
Rugoz wrote:
1) As far as I can tell it is on vogue nowadays to downplay the importance of ideas in political development.

2) "As is well known"? Isn't that entirely debunked by now? Classical culture was never lost. The Roman empire didn't fall, it was transformed. Into the church for example (in the West).

3) I don't think "ordinary people" ever came up with a democratic constitution, but people usually have to throw their weight behind a constitution in order for it to happen. Depends on what weight they have I guess.

1) Hardly. Things like economics were enablers, without all that money, no Renaissance... That would put a damper on subsequent thinking, like the Enlightenment.

2) Kind of, sort of.. Europe lost a lot of things. They were able to get a lot of it back, but it wasn't easy. A lot of that happened in an Arabic style courtyard in Spain were Jewish scholars translated Arabic texts, usually into Latin. It's fallen out of fashion, but I still call the Dark Ages the Dark Ages..

3) We're getting into the evolution of the Modern World here, you need both, top down, and bottom up.
late wrote:1) Hardly. Things like economics were enablers, without all that money, no Renaissance... That would put a damper on subsequent thinking, like the Enlightenment.

Just saying that popular books nowadays, such as Fukuyama's The Origins of Political Order, emphasize other aspects.

It's an argument that makes sense. After all Western Europe wasn't distinct in its access to ancient texts and ideas, yet the Renaissance and later the Scientific Revolution happened there. Why? What was unique to Western Europe? The Catholic Church for example. Or the prevalence of more or less independent (free) cities.
late wrote:
3) We're getting into the evolution of the Modern World here, you need both, top down, and bottom up.

This is *roundly* debatable, since the 'top' has tended to be an *impediment* to the mass realization of equality in all things, from 'below'.

3-Dimensional Axes of Social Reality

late wrote:We're getting into the evolution of the Modern World here, you need both, top down, and bottom up.

Even if political institutions are very open to participation, you still need people who take the lead and organize things, and experts that inform policy making.
Rugoz wrote:
Even if political institutions are very open to participation, you still need people who take the lead and organize things, and experts that inform policy making.

I argue that the experts-that-inform-policy-making part could just be *this* kind of everyday discussion, on discussion boards like PoFo.

'Taking the lead' doesn't really *require* personages / leaders / etc., since things *could* be organized purely bottom-up:

consumption [demand] -- Every person in a locality has a standard, one-through-infinity ranking system of political demands available to them, updated daily

consumption [demand] -- Basic human needs will be assigned a higher political priority by individuals and will emerge as mass demands at the cumulative scale -- desires will benefit from political organizing efforts and coordination

communist supply & demand -- Model of Material Factors

https://web.archive.org/web/20201211050 ... ?p=2889338
ckaihatsu wrote:
This is *roundly* debatable, since the 'top' has tended to be an *impediment* to the mass realization of equality in all things, from 'below'.

3-Dimensional Axes of Social Reality

Unions, Women's Suffrage, Women's Rights, Civil Rights, Gay Rights, the EPA are all examples of bottom up...
Rugoz wrote:

As I said, you need both.
Rugoz wrote:
Just saying that popular books nowadays, such as Fukuyama's The Origins of Political Order, emphasize other aspects.

It's an argument that makes sense. After all Western Europe wasn't distinct in its access to ancient texts and ideas, yet the Renaissance and later the Scientific Revolution happened there. Why? What was unique to Western Europe? The Catholic Church for example. Or the prevalence of more or less independent (free) cities.

Have you read guns, germs, and steel?

https://www.amazon.com/Guns-Germs-Steel-Fates-Societies/dp/0393354326/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=guns+germs+and+steel&qid=1625251670&sr=8-1

@FiveofSwords You still haven't told us how yo[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

You just do not understand what politics is. Poli[…]

Are you aware that the only difference between yo[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I'm just free flowing thought here: I'm trying t[…]