What Makes You Feel Most 'Spiritual?' - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

An atheist-free area for those of religious belief to discuss religious topics.

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be discussed here or in The Agora. However, this forum is intended specifically as an area for those with religious belief to discuss religion without threads being derailed by atheist arguments. Please respect that. Political topics regarding religion belong in the Religion forum in the Political Issues section.
This thread is, of course, open to even people who identify as atheists but have a spiritual aspect to it. By spiritual, I mean when one feels the greatness of existence, and the greatness of the Universe, and how good it is to be a living creature. Naturally, this spirituality in a religious person often makes them feel the greatness of God at this point.

I assume that my answer will be similar to a lot of others, but I will try to elaborate and be specific about this experience more.

Like most people, I get a spiritual feeling from nature; specifically, I feel it most intensely when I am in or on a lake. I was born and grew up for a time on an island in Lake Minnetonka, and I have so many memories connected to this lake and the various other lakes of my youth. I really love the woodlands that tend to grow around the lake, and I really love the water, and being near it; I feel particularly spiritual when it is dark or the sun is setting and I am on the lake.

I get a similar feeling when I am in the mountains of Korea -- whether I am at the top or on some other little stretch of it, looking down at the vastness of nature and sometimes the massive city of Seoul below.

What is interesting is I always notice that even when you are with people, when you are up there or by the lake, or by any natural beauty, there will always come a giant, pregnant pause in the conversation. You are even silent with everyone else; everyone is contented and at peace, and you almost feel like you are connecting with some aspect of eternity there... You feel in that moments the bliss of of just being alive and there.

If you gave me a choice between having a TV or spending each evening by the lake, or up in the mountain, to just sit and be there for 20-30 minutes... Of course, this would win every time.

I would also like to say that I feel spirituality sometimes while viewing a great piece of art; sometimes, I feel a certain spirituality when I drink alcohol with my good friends or family, too, and there is just that calm (yet thrilling) euphoria of being with your 'pack' so to speak. But none of this quite fully matches those moments with nature.

I wonder if some of the higher primates or some of the larger animals with greater menal capacity, like elephants, dolphins or whales, have similar moments. I could even see and imagine that life as a dolphin or life as a whale or elephant on some level, being entirely in tune with nature and living off the land, could potentially even have a greater spiritual euphoria, and perhaps the continuous pulse of nature could be felt, and a mere... tranquility, thrilling tranquility, of Existing.

I think it also might even make sense that religion was not given in this form to the people until our societies developed because, likewise, it is perhaps true that the earliest humans and even the Neanderthals or Cro-Magnons or hominids, had a far more spiritual existence in union with nature. And I wouldn't be surprised to hear that if you were to win the trust and prove oneself to the isolated tribal people, while they might have some practices even we could recognize as savage... There would be some intriguing underlying spirituality to mere existence that they can feel and experience more than ourselves.

I guess that is why I understand atheists who do, in practice, some nature worship.
Disclaimer : I am an atheist

I find sufi music to be very spiritual, then in the realm of nature, violent rivers (I have in my mind Ganges in northern India just descending from Himalyas) can also create spiritual experience.
I am at the highest of spiritual ecstasy (or is it entasy?) when I assume a completely messianic personality, even if it is only for a few minutes. It is the culmination of many things: detachment, past mystical experiences, intellectualism, evolutionary history, sense of destiny. I have private fantasies of being the reincarnation of Christ and imagining myself in this role brings me closer to God than anything else (the Solar Heart becomes set aflame). But I am sensible enough to acknowledge that this is a very common phenomenon in the psychology of Western esotericism and it seems to suggest that Jesus himself was a charming mystic who marveled at his own spiritual intelligence. Besides, in most people and including myself, past incarnations usually unveil the memory of tragic failures that in your present lifetime have amounted to a bit of common sense. It is humbling.

On the other hand, esoteric development, whether it has the blessing of Heaven or not, engenders great elemental powers in the hands of a select few and subsequently there is on-going psychic warfare between Faustian and Christian magicians. There's a sort of underground and intrigue and it's like something out of a Dan Brown novel since it involves power politics and money. Happening upon this underworld as a novice can be extremely distressing and you quickly learn that the Holy Guardian Angel, descending into the circumference of your psychic life, is the deciding factor of one's perseverance over the sorcerers of Atlantis.

The triumph of the five wounds of Christ over the five currents of Nature.
I think it also might even make sense that religion was not given in this form to the people until our societies developed because, likewise, it is perhaps true that the earliest humans and even the Neanderthals or Cro-Magnons or hominids, had a far more spiritual existence in union with nature.

As Lao Tzu might have said, as soon as religion is created, spirituality is at an end. Likewise, as soon as laws are created, virtue is at an end.
I'm an agnostic that leans towards animism from time to time. What makes me feel spiritual is ingesting plant ally psychedelics. Also, smoking mapacho tobacco.

These activities (as well as music and meditation) get me into a trance state "feeling spiritual."

Some of the etymology for 'trance' is pretty interesting:

from the Latin transīre "to cross", "pass over".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trance#Etymology

A lot of animist indigenous peoples believe that the trance state (induced by various methods depending on tribal traditions) allows people to cross over into the spirit world.
- Being in a deeply meditative state

- Nature. The absence of manmade noise and objects, the smell of sweetgrass or pines, evening and nighttime thunderstorms, the sky (especially the Northern Lights), being in heavy snowfall that's coming sraight down (it's comforting yet slightly disorienting)       

- Love

- Hand engraving. For it's almost zen-like. I assume most other art forms can produce a similar sensation.

-Listening to old Osage I'n-Lo'n-Schka and Ponca He-thu-Ska "war dance" songs.      
- Sanctuaries with candles and incense burning

- Great cathedrals and temples

- Prayer, meditation, and ritual

- Contemplating divine mysteries

- Learning about the world's different wisdom traditions

- Sacred music and art

- Forests, mountains, and lakes (I thought I'd be more specific than just "nature")

- Looking up at the stars (while away from city lights)

- Making love (as opposed to just fucking)

- Moments of great insight and creativity

- Being completely open and vulnerable with someone I care about

- Psychedelics
Smoking crack with illegal immigrants in some decaying industrial place while knowing there's nothing left to eat would do the trick for me i guess
Donald, PoFo's Wisdom Wizard wrote:I am at the highest of spiritual ecstasy (or is it entasy?) when I assume a completely messianic personality, even if it is only for a few minutes. It is the culmination of many things: detachment, past mystical experiences, intellectualism, evolutionary history, sense of destiny.

mikema63 wrote:Contemplating the vastness and complexity of life and the universe.

Agreed, I agree, damn it, I agree.

Some sense of knowing, a sense that seems to make the chaos whimsical and controllable. As if I need not worry, because this gird of energy will keep pulsing with or without me. Knowing that I am only one of many miracles and enigmatic absurdities.

I may apply an objective viewpoint while observing humans, acting as if I, for the very first time, can wonder... WHY? Why does man "X," How does man "X," who is man? Removing myself from it all, I am an observer... Hoping to be an architect.

I mainly find spiritual comfort with holism as I reframe situations.

Telling myself that everything I know can one day be completely false, all invented by humans for humans, a bias viewpoint considered infallible. One self-proclaimed intelligent strain that decided to try and make sense of it all by organizing systems based upon knowledge which only humans verified.

Writing. A spiritual manifestation, a real chance for a living organic creature to participate in creation. Seeing thoughts manifest. Writing.

Other living creatures, they increase spiritual perception.

I'm not alone.

Music is incredible.

Oh and- Knowing that people on the other side of our earth are bustling bout while I rest my head on a pillow.

I am a Critical Existential Thinker.
RT, you and I should collaborate on a Great North American Lobster Walk, an event that celebrates psychic nomads with the physical transfer of live lobsters by foot from one location to the other.

Already I sense a merry pranksters revival.
Donald wrote:RT, you and I should collaborate on a Great North American Lobster Walk, an event that celebrates psychic nomads with the physical transfer of live lobsters by foot from one location to the other.

Already I sense a merry pranksters revival.

Sounds like an event worth partaking in.

Where do I sign up?

Can I meet you halfway, with my lobster?

Nerval's Lobster

I was born and grew up for a time on an island in Lake Minnetonka

This lake is lovely
Sure. Meeting half way is a compromise, which symbolizes centered-ness and chastity.

We don't want to hurt the lobsters. We just want people to imagine the crucified lobster in place of the Son of Man, a nail through each delicious claw.
Boomers (magic mushrooms). They showed me the liquidity of the universe and mankind. I saw the evolution of life flashing before my eyes and had tears (neither happy nor sad) streaming down my face for what felt like hours. Or maybe there were no tears and I was just imagining it.

Oh and being in nature promotes a lot of spirituality. Listening to the trees and wind and earth talk to you is awesome.

Ethopian edit: There is no God(s) only the universe.
Americanroyalty wrote:Boomers (magic mushrooms). They showed me the liquidity of the universe and mankind. I saw the evolution of life flashing before my eyes and had tears (neither happy nor sad) streaming down my face for what felt like hours. Or maybe there were no tears and I was just imagining it.

Oh and being in nature promotes a lot of spirituality. Listening to the trees and wind and earth talk to you is awesome.

Ethopian edit: There is no God(s) only the universe.

Who created the universe, it can't just be there just cause

@FiveofSwords Doesn't this 'ethnogenesis' mala[…]

Britain: Deliberately imports laborers from around[…]

There's nothing more progressive than supporting b[…]

A man from Oklahoma (United States) who travelled […]