How BIG Is God? - Page 11 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

An atheist-free area for those of religious belief to discuss religious topics.

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be discussed here or in The Agora. However, this forum is intended specifically as an area for those with religious belief to discuss religion without threads being derailed by atheist arguments. Please respect that. Political topics regarding religion belong in the Religion forum in the Political Issues section.
User avatar
By Hindsite
#14803429
ingliz wrote:@Hindsite


In plain language, the theology of hope (death) makes eschatology (death, and what happens after death) its central governing concept; all other teachings revolve around it. Hence the obsessive wishing for the End of Days, seeing signs and portents everywhere, interpreting the bible as if Revelation was the only book in the Bible, etc.

It would explain your very odd reading of the NT. And, why, when the verses you cited clearly refer to a world that is to continue under the dominion of the Church, you chose to rely on a copyist's interpolation to carry your argument.

Are you living in 'hope'?

:eh:

I do not have an odd reading of the New Testament. I have the main stream Christian viewpoint on the matters that I related to you. Just because some claim there were copyist's interpolation does not mean it is true. It may mean they are false prophets or teachers.
User avatar
By quetzalcoatl
#14803497
Hindsite wrote:
Deep down everyone believes in the existence of God


Indeed. The human mind is predisposed to think of causes in terms of personalities, rather than impersonal forces. Our ancestors believed that gods caused the thunder, or that diseases or bad fortune were caused by the invocation of baleful spirits.

We are hardwired to view the world in terms of the interactions of personalities - and the ultimate distillation of this process is One God. The old thinking still holds us in its grasp, however. Personalities like angels, demons litter the landscape. Milton populated an entire universe with them.

As a species we can't really escape this burden. God will always be in our minds.
User avatar
By ingliz
#14803613
main stream Christian viewpoint

A main stream [sic] biblical fundamentalism, perhaps. Such views - anti-science biblical literalism, biblical inerrancy, and feverishly apocalyptic speculation about the end times - are seen as absurdly archaic curiosities in mainstream Protestant and Catholic Churches.


:lol:

Reason for edits: fine-tuning my contempt and italicising [sic]
Last edited by ingliz on 09 May 2017 18:28, edited 7 times in total.
User avatar
By Godstud
#14803616
Hindsite wrote:Deep down everyone believes in the existence of God
Arrogance on your part to tell others what they believe in. Arrogance and pride seem to be typical Christian values.
User avatar
By Hindsite
#14803863
ingliz wrote:A main stream [sic] biblical fundamentalism, perhaps. Such views - anti-science biblical literalism, biblical inerrancy, and feverishly apocalyptic speculation about the end times - are seen as absurdly archaic curiosities in mainstream Protestant and Catholic Churches.
:lol:
Reason for edits: fine-tuning my contempt and italicising [sic]

So you say you are contemptuous. That explains your crazy allegations.
Godstud wrote: Arrogance on your part to tell others what they believe in. Arrogance and pride seem to be typical Christian values.

Your arrogance and pride exceed any that I might have by your claim to know typical Christian values.
Atheists and unbelievers do not qualify to be authorities on typical Christian values.

Praise the Lord.
HalleluYah
User avatar
By Godstud
#14803869
Arrogance? How so? I do not claim to know if there is a god, or gods, or not. In fact I put them purely in the "Can't prove" category.

I am not telling you what to believe in, either. I am merely telling you that your beliefs do not overcome reality, and facts that we can test, and prove.

I sometimes go over-the-top, just to mimic your reactionary, and intolerant, views.

I WAS a raised a Christian, and was one for about 35 years, so I am more than qualified to comment on Christianity. You, however, are not fit to judge atheists, I think, for that very same reason.

Your "Christian values" are nothing special. They are not simply values that Christians believe. Compassion, forgiveness, mercy, empathy, etc. are values common to most, if not all religions, and societies, regardless of whether religion is present, or not. Or, are you going to tell me about some Christian values that society doesn't use?

Lying, being unfaithful to your spouse, killing, stealing, etc. are rules that most societies have. They don't need to be "Christian" to have them, as well.
User avatar
By Hindsite
#14803898
Godstud wrote:Arrogance? How so? I do not claim to know if there is a god, or gods, or not. In fact I put them purely in the "Can't prove" category.

I am not telling you what to believe in, either. I am merely telling you that your beliefs do not overcome reality, and facts that we can test, and prove.

I sometimes go over-the-top, just to mimic your reactionary, and intolerant, views.

I WAS a raised a Christian, and was one for about 35 years, so I am more than qualified to comment on Christianity. You, however, are not fit to judge atheists, I think, for that very same reason.

Your "Christian values" are nothing special. They are not simply values that Christians believe. Compassion, forgiveness, mercy, empathy, etc. are values common to most, if not all religions, and societies, regardless of whether religion is present, or not. Or, are you going to tell me about some Christian values that society doesn't use?

Lying, being unfaithful to your spouse, killing, stealing, etc. are rules that most societies have. They don't need to be "Christian" to have them, as well.

I have been married to only one woman for 50 years and have never cheated with another woman on my wife. That is a Christian value. Can you say you have adhered to that value as an unbeliever?

I consider it arrogance to claim there is no proof of God, when the proof is all around you and in you.

Do you value the life of all unborn babies in their mothers womb? That is a Christian value that many do not seem to have today.
User avatar
By Godstud
#14803907
I have been married for 5 years. This is my first marriage. I have never, in my life, been unfaithful to the person I have chosen to be with, even when not married. I have no plans to break trust and be unfaithful to my wife. Yes, it's not a purely Christian value.

Buddhism has 5 precepts, and Buddhism pre-dates, Christianity by a good 500 years(The year is 2560 by the Buddhist calendar).
1. I undertake the training rule to abstain from killing.
2. I undertake the training rule to abstain from taking what is not given. (Including misappropriating someone's property)
3. I undertake the training rule to avoid sexual misconduct. (e.g. sexual contact not sanctioned by secular laws, the Buddhist monastic code, or by one's parents and guardians)
4. I undertake the training rule to abstain from false speech. (Also includes pretending to know something one doesn't)
5. I undertake the training rule to abstain from fermented drink that causes heedlessness.


So, those non-Christian values seem to be common-place, even in a place where Christianity is not.

Claiming there is no god is not arrogance. There is no evidence to support a god, so claiming it's not there is simple logic. Were evidence to appear, I would have to re-assess this. Claiming there IS a god, however, and call a single book "evidence", is foolish, at best.

Hindsite wrote:Do you value the life of all unborn babies in their mothers womb?
My views on abortion are irrelevant. I know Christians who have gotten abortions. I have not, nor would I suggest abortion. We have birth control for a reason. People should use that, if they don't want children.

Absence of Christian values does not mean absence of principles and morality. That's a common delusion held by evangelicals lacking intellect.
By Besoeker
#14803924
Hindsite wrote:I have been married to only one woman for 50 years and have never cheated with another woman on my wife. That is a Christian value. Can you say you have adhered to that value as an unbeliever?

I consider it arrogance to claim there is no proof of God, when the proof is all around you and in you.

Do you value the life of all unborn babies in their mothers womb? That is a Christian value that many do not seem to have today.

Several points.
Being faithful to your wife is a matter of ethics, not religion.

Proof of your god is not all around us. Were it so, you ought to have no difficulty in citing proof. Incontrovertible, repeatable, testable evidence even. But ,so far, all you have presented are overly dramatised vacuous videos.

The child in the womb has no religious beliefs. Thus he/she is an atheist and born as such. Religion is man made and taught. Where one is born is a matter of geographical location and largely determins what flavour of religion is preached/indoctrinated.
User avatar
By Hindsite
#14803942
Besoeker wrote:Several points.
Being faithful to your wife is a matter of ethics, not religion.

Proof of your god is not all around us. Were it so, you ought to have no difficulty in citing proof. Incontrovertible, repeatable, testable evidence even. But ,so far, all you have presented are overly dramatised vacuous videos.

The child in the womb has no religious beliefs. Thus he/she is an atheist and born as such. Religion is man made and taught. Where one is born is a matter of geographical location and largely determins what flavour of religion is preached/indoctrinated.

There is no point in me responding to your questions, because you can't understand anything anyway if you got that from what I wrote.
User avatar
By ingliz
#14803950
That explains your crazy allegations.

I may think your beliefs are crazy but that doesn't give you an easy out. Your beliefs are crazy.

a real Christian Church... [a] main stream Christian viewpoint

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."

Pope John Paul II

J. L. Heilbron, Professor of History and Vice-Chancellor Emeritus at the University of California, Berkeley, etc, etc, Annual Invitation Lecture to the Scientific Instrument Society, Royal Institution, London, December 6, I995 wrote:The Roman Catholic Church gave more financial aid and social support to the study of astronomy over six centuries, from the recovery of ancient learning during the late Middle Ages into the Enlightenment, than any other, and probably, all other institutions.

The scientist credited with proposing in the 1930s what came to be known as the "Big Bang theory" of the origin of the universe was Georges Lemaitre, a Belgian physicist and Roman Catholic priest.
By Besoeker
#14803953
Hindsite wrote:There is no point in me responding to your questions, because you can't understand anything anyway if you got that from what I wrote.

What I wrote were statements of fact, not questions.
Respond or not as you see fit.
User avatar
By Hindsite
#14804165
ingliz wrote:I may think your beliefs are crazy but that doesn't give you an easy out. Your beliefs are crazy.

Your statement is false.

ingliz wrote:"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."

Pope John Paul II

I agree with that statement by the Pope.

ingliz wrote:The scientist credited with proposing in the 1930s what came to be known as the "Big Bang theory" of the origin of the universe was Georges Lemaitre, a Belgian physicist and Roman Catholic priest.

This proves that even a Belgian physicist and Roman Catholic priest can be wrong.

However, the Holy Bible, as originally written, can't be wrong, because it is inspired by God. Translations of the Holy Bible by men can be wrong, because not all translations are inspired by God.

Praise the Lord.
HalleluYah
User avatar
By Hindsite
#14804243
Besoeker wrote:We are all born as atheists. One day you might understand that.

Wrong.
We are born as agnostics.

Praise the Lord.
HalleluYah
User avatar
By Godstud
#14804244
We don't believe in a god until some asshole tells us to. It's learned, like other stupid shit like racism and hatred.
User avatar
By Hindsite
#14804258
Godstud wrote:We don't believe in a god until some asshole tells us to. It's learned, like other stupid shit like racism and hatred.

They don't believe that God does not exist until they are indoctrinated by that propaganda of the doctrines of demons, like Evil-lution.

Praise the Lord.
HalleluYah
User avatar
By Godstud
#14804261
Go back to the Middle Ages. That's where you belong with your hatred of science. Maybe the Inquisition's more your "style".
User avatar
By Hindsite
#14804264
Godstud wrote:Go back to the Middle Ages. That's where you belong with your hatred of science. Maybe the Inquisition's more your "style".

I do not hate science for that is real knowledge, however EVil-lution over billions of years is not science, but a doctrine of demons.







Praise the Lord.
HalleluYah
  • 1
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
The Two Forms of Socialism

AeroSeeder drone designed to speed the seeding of […]

Who is Kamala Harris?

Any answer other than "establishment neoliber[…]

Blast in Beirut, Lebanon

@QatzelOk If we ran by the traditionally recogn[…]

Right. And I should believe you instead. There's[…]