Why Have Evangelicals Failed To Overcome Racism? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

An atheist-free area for those of religious belief to discuss religious topics.

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be discussed here or in The Agora. However, this forum is intended specifically as an area for those with religious belief to discuss religion without threads being derailed by atheist arguments. Please respect that. Political topics regarding religion belong in the Religion forum in the Political Issues section.
Why have the evangelicals failed to overcome racism? They have had hundreds of years to do so. The arguments were there for centuries. What is the explanation for a failure to deal with racism in many churches--not just the Evangelical Christian churches but also with the Mormons among others?

Why do so many proclaim love of Christ but never lead Christian lives and love all people and want dignity and respect and equality in the eyes of God with all the people? Why live with such horrible contradictions between their spiritual aspirations and their actual prejudices and hatreds and failures? They sin they say. But isn't it important to stop sinning the same sin and do something that actually changes their behavior for the better?
Fasces wrote:Mormon Bible literally says black and dark skin is a sign of a curse from God, so they have a bit of a handicap. Look up the "Curse of Ham" and "Curse of Cain" and the parable of the Laminites.

I know. I lived in Ogden Utah and visited Utah for a long time. I am familiar with the racism in the Mormon church. They have a lot of history that is really terrible.
Were these churches primarily based in the south?
There seems to have been a lot of social reform with The Second Great Awakening tying activism with religion. And some of the wildest activists were in the Quakers or some kind of puritanism.

John Brown himself was a kind of radical evangelical christian. It seems that the civil war and slavery was itself a schism in many religious denominations.
And I think the mormons have a weird history in particular because the founder was against slavery I believe as was his son, but one if the first to carry it on, one of the followers was definitely not an abolitionist and it created some splinter groups like the community of christ.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_of_Christ

To me it seemed that there are material and social conditions dictating peoples beliefs in large part. But certain faiths in their particulars seemed better able to move into progressive causes. But it seems a matter of emphasis where the likes of Brown and others speak of a kind of human equality based on one’s soul under God.
Wellsy wrote:Were these churches primarily based in the south?
There seems to have been a lot of social reform with The Second Great Awakening tying activism with religion. And some of the wildest activists were in the Quakers or some kind of puritanism.

John Brown himself was a kind of radical evangelical christian. It seems that the civil war and slavery was itself a schism in many religious denominations.
And I think the mormons have a weird history in particular because the founder was against slavery I believe as was his son, but one if the first to carry it on, one of the followers was definitely not an abolitionist and it created some splinter groups like the community of christ.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_of_Christ

To me it seemed that there are material and social conditions dictating peoples beliefs in large part. But certain faiths in their particulars seemed better able to move into progressive causes. But it seems a matter of emphasis where the likes of Brown and others speak of a kind of human equality based on one’s soul under God.

It is all questionable. Especially the Mormon bible.

The Mormons had a lot of fake beliefs based on Joseph Smith and nothing to do with the Gospel according to the original Holy Bible from the Greek and Roman Catholic version of the Bible.
Tainari88 wrote:
Why are churches in the USA so segregated?

Homogenous unit principle?

Differences are about divisions. According to the churches. What do you think?

The country started re-segregating 1990

Evangelicals are all about power. You can get power by lifting yourself up, or stepping on someone and forcing them down...
Mormon are not evangelicals. I'm surprised to see that equation here. :?:

It also depends on what you mean by evangelicals. Are we talking about the American sense of the word (which just means a super politically conservative Christian), or the religious sense of the word? In terms of religion, evangelicals are a type of Lutheran.

Some of these numerous christian denominations in America do have southern split off versions that occurred around the civil war too. I wonder if that has something to do with it.
Wellsy wrote: It seems that the civil war and slavery was itself a schism in many religious denominations.

I missed this. Yes, it was. The civil war caused a lot of denominations to split. Some reunited after the war, but some didn't. This is why we see some the same denominations (similar sounding names even) that are more liberal, and others not. For example, some are ok with gay unions (not marriage though). While others are not, and have broken off to form alliances with churches in other countries. Typically countries that don't allow things like gay marriage or abortion. Usually in South America and Africa.

In America, there are multiple version of the same base denomination. Often they trace their differences to the civil war.
late wrote:The country started re-segregating 1990

Evangelicals are all about power. You can get power by lifting yourself up, or stepping on someone and forcing them down...

The church has always been a dogmatic institution. But different church groups have different philosophies. The Quakers have always been seekers of peace. But? Nixon was from a Quaker family from Whittier, California. That is interesting. Because he was someone who betrayed that Quaker tradition and felt always snubbed by the Kennedys and associated them with elitism. He saw himself as an underdog in politics.

In the end, it is about a lack of trust. Many of these churches feel uncomfortable with members who are Black in their midst.

Evangelical majority white churches also have a lot of desertion.

Rancid wrote:Mormon are not evangelicals. I'm surprised to see that equation here. :?:

It also depends on what you mean by evangelicals. Are we talking about the American sense of the word (which just means a super politically conservative Christian), or the religious sense of the word? In terms of religion, evangelicals are a type of Lutheran.

Some of these numerous christian denominations in America do have southern split off versions that occurred around the civil war too. I wonder if that has something to do with it.

Many churches were places of total racism. The Klan for example was based on Southern Christianity and beliefs.

For me people who are racists are not really Christians at all. They think they are though. That is what is interesting. How do they reconcile their distorted visions of Christianity and make it harmonious within some ideology that is about capitalism and elitism and exploitation and exclusion of huge numbers of human beings?

It has to do with a type of mental disorder with that.

It is a contradiction of the worst sort.

If one can create some disruption there it might mean being able to make some headway with the MAGA crowds. Hee hee.

I suggest you go to their Sunday church services Rancid and give some money to their baskets there and read the bible and sing some hymns. Tell them how much you believe in all that hypocrisy. :lol: :D
Tainari88 wrote:
Many churches were places of total racism. The Klan for example was based on Southern Christianity and beliefs.

For me people who are racists are not really Christians at all. They think they are though. That is what is interesting. How do they reconcile their distorted visions of Christianity and make it harmonious within some ideology that is about capitalism and elitism and exploitation and exclusion of huge numbers of human beings?

It has to do with a type of mental disorder with that.

It is a contradiction of the worst sort.

If one can create some disruption there it might mean being able to make some headway with the MAGA crowds. Hee hee.

I suggest you go to their Sunday church services Rancid and give some money to their baskets there and read the bible and sing some hymns. Tell them how much you believe in all that hypocrisy. :lol: :D

BTW, when I said mormons are not evangelicals, I wasn't saying Morons are not racist. They most certainly are. Until recently they didn't allow black people into the church. They are probably one of the most racist. However, they are not considered evangelical. They are their own kind of crazy/looney that is separate from evangelicals.

I agree, most of these self-professed Christians are not Christian at all. They do not behave like Christians, they do not follow the teachings of Jesus. Completely full of shit. They also will just selectively pick bits of the bible they like to make their (usually political) points, but as a whole, do not actually follow Christianity. They are more concerned with power and control (not very Christian at all).
It is not a mental disorder Tainari.

Religion reinforces ingroup mentality. Especially Abrahamic religion.

If the ingroup is white, it reinforces that whiteness.

If the ingroup is mixed, it reinforces that instead.

If the ingroup is Black or Brown it reinforces that.

And so on.

Religion or strong ideology reinforces and magnifies the groups social, racial, ethnic identity.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

so American traitor Russell Bentley kidnapped and […]

I recently heard a video where Penn Jillette (w[…]

The dominant race of the planet is still the White[…]