Driver stops train, demands racist passenger get off - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

News stories of lesser political significance, but still of international interest.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Forum rules: Please include a source with news articles. No stupid or joke stories. The usual forum rules also still apply.
New Zealand leads the way!

Driver stops train, demands racist passenger get off

From Checkpoint, 5:17 pm on 9 August 2019

A Wellington train conductor has been hailed as a hero for literally stopping a train in its tracks after a racist taunt between passengers turned nasty last night.

The train had left the Wellington Railway station for Upper Hutt but came to a halt after the conductor overheard a passenger racially abusing another for speaking Hindi on his cellphone.

One of the passengers on the train, who asked not to be named, said the incident unfolded at around 8pm last night.
"A young girl, about 16, was yelling at a passenger and saying 'go back to your country, don't speak that language here'," she told Checkpoint.

"She said she was getting off at the next stop, and the conductor said 'no you can get off at this one, I'm not putting up with that nonsense'"

The girl said "Well, I'm not getting off the train then," so the conductor called the police.
"A lot of us had turned around and were watching the situation unfold."

The passenger said nobody on the train was upset that the conductor stopped the train to remove the girl
"Everyone was over the moon she decided to do that and stand up to that behaviour.

"We were just in awe that she had the courage to say 'this isn't on and I'm not going to put up with it, no matter who you are and whether you're a paying customer or not - you can get off the train and find your own way home.'
The passengers waited around 20 minutes.

She said the victim of the racial abuse was very startled at first but seemed more or less unphased.
"If it was me, I'd be quite outraged ."
The conductor, JJ, said she was alerted to the incident by another passenger.

"We are here as one people in this country, we should all share things equally. We're all living in this country for a purpose, treat every person with the same respect that you'd like to be treated with - with total respect, no matter what race you are."

Well done to him!
Last edited by redcarpet on 10 Aug 2019 10:03, edited 1 time in total.
What is wrong with young women these days? So they stopped the train but will she be charged?

A recent episode of an Australian fashion model, former Miss Australia finalist, no less, recently got left off after racially abusing and assaulting passengers and staff on a flight to LA.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jul/16/australian-model-avoids-jail-for-assaulting-flight-attendant-while-drunk

I think jail time would be appropriate for physical assault and racial abuse. I don’t see why fashion models should get special treatment.
SolarCross wrote:She is practically a child. Kicking her off the train and calling the police is a bit excessive. Especially since " the victim of the racial abuse was very startled at first but seemed more or less unphased."

Kicking her off the train is perfect punishment and not excessive. Young people need to be taught that this kind of despicable behavior is not welcomed in civilized nations. Being asked to leave is not excessive. She chose not to leave when asked to leave, thus the cops were called. I don't see how this is excessive at all. This is exactly what happens if you are belligerent in any public space and are asked to GTFO.
Last edited by Rancid on 10 Aug 2019 16:53, edited 3 times in total.
foxdemon wrote:A recent episode of an Australian fashion model, former Miss Australia finalist, no less, recently got left off after racially abusing and assaulting passengers and staff on a flight to LA.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... hile-drunk

I think jail time would be appropriate for physical assault and racial abuse. I don’t see why fashion models should get special treatment.

What exactly does this have to do with the train incident?
Rancid wrote:Kicking her off the train is perfect punishment and not excessive. Young people need to be taught that this kind of despicable behavior is not welcomed in civilized nations. Being asked to leave is not excessive. She chose not to leave when asked to leave, thus the cops were called. I don't see how this is excessive at all. This is exactly what happens if you are belligerent in any public space and are asked to GTFO.

She was just a bit rude. Yes it is an overreaction. Also hailing the conductor as a "hero" and "brave" is absurd when all she did was rob a paying customer of her train ride, a child at that.. How did the kid get home? Maybe she doesn't have rich parents who can punt up a taxi or drive to pick her up. If the kid got abducted walking miles and miles home would the conductor still be a "brave hero"?
SolarCross wrote:She was just a bit rude.

That was more than rude, it was disgusting.

SolarCross wrote:Yes it is an overreaction.

No it wasn't. If you cannot behave in a public space, you should not be allowed to stay in the public space.

SolarCross wrote:Also hailing the conductor as a "hero" and "brave" is absurd when all she did was rob a paying customer of her train ride...

Yes, the conductor is a hero and brave. Many people are often reluctant to stand up to such non-sense behavior. We call people heros when they do things that we want to encourage others to do. In this case, stand up to racist bullshit/ bad behavior.

SolarCross wrote:a child at that.

A 16 year old, is not a child. That's old enough to know better.

SolarCross wrote:How did the kid get home?

She made her choice, and she has to deal with consequence. Are you seriously implying a 16 year is helpless and doesn't know how to get home? seriously? She probably took the next train.... but really, who gives a shit.

SolarCross wrote: Maybe she doesn't have rich parents who can punt up a taxi or drive to pick her up.

Why are you assuming she was not allowed onto the next train or take a bus?

SolarCross wrote: If the kid got abducted walking miles and miles home would the conductor still be a "brave hero"?

The probability of this happening is so low, it's ridiculous to even suggest it. That said, I'll entertain your extremely low probability scenario. It would be unfortunate if she were abducted, but yes, the conductor would still be a hero.

I recall listening to a podcast about the differences between rightist and leftist. Basically, rightest respond more strongly to fear. Your line of responses really lines up with that point. It's very interesting. Leftist tend to respond stronger to optimism. This is why at conservative political rallies, there's always a lot of talk of fearful things. Like, they're coming to take our rights, they're taking our jobs, etc. etc. This works well to rally these people. If you look at left political rallies, there's a lot of optimistic talk, because this rallies these types of people. A lot of it is actually tied to our genes. Anyway, that was just a side note.
Last edited by Rancid on 10 Aug 2019 17:23, edited 1 time in total.
I understand that you take on the default position of wanting to defend this young woman (not a girl) because your biases towards social justice warrior types. However, I just don't see why this person in this particular incident should be defended. Basically, you're letting your higher order biases against SJW types get the best of you here.

I mean seriously, she shouldn't be kicked out because she could get abducted? That's the best you could come up with?
SolarCross wrote:She was just a bit rude. Yes it is an overreaction. Also hailing the conductor as a "hero" and "brave" is absurd when all she did was rob a paying customer of her train ride, a child at that.. How did the kid get home? Maybe she doesn't have rich parents who can punt up a taxi or drive to pick her up. If the kid got abducted walking miles and miles home would the conductor still be a "brave hero"?

SolarCross, she is lucky that man did not slap her in her face and kick her ass on that train.

If someone told me to stop speaking Spanish to my husband on my cell phone while riding a public train in the USA and told me to go back to the country I came from and this was her country? Some snotty ass rude kid? No. You are asking for trouble with that stuff SolarCross. Would you tolerate someone telling your wife she wasn't English and had no right to live in England because her parents weren't English? Would you? Don't be a hypocrite for politics SolarCross. People fall in love and it has nothing to do with nationalities and races. It has to do with two individuals who love each other or want to be together and they don't care about labels like Iranian or Hindi or Arab or Chinese or Anglo or Irish. They wind up figuring out on their own how stupid that stuff is.

It was worse in the past when the law protected racist assholes on public transport. Do you know in Florida in the 1950's they had segregated buses to get to work. Puerto Ricans used to ride the Florida public bus lines and some of their family members looked 'white' and the brother or sister would look 'dark' and the bus drivers would tell some Puerto Rican's brother or sister that they could not sit next to their own brother or sister. Do you know what would happen SolarCross? The Puerto Ricans started carrying knives and when the bus drivers said that racist shit they would slice them. Across the face.

This 'reaction' started becoming consistent to the point that the bus drivers had a meeting with these segregated seat assignments and they said, "Leave the Puerto Ricans alone. They are hard to tell who is black or who is white. They don't follow rules of marrying the right sorts of people. They are dangerous. Leave them alone. "

The racists seem to respect getting cut with knives when confronted with their racist shit. Hmmmm. I wonder....
The court heard the former Miss World Australia finalist ordered "several glasses of wine" on the January 21 flight.

When the Australian-South Sudanese model was cut off from drinking more, she yelled obscenities and racial slurs, and struck a flight attendant.

She was then handcuffed by an air marshal, refused to leave a toilet, and had to be held at the rear of the plane.

Prosecutors recommended she serve a month behind bars.

Probation officers recommended three years of probation and a $US2000 ($A2843) fine.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/miss-world-au ... 11173.html

The victims in the OP are from India and they were speaking Hindi on the train. There was a similar incident on my local train, which would never happen in India due to gender segregation. A male passenger who sexually abused a woman was arrested after the train conductor called the police, which took around 5 minutes. This Miss World Australia finalist is a Sudanese but she is culturally so Australian.

The thing is, Australian women seem to think they should be not held to the same level of accountability as men.

I thought about that, too. It was usually women who walk around and behave very badly in Australia. But somehow they get away with it easily as they belong to a protected class of citizens.
Last edited by ThirdTerm on 10 Aug 2019 21:40, edited 1 time in total.
Rancid wrote:What exactly does this have to do with the train incident?

The thread is highlighting women being racist on public transport. I was just showing another example to illustrate how frequent this is. Furthermore, I think there is a double standard.

Imagine if you, Rancid, a man, had been the one on that flight, got drunk, called the passengers around you ‘white trash’ and then bitch slapped the flight attendant. Do you think you would have got off with community service and probation?

I don’t see why women being racist should be treated any less seriously than men being racist.

ThirdTerm wrote:This Miss World Australia finalist is a Sudanese but she is culturally so Australian.

Ok, so she is African Australian. Why should her ethnic background be relevant? Surely the fact that she is a high flying fashion model conducting herself in a disgraceful manner and embarrassing the whole nation in front of the world is what should matter. Imagine how Americans would feel if a Taylor Swift had behaved like that on an international flight.

The thing is, Australian women seem to think they should be not held to the same level of accountability as men. As you well know, even university lecturers seem to think they can treat students like dirt. It is about time the rules get enforced equally, regardless of who the offender might be.
Rancid wrote:It wasn't a bus. I'm also not sure who here assumed the conductor is a man. :?:

Apologies, train conductor. Two people made that assumption.
redcarpet wrote:Well done to him!

Tainari88 wrote:SolarCross, she is lucky that man did not slap her in her face and kick her ass on that train.

Anyway, it was just meant to be a tongue in cheek comment.
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:Apologies, train conductor. Two people made that assumption.

Anyway, it was just meant to be a tongue in cheek comment.

Kaiser the man was told to go back to his country and not speak Hindi on the phone. I was talking about the man who received the snotty rude comment. Not who was conducting the train and forced her off because she refused to obey the conductor of the train.

I was talking about a simple thing. You interrupt someone who is not doing anything at all and is just riding on a bus to try to humiliate them. Publicly. It was going to get ugly or got ugly because apparently the train conductor had to keep everyone safe on the train. She was the instigator. She needed the boot. Easy to see the decision. But since she was the one who wanted to verbalize publicly what a bunch of racist conservatives believe they want to protect her right to free speech because hey she is a kid. Poor kid. Raised by some nasty ignorant racist parents most likely, and most likely to get hurt physically for her lack of judgment.

You never know who is out there Kaiser, you open your mouth with racist stupidity in this world? You might run across someone who is not in a 'sane' frame of mind and will get physical with you.

People think having a child raised with rudeness is not bad for their health. They are wrong. Rude children wind up getting into terrible trouble in the future. Lost job opportunities, less connection with friends and family, loss of self esteem, and many other detrimental effects from not having decent social skills and being racists with a lack of intelligence.

If people only want to socialize with their own socioeconomic class, speak their own language and be surrounded by their own ethnic group ONLY. That is their right. Just don't tell your kids on public transportation or out in public that it is a good idea to be telling other people you don't know, that it is ok, to insult random strangers and not get any consequences.

Common sense. Respect people and they will respect you.
Tainari88 wrote:Kaiser the man was told to go back to his country and not speak Hindi on the phone. I was talking about the man who received the snotty rude comment. Not who was conducting the train and forced her off because she refused to obey the conductor of the train.

Ok, it looks like I jumped to a conclusion there too quickly. My apologies to you and @redcarpet.

I have no problem with her being asked to leave the train and I also wouldn't mind had the other passengers thrown her out themselves.

@FiveofSwords , when do you plan to call for a ra[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

I'm not American. Politics is power relations be[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Friedrich Engels once said, “All that exists dese[…]

This is too verbose to excuse thinking teaching ho[…]