Jackie Chan expresses willingness to join CPC - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

News stories of lesser political significance, but still of international interest.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Forum rules: Please include a source with news articles. No stupid or joke stories. The usual forum rules also still apply.
Hong Kong action movie superstar Jackie Chan said he wanted to join the Communist Party of China (CPC) at a recent forum in Beijing, a comment that experts said reflected Hong Kong elites' increasingly objective and rational understanding of the CPC amid the city's reflection on its position and search for its future development.

Chan joined a symposium on Thursday in Beijing, which invited Chinese film insiders to speak and share their thoughts regarding the keynote speech delivered by the top Chinese leader on July 1, the centennial of the founding of the CPC.

At the event, Chan, also the vice chairman of the China Film Association, not only expressed his proud feeling of being a Chinese, but also showed his longing for the CPC. "I can see the greatness of the CPC, and it will deliver what it says, and what it promises in less than 100 years, but only a few decades," Chan said.

Also, he remarked that "I want to become a CPC member."

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202107/1228372.shtml

The Hollywood Industry screeching, I can already hear it.
He hasn't done a good movie in decades anyway. I understand why most lay HK Cantonese people hate him.

Still I'm not going to pretend I don't still believe 1987's Police Story is the greatest non-english action film ever made.

And I still pause Enter The Dragon at the moment when he appears onscreen. And I still love both Drunken Masters.

The SJWs will probably try to cancel him and his films, but fuck them. I can accept people have to different politics to me and still enjoy most of his films. They're classics.

Rugoz wrote:"a comment that experts said reflected Hong Kong elites' increasingly objective and rational understanding of the CPC"

"but also showed his longing for the CPC"

who comes up with this shit? :lol:

The translator. It is simply impossible to properly translate nuanced idioms/words/ideas that don't exist in the English language into English. As someone fluent in a slavic language its bad enough there-Around ~30% is lost in translation. I can only imagine what Arabic, Mandarin or Korean is like. A bad google translation probably gives a better idea of the gulf/difference than these human translations.

English is definitely a disconnected bloated pidgin language and it shows.
Igor Antunov wrote:
The translator. It is simply impossible to properly translate nuanced idioms/words/ideas that don't exist in the English language into English. As someone fluent in a slavic language its bad enough there-Around ~30% is lost in translation. I can only imagine what Arabic, Mandarin or Korean is like. A bad google translation probably gives a better idea of the gulf/difference than these human translations.

English is definitely a disconnected bloated pidgin language and it shows.

That's a damn good point.

He's old. I can't imagine how he handles all his aches and pains. I'd guess he doesn't want trouble, and is playing along simply because he has no choice.

I wish he had come here.
Igor Antunov wrote:https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202107/1228372.shtml

The Hollywood Industry screeching, I can already hear it.

Gee a Hollywood/movie star virtue signalling to some ideology because he has become a lot less relevant compared to his prime. I thought you hated this and now somehow you are for this :?:
Jackie Chan lost much of his credibility among Hongkongers long before this.

And the CCP did not reward him very well anyways. He could only play a very peripheral role in the film The Founding of a Republic.

To me, he is no different from Igor Antunov -- despicable clowns who will be swept away and cut off (as it's understood in The Holy Bible) when the time comes.

As for whether Damnatio Memoriae should be undertaken, I am neutral. I won't personally advocate it -- history is history. But if others find that they cannot handle these conflicting facts, I would say Jackie Chan asked for it himself.

P.S. My family often opines that, most entertainers are bound to be tyrant-serving -- in most of the times resisters have to feed themselves, and the entertainment industry is one of those most vulnerable because they are not primary value creators. IMHO it's just that Jackie Chan behaves in a particularly clumsy way.
JohnRawls wrote:Gee a Hollywood/movie star virtue signalling to some ideology because he has become a lot less relevant compared to his prime. I thought you hated this and now somehow you are for this :?:

He supports whatever anti-American. Period.
Patrickov wrote:Jackie Chan lost much of his credibility among Hongkongers long before this.

His earlier films will always be classics, nothing he can do will change his immense contribution to Action movie cinema. Only Bruce Lee had a bigger legacy as a Cantonese action star.

But after leaving Hollywood and returning to Hong Kong I feel Jackie probably struggled with being viewed as "American sellout" first, and now he's a communist sellout.

His last good movie was New Police Story in 2004. Everything else has been disappointing, and weird attempts to transition Armour Of God and Police Story into shitty weird CCP approved Mandarin reboots when he should just be doing Cantonese sequels.
colliric wrote:It's just funny that's he's gone from American Sellout to Communist Sellout instead.

He can clearly see the writing on the wall. Lol.

And hey, if you want to be successful in this world then you're gonna have to sell out to somebody. May as well sell out to winners rather than a bunch of losers, eh? :up:
Potemkin wrote:He can clearly see the writing on the wall. Lol.

And hey, if you want to be successful in this world then you're gonna have to sell out to somebody. May as well sell out to winners rather than a bunch of losers, eh? :up:

More like it is his local circumstances and a choice of between going to the gulag or selling out. Doesn't make the situation any better though.

Source? I think Iran only communicated the end […]

Yeah, I'm in Maine. I have met Jimjam, but haven'[…]

No, you can't make that call without seeing the ev[…]

The people in the Synagogue, at Charlottesville, […]