Baldwin to Be Charged in Rust Shooting - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

News stories of lesser political significance, but still of international interest.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Forum rules: Please include a source with news articles. No stupid or joke stories. The usual forum rules also still apply.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/20/us/alec- ... index.html

More than a year after cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was fatally shot by Alec Baldwin on the “Rust” movie set, prosecutors announced they will charge the actor and the film’s armorer with involuntary manslaughter, accusing the pair of failing to perform essential firearm safety duties that could have prevented the tragic accident.

Hutchins was killed on the film’s New Mexico set in October 2021 when a prop gun Baldwin was holding fired a live round of ammunition, striking Hutchins in the chest and hitting director Joel Souza in the shoulder.

Baldwin has maintained that he never pulled the trigger and was not aware the gun contained live rounds. Hannah Gutierrez Reed, the set armorer who loaded the prop gun, says she believed the rounds were dummy ammunition, according to her lawyer.

Prosecutors, however, say both Baldwin and Gutierrez Reed were responsible for checking the safety of the prop.

“Every person that handles a gun has a duty to make sure that if they’re going to handle that gun, point it at someone and pull the trigger, that it is not going to fire a projectile and kill someone,” New Mexico First Judicial District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies told CNN Thursday.

Baldwin and Gutierrez Reed will each face two counts of involuntary manslaughter, but each count carries a different level of punishment, Carmack-Altwies said when she announced the charges.

A jury will decide which count may be more appropriate and, if convicted, they will only be sentenced to one count, the prosecutor said.

In either case, a conviction is punishable by up to 18 months in jail and a $5,000 fine. But one charge carries an additional firearms enhancement – because a gun was involved – and would require a mandatory punishment of five years in jail, the prosecutor said.

The charges will be formally filed by the end of the month, Carmack-Altwies told CNN.

The prosecutor said she will not request the arrests of Baldwin and Gutierrez Reed. Instead, they will be summoned to appear in court either in-person or virtually, she said.

As the trial looms, CNN senior legal analyst Elie Honig says prosecutors will have to overcome significant challenges, including not knowing how live rounds got on set and experts’ varying opinions on the on-set responsibilities of actors and crew members.

“Remember, this is a criminal case. You need all 12 jurors to find guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. So I’m not saying that there’s no chance here, but this is a really difficult case for the prosecution,” Honig said.

Though a medical examiner determined Hutchins’ death was an accident, prosecutors argue the “fast and loose” safety standards on set and lack of caution around firearms props contributed to the fatal shooting.

“There was such a lack of safety and safety standards on that set,” Carmack-Altwies told CNN, adding that live rounds were mixed with dummy rounds on set.

“Nobody was checking those or at least they weren’t checking them consistently,” she said. “And then they somehow got loaded into a gun handed off to Alec Baldwin. He didn’t check it. He didn’t do any of the things that he was supposed to do to make sure that he was safe or that anyone around him was safe. And then he pointed the gun at Halyna Hutchins and he pulled the trigger.”

Baldwin has said he did not pull the trigger before the gun fired.

During FBI testing of the the gun’s normal functioning, the weapon could not be fired without pulling the trigger while firearm was cocked, an FBI forensics report said. Eventually, the gun malfunctioned during testing after internal parts fractured, which caused the gun to go off in the cocked position without pulling the trigger, the report said.

In addition to acting in “Rust,” Baldwin was also producing the film. Prosecutors will be charging him in both capacities, Carmack-Altwies explained, saying that as a producer, Baldwin had a responsibility to ensure the set was safe.

Ultimately, the prosecutor said, “just because it’s an accident doesn’t mean that it’s not criminal.”

“Our involuntary manslaughter statute covers unintentional killings,” she said. “Unintentional that means they didn’t mean to do it. They didn’t have the intent to kill. But it happened anyway, and it happened because of more than mere negligence… They didn’t exercise due caution or circumspection and that’s what happened here.”

Baldwin’s attorney Luke Nikas said the actor was “blindsided” by the charges, which Nikas called “a terrible miscarriage of justice.”

“Mr. Baldwin had no reason to believe there was a live bullet in the gun – or anywhere on the movie set. He relied on the professionals with whom he worked, who assured him the gun did not have live rounds,” Nikas said.

The executive director of the entertainment union SAG-AFTRA called the anticipated charges against Baldwin “wrong and uninformed.”

“The charges clearly indicate a lack of understanding about the standards and expectations of how a film set operates,” Duncan Crabtree-Ireland told CNN’s Laura Coates. “The fact is, actors are not firearms experts. Actors cannot be expected and are not expected to do final safety checks or anything of that nature.”

Gutierrez Reed’s attorney Jason Bowles said, “We were expecting the charges but they’re absolutely wrong as to Hannah - we expect that she will be found not guilty by a jury and she did not commit manslaughter.”

Hutchins’ family said in a statement Thursday that they support the charges and “fervently hope the justice system works to protect the public and hold accountable those who break the law.”

“It is a comfort to the family that, in New Mexico, no one is above the law,” the statement said.

In an interview with CNN in August, Baldwin said he believes the responsibility falls on Gutierrez Reed and assistant director Dave Halls, who handed him the gun.

However, Halls and Gutierrez Reed have repeatedly said they are not at fault and accuse Baldwin of attempting to shuffle off blame for the accident.

Gutierrez Reed maintains she did not know there were live rounds in the ammunition on set and has sued the film’s gun and ammunition supplier and its founder, who deny wrongdoing. She claims live rounds of ammunition were mixed into the dummy ammunition purchased from the company.

Halls has signed a plea deal on a charge of negligent use of a deadly weapon, which grants him six months of probation and a suspended sentence, Carmack-Altwies’ office said.

Hutchins’ family filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Baldwin and others involved in the movie’s production, and reached an undisclosed settlement in the suit in October.

As part of the settlement agreement, Hutchins’ husband, Matthew Hutchins, was set to be an executive producer on “Rust” when it resumed filming.

I knew he was guilty the first time I read the details of the shooting. I used to have CCW and even went and got pistol certification so I could even teach classes to other babes, and so forth. I'm not some crack shot at all. I have to practice and I haven't for awhile but my dad also taught me gun safety at a young age.

His mistake: Always assume your weapon is loaded. I dont give a flying fuck if you literally just watched the slide eject the last round and you're looking at the gun in breach, treat it like it's loaded!

Ok, in breach is extreme but all other times, you ALWAYS assume its loaded and ready to kill. If I unload my firearm and go to the bathroom, when I come back its loaded again.

When I unload it and put it away it's loaded when I pick it back up.

SOMEONE HANDS ME AN UNLOADED GUN... ITS FUCKING LOADED ALEC AND YOU DONT PULL THE TRIGGER WITHOUT LOOKING AT IT YOU MORON
Morgan Le Fey wrote:SOMEONE HANDS ME AN UNLOADED GUN... ITS FUCKING LOADED ALEC AND YOU DONT PULL THE TRIGGER WITHOUT LOOKING AT IT YOU MORON

Oh dear! The gun was meant to be loaded. It was just meant to be loaded with blanks not live rounds. As the following explain its not always that easy to ascertain whether the round is live or blank.

Or maybe next time, the guns should be loaded and unloaded in full view of the entire crew, EVEN the actor should be present for the process for safety purposes. If I were an actor, I would insist on this as part of my contract. Ha!

For all we know, someone on set wanted to see an actual death...some sicko.
Rich wrote:Oh dear! The gun was meant to be loaded. It was just meant to be loaded with blanks not live rounds. As the following explain its not always that easy to ascertain whether the round is live or blank.

Which is exactly the point of this lesson dear Rich: You can never know, so you always assume it's loaded. Anything less is Bush League Firearms handling.

He's being charged because of this very thing too so I don't know what you're upset about.

Anyway, aren't you happy King Liberal Doofus is headed for the Hoosegow? Lol.

I don't care what your reasoning is, a weapon is always loaded and you always check the chamber before handling the weapon and several times after. Anything less is negligence with a firearm, and yes dear Rich I have fired and understand many different types of handguns and assault-styled civilian rifles.

Alex killed someone because he's too important to remember firearm safety. He depended on others to tell him. Its in the link.

Also Rich, I read the story after it happened and looked for the details I needed to understand what went wrong. I don't need your youtube link as I already have the full and complete story without the right-wing disinformation that may or may not be in YOUR link.

I found them early on and so did prosecutors eventually. To be honest, if you DON'T charge this ass here and now, you can almost forget about charging anyone ever for negligent homicides.
Last edited by Morgan Le Fey on 20 Jan 2023 23:12, edited 2 times in total.
MistyTiger wrote:Or maybe next time, the guns should be loaded and unloaded in full view of the entire crew, EVEN the actor should be present for the process for safety purposes. If I were an actor, I would insist on this as part of my contract. Ha!

For all we know, someone on set wanted to see an actual death...some sicko.

According to proper firearms handling protocol, you do all this yourself. You literally do not take the word of anyone else and you don't even trust your eyes except that one second you can see (or not) a live round in the chamber.

It would be difficult for me to shoot a gun pointed at someone, let alone if I didn't know for a fact it wasn't loaded with real ammo.
Morgan Le Fey wrote:Which is exactly the point of this lesson dear Rich: You can never know, so you always assume it's loaded. Anything less is Bush League Firearms handling.

Yes and as I understand it Baldwin claims he did believe it to be loaded. just loaded with blanks. If you'd said Baldwin should have made certain that it was blanks, then your point might have been valid.

He's being charged because of this very thing too so I don't know what you're upset about.

I'm not upset,
Baldwin was in charge of all aspects of this, as he was the producer as well as being an actor. He was responsible for safety on the set. He's accountable, as is the armorer, who has also been charged.
Rich wrote:Yes and as I understand it Baldwin claims he did believe it to be loaded. just loaded with blanks. If you'd said Baldwin should have made certain that it was blanks, then your point might have been valid.

Nope, no pass. Not good enough. No one at a firing range could safely practice with those kinds of loosey-goosey "rules".

Its doesn't matter if the armorer says "These are just blanks" you put eyeballs on them before you shoot that firearm at someone. Its quite easy to see the copper jackets when you check the chambered round.

Rich wrote:I'm not upset,

Must be a no gun control at any costs posts then.
The shooting may have been a result of trying to defeat the unionized workers on the set.

Worker in charge of Alec Baldwin’s prop gun was replacement hire amid on-set chaos, safety concerns

“Corners were being cut — and they brought in nonunion people so they could continue shooting,” the knowledgeable crew member told the paper.

https://nypost.com/2021/10/22/replacement-non-union-worker-was-in-charge-of-alec-baldwins-deadly-prop-gun/

You are already in one. He says his race is being[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

Most of us non- white men have found a different […]

Fake, it's reinvestment in communities attacked on[…]

It is not an erosion of democracy to point out hi[…]