Australia ‘worthy of being spat on’: Nabil Shaath condemns decision to cancel $10 million in aid - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Israel, Gaza and the West Bank.

Moderator: PoFo Middle-East Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
Any Australians want to give their take on this?

Australia ‘worthy of being spat on’: Nabil Shaath condemns decision to cancel $10 million in aid

SAM BUCKINGHAM-JONES

GEOFF CHAMBERS

A senior Palestinian Authority official has condemned a decision by the Australian government to cancel $10 million in aid, describing Australia as “worthy of being spat on” and “servants of the US”.

Nabil Shaath — who advises PA chairman Mahmoud Abbas on foreign affairs and international relations — told a television station he had been “angered greatly” by the decision, Palestinian Media Watch reported.

“Australia’s decision about transferring $10 million angered me greatly. That’s all that Australia pays — $10 million that it pays to us, to the PA, through the international bank,” he said.

“(Australia) said that it transferred (the aid) to the UN Children’s Fund, UNICEF, so that it would not serve the payment of the salaries of the (martyrs and prisoners’) families.

“In other words, the truth is they are worthy of being spat on. You (Australians) are the servants of the US. No decision is made without Australia voting as the US votes — sometimes only these three vote: Israel, America and Australia …

“We do not want to declare war on Australia. But it cannot be, in other words, sometimes there is insolence that is impossible (to accept). I don’t want your $10 million. I don’t want to chase after them.”

Australia announced early last week it would end its direct aid to PA and will instead pay through the United Nations, following fears the money was going to the families of terrorists. Australia had previously sent aid to the World Bank’s Multi-Donor Trust Fund for the Palestinian Recovery and Development Program, but there were concerns the PA had paid stipends, known as “martyr payments”, of up to $US3500 ($4600) a month to families of those killed or jailed by Israeli authorities.

On May 29, Foreign Minister Julie Bishop wrote to the PA to seek “clear assurances” Australian funding was not being used to help Palestinians convicted of politically motivated violence.

“I am confident that previous Australian funding to the PA through the World Bank has been used as intended,” she said in a statement on July 2.

“However, I am concerned that in providing funds for this aspect of the PA’s operations there is an opportunity for it to use its own budget to activities that Australia would never support.

Any assistance provided by the Palestine Liberation Organisation to those convicted of politically motivated violence is an affront to Australian values, and undermines the prospect of meaningful peace between Israel and the Palestinians.”

Senior Israeli officials have praised Australia’s decision to clampdown on funding to the Palestinians, urging other western nations to follow suit.

The Australian understands the United Kingdom is looking at a similar move, forcing greater transparency and accountability from Palestinian authorities.

This is not the first time aid to the territories has come under scrutiny in Australia. In 2016, DFAT suspended its funding to World Vision programs in Pales­tine after Israel alleged the charity’s Gaza head funnelled humanitarian funds to Hamas.

After reviewing management of its funding, the department said in April last year that it had “uncovered nothing to suggest any ­diversion of government funds”. Australia allocated $43.8 million in humanitarian assistance to the region in 2017-18 and cut it to $43m in 2018-19.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nation ... 64f7412318

thx
AusAID was the independent Aussie organisation responsible for delivering most non-military foreign aid until 2013, when it was absorbed into the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade as the country cuts back on its aid budget. Because of this change, the Aussie government has more control over how to hand out foreign aid, immediately reflecting Julie Bishop's policy preferences. Probably she doesn't like the very idea of supporting the Palestinian state and it has nothing to do with President Trump, who was unfairly blamed for what's wrong with Australia.
Last edited by ThirdTerm on 14 Jul 2018 03:17, edited 1 time in total.
Rancid wrote:Agreed, this guy sounds like a fucking entitled brat.

:eh:

Wellsy wrote:Don’t think they’re wrong about Australian governments doing what the US wants or even throwing themselves at ther feet begging to do things before they’re even asked.

From the PA's point of view, Australia has adopted the most far-right of Israeli positions and flat-out called the PA as terrorists who cannot even manage 10 million oz dollars. That is not just removing the aid but it is insulting them as well @Rancid

Zionists should close their eyes and imagine the Israeli response if the US told Israel, "we will no longer be giving you the 3.5 billion a year in aid because we consider you terrorists unworthy of managing it, we will be giving it to the UN instead to manage it for you". I don't think the US would get away with merely being called as "worthy to be spat on".
Rancid wrote:Demanding voluntary aid is bratty, no?

Lashing out at someone for not giving you or changing the terms of voluntary aid is bratty, no?

Adding insult to injury is quite bratty and pathetic indeed. 10 million oz dollars are not even 5 million pounds which is less than a CEO's(single person's) salary. But the insult is quite massive and politically charged as well. Australia is effectively calling the Palestinian Authority terrorists.

noemon wrote:From the PA's point of view, Australia has adopted the most far-right of Israeli positions and flat-out called the PA as terrorists who cannot even manage 10 million oz dollars. That is not just removing the aid but it is insulting them as well @Rancid

He is not demanding anything, he clearly says he does not want their money, he is commenting on this politically charged decision calling him a terrorist.
noemon wrote:From the PA's point of view, Australia has adopted the most far-right of Israeli positions and flat-out called the PA as terrorists who cannot even manage 10 million oz dollars. That is not just removing the aid but it is insulting them as well @Rancid

Well, what else could they say as a reason to not give them aid? "We don't trust you" is a valid reason. It's why I stopped lending my brother money (that doesn't mean I don't help him in other ways). He'd make me poor.
Meh. It's generally better if the UN manages aid anyway.

noemon wrote:Zionists should close their eyes and imagine the Israeli response if the US told Israel, "we will no longer be giving you the 3.5 billion a year in aid because we consider you terrorists unworthy of managing it, we will be giving it to the UN instead to manage it for you". I don't think the US would get away with merely being called as "worthy to be spat on".

I don't think the US should be giving Israel aid anyway. I'd have no problem with the US insulting Israel.

noemon wrote:Adding insult to injury is quite bratty and pathetic indeed.

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh, it's just tough love.
Rancid wrote:Well, what else could they say as a reason to not give them aid?

Nothing at all is better than calling the Palestinian Authority terrorists and adopting that ultra-zionist position.

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh, it's just tough love.

That's bullshit and quite insulting to the Palestinians and their government.
Rancid wrote:Had they not specifically used the word "terrorist" would it change things for you?

I am pretty sure it would have changed things for the PA who were called terrorists.

That is the art of politics Rancid to do something without insulting the other party. There is also the art of doing nothing but insulting the other party which is what the Australian government has actually done.
noemon wrote:That is the art of politics Rancid to do something without insulting the other party. There is also the art of doing nothing but insulting the other party which is what the Australian government has actually done.

Insulting people is another tool of politics. I think it's a part of the art. Perhaps Australia wants more instability/fighting.

I'm starting to believe the idea that progress is made when we are all fighting each other. :lol:

Anyway, so this dude insulted Australia back. Does that make things even?

One other thing to note. Ultimately, I don't really care about what's happening between Australia and the PA. It's just more geopolitical chess playing that we have no real influence on. I'm just not emotionally invested in this stuff anymore.
Nah, You don’t get to criticize someone for deciding they don’t want to give you money anymore. That is strictly up to Australia and it is disrespectful for all the previous aid they gave. You can not excuse this simply by being pro Palestinian.

How about Russia uses a battle field nuclear we[…]

@Tainari88 , @Godstud @Rich , @Verv , @Po[…]

World War II Day by Day

March 29, Friday Mackenzie King wins Canadian el[…]

Hmmm, it the Ukraine aid package is all over main[…]