Law and order in an anarchist society. - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

The 'no government' movement.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
You say the parent's could kill Dorian if they paid the required compensation but who would they pay?

Interesting that you ask this question about wealthy Dorian. Normally, the concern of who will receive compensation for a murder victim is raised in terms of poor (say homeless) victims.

One answer is that compensation would belong to Dorian's estate, and would be distributed in the same way that the rest of his estate would, had he died of natural causes.

Another answer is that the compensation, absent any heirs, is an unowned resource. General rules of market anarchy stipulate that unowned resources can be "homesteaded" by the first person to put them to economic use. In the case of such claim, "putting to economic use" means going through the trouble of suing and convicting the murderers.

Thus roving lawyers (perhaps the equivalent of "ambulance chasers" today) would seek heir-less murder victims and sue their murderers.

Property is your God so in property's name violence is sanctified

I don't understand. Property is the anti-violence. Put differently, property rights define what counts as violence. Violence is the use of force against another person's property. Further, my personal view is that under normal circumstances, it is moral to respect another person's property.

I see property rights as derived from the basic principle that prohibits the use of force against another person or his ongoing projects. This to me is a basic moral principle. Since it is hard to know what another person's projects might consist of, it is convenient to delineate boundaries in the physical world which define each person's sphere of autonomy within which he may pursue his projects unmolested.

Property is a legal fiction that is self-evident. It is a fiction because it is exists only in the imagination of human beings. It is a legal fiction because it is an imaginary construction that is governed by sets of rules agreed upon by those that participate in the fiction.

By the same logic, morality is also fiction, right?

Here is how I see the relation between property and morality. Under normal (non-emergency) situations, it is moral to respect other people's property rights. In most cases, most people will agree. All societies agree that murder and theft are immoral. Theft is immoral precisely because it involves violation of another person's property rights. So is murder (or assault), as your body belongs to you.

In emergency situations, it may be moral to violate another person's property rights. Even then, the moral thing is to try and restore those rights (as much as possible) once the emergency is over.

It is often tempting to suggest that morality can be better served through property right violations even in non-emergency situations. Modern liberal doctrine is built on that idea. I personally believe it is both immoral and a bad idea (in terms of consequences).

It is a bad idea because once you open the flood gates, it is very easy to rationalise more and more property right violations for lesser and lesser goals. From almost-emergency situations (we need to tax you to give shelter to homeless people who might otherwise freeze to death), property right violations become routine (taxing to promote the arts and sciences, to pay industrial subsidies, etc.)

It is the ultimate slippery slope.
SecretSquirrel wrote:why did the community let the penniless alcoholic with mental problems in?

Eran wrote:How would you deal with habitual trespassers?

Some people would shoot them, others would try to care for them (if they are homeless), others would ignore them. I would probably not own much land myself, so i would just physically secure what I do own (good fencing) to prevent the trespass.

If a person (or a society) has actual trouble securing their land holdings against trespass from destitute people -- meaning that they are not able to effectively police the borders or build a good enough fence -- that is probably a sign that they own too much land, in violation of the spirit of Locke's proviso.
Eran wrote:One answer is that compensation would belong to Dorian's estate, and would be distributed in the same way that the rest of his estate would, had he died of natural causes.

Another answer is that the compensation, absent any heirs, is an unowned resource. General rules of market anarchy stipulate that unowned resources can be "homesteaded" by the first person to put them to economic use. In the case of such claim, "putting to economic use" means going through the trouble of suing and convicting the murderers.

Thus roving lawyers (perhaps the equivalent of "ambulance chasers" today) would seek heir-less murder victims and sue their murderers.

I don't think you have thought that one through. Rich people without children will have commercially minded assassins trailing them at every turn. Kill the rich dude, have the paperwork all ready to claim his 'unowned resources' and spend the loot. If they get caught, so what?, just pay the fine to his estate, which the assassin will claim back anyway. :muha1:

You heard of Black Widows? Women who marry rich men, kill them and then inherit all the loot. Well you just made it legal!

Morality is a legal fiction to an extent but it is something more visceral than the concept of property. It is also qualitive rather than quantitive. You can lose the concept of property without losing the concept of morality. In contrast if you lose the concept of morality then the concept of property is lost with it.. So morality is the superior, more real concept.

You take the concept of property too far, applying where it shouldn't be applied. They say that for the man whose only tool is a hammer everything becomes a nail, well you are that man. You are trying to make a morality based solely on property which stretches things too much and is too artificial. Under a stress test it is revealed as perverse.

In a bit I'll post anarcho-communist solutions to the problems posed by Sam and Dorian. And we will see if a moral rather than a property approach to crime is not more natural and more just.
Okay as promised here is anarcho-communist solutions to the problems created by Dorian and Sam.

Sam - Once caught Sam is brought before those in the community concerned with his crime. Nobody is hugely worried about the lost buildings and their contents that is all just stuff and can be rebuilt and replaced. That much is annoying and wasteful but no more than that. The real loss is the deaths he caused and this will be the substance of the communities concern. Naturally the concerned individuals present at the meeting includes the survivors of the fires as well as their friends and family. It is in effect a trial by a jury of Sams peers, his victims and Sam himself. There is no judge no prosecutor no defence attorney or rather all concerned including Sam have a say in judgment, accusation and defence. The purpose is truth and if possible reconcilliation and if necessary retribution. The result? no one can say in advance every situation is unique. A million different things could swing the verdict one way or another. Is Sam showing remorse or shame? Does he appear sincere? What in his history brought him to this moment of destruction? What was his intentions? Did he know what he was doing? Can he be redeemed? How can he make ammends? Can he be let loose? Would he do the same again? Just some of the questions that would be asked until some consensus reached.

It may be in the end Sam is seen to be a victim of circumstance and the crime he commited a blind lashing out at a world that had been unrelentingly cruel to him. In which case his 'sentance' may be an offer to join the community and work to help make amends. Likely he will be overwhelmed with gratitude and have some dormant better sensibility awakened in him and in the end become an unfalteringly productive and well adjusted human being. Those he injured will come to forgive and even love him.

It may also be that Sam is seen to be too embittered, damaged and dangerous to be let loose or join the community now but some possibilty exists that with time he could be redeemed. Some secured accomadation may then be arranged where he will work and study under supervision. He is under as much security and supervision as he needs for as long as he needs.

It may also be that Sam is seen to be so utterly viscious and depraved and dangerous that the community sees no option but to take him from this world... Volunteers are asked to put him out of his misery.

Dorian - well things will go much the same as they would for Sam except for Dorian things are more clear cut. His crime was clearly premeditated and unmistakeably extremely sadistic and depraved. Very likely the parents will be so anguished and horrified that they will not settle for anything less than biblical in retribution. If I were one of those parents I would have his tongue and his eyes pulled out, his ear drums burst, his hands and feet smashed and his genitals torn off. I would then turn him loose in the forest for the rats to find. I would call that just.

See how this is a qualitive moral approach rather than a quantitive property based approach? Is this not a more natural and just way?
It as the terrifying potential for abuse, all judgments of guilt should be totally dependent on evidence first of all and shouldn't involve the bereaved in any way. Sentencing should of course include damages as a matter of course and are sufficient when its just property involved, when it comes to crimes against other human beings precedent should certainly be involved and If I were to personally build the criminal justice system of my community it would certainly not include cruel and unusual punishment.

I don't believe in emotional justice, all justice should be as objective as possible.
taxizen wrote:I don't think you have thought that one through. Rich people without children will have commercially minded assassins trailing them at every turn. Kill the rich dude, have the paperwork all ready to claim his 'unowned resources' and spend the loot. If they get caught, so what?, just pay the fine to his estate, which the assassin will claim back anyway

That doesn't work. Obviously, you cannot legitimately profit from a crime. The criminal (or anybody associated with them) couldn't qualify for "homesteading". Market anarchists can still employ some common sense.

So morality is the superior, more real concept.

I can accept that. I see property incorporated into morality in the simple sense that (again, under normal circumstances) it is moral to respect other people's property.

You are trying to make a morality based solely on property

Not at all. If you read what I wrote above, I feel there is a very important role for community expression of moral sentiments that go beyond issues of property. All I am asking is that the community expresses those extra-property moral sentiments without resorting to force.

See how this is a qualitive moral approach rather than a quantitive property based approach? Is this not a more natural and just way?

You do realise what you just described is elsewhere known as "mob rule", with all the justice and clear-thinking that are associated with the term? You are describing a system with no fixed laws. When a dispute arises, there are no guarantees of justice. If you can "play the crowd" well, say by fluttering sympathetic eye-lashes, you can get away with murder. If you rub people the wrong way (say because you are successful where they are not), you can be crucified.
@eran

If I understand you correctly..

You seem to accept the use of force (violence or threat thereof) to defend and enforce property claims. You also seem to suggest that a human being is a kind of property that owns itself. You seem to assert that we can be sure that violating a persons body is a crime because had it been a car or a house that was violated that would be a property violation and since bodies are property too that is also a crime. You believe that the victim of a property violation should be compenstated with equivalent property of the offender. And if the offender is unwilling to part with said property you accept that force may be used to enact the transaction. Thus according to your property-centric logic it should be acceptable in the case of body property violations for the victim to require compensation with the equivalent body parts of the offender and if the offender is unwilling to part with said body property then it is acceptable for the victim or a sub-contracted third party to forcefully remove aforementioned property. 8)

So if someone kills (destroys property) a member of my family I have a right to take from the offender the equivalent property (his life) to do with as I wish. Seems reasonable.

'Mob rule' is a fiction invented by elite parasites to make working people feel stupid and surrender their right to rule. Don't fall for it, I don't.
Many market anarchists follow your logical chain to its very end.

I suggest universally substituting external property to the human body as means for paying restitution. This is primarily on pragmatic, rather than principled grounds. The idea is part of a comprehensive framework for anarchist criminal-justice.

My idea is consistent with the overall pacifist tendency to minimise the use of force, even as part of the criminal-justice system. Since the criminal-justice system (the range of societal institutions empowered, authorised or legitimised in the use of force to discourage and punish criminal activity) often (though not always) resorts to force, my suggestion is to minimise the range of decisions and latitude it is afforded.

Hence in my system, criminal-justice institutions are limited to:
1. Identifying whether property right violation took place
2. Quantifying the monetary value of the violation
3. Identifying the party (or parties) responsible for the violation
4. Subject to 1-3, provide the crime victim with the (transferable) right to extract restitution from the property of the guilty party.

Several questions currently within the jurisdiction of the criminal-justice system need not be:
1. Determining the intent of the criminal
2. Determining whether the criminal is likely to offend again
3. Assessing extenuating or exacerbating circumstances
4. Determining an appropriate "punishment" for the crime

The criminal-justice system I propose is very lean, and its judgements are effectively value-free. They are tasked with making very objective determinations, rather than apply subjective moral standards. This is in line with the recognition that, in a free society, people ought not use force to apply their subjective moral standards on others.

This is not to suggest that moral considerations aren't valid and important, or that they are irrelevant for the question of criminality. On the contrary. The point, rather, is to leave moral considerations (beyond a best attempt to restore property) to individuals. This, again, is consistent with broad libertarian principles.

Another important advantage of minimising the use of force is the recognition that humans sometimes make mistakes. The wrong person can be found guilty, in which case any punishment would be unjust. We cannot use this concern to reduce penalty below restitution. If V, the victim, has lost $1,000, and the court determines there is 80% chance that C, the criminal, is responsible, expecting C to pay less than $1,000 would be unjust towards V. The judgement wouldn't be issued if the court didn't think C's guilt is more likely than his innocence. If the court is wrong, C was unjustly harmed by the extent of the penalty. A higher penalty is not required by the principles of justice. It does carry with it greater injustice in case of error. I owe this insight to Randy Barnett's The Structure of Liberty.

The system I suggest minimally uses force to extract stolen property or restitution for victims. It maximally allows individuals (and voluntary groups of individuals) to express their moral attitudes to the fullest - without aggression.

Extra-judicial expressions of moral sentiments in the context of criminality can go both ways. On the one hand, they can allow the community to boycott, exclude, avoid and shun criminals (even those who have paid their debt to the victim). On the other hand, they can allow the community to mitigate even the penalty associated with the criminal activity, if extenuating circumstances present themselves.

One important type of extenuating cause is lack of intent. If the criminal harmed the victim by accident, surely he doesn't morally deserve a severe punishment. It is still just that he pays restitution, for while he didn't intend to harm, he still did, and it would be unjust to expect the victim to bear the cost. Insurance can cover potentially large costs associated with accidental damage.

Being able to "share the pain" associated with penalties applied under extenuating circumstances is only possible if the penalty is monetary.

'Mob rule' is a fiction invented by elite parasites to make working people feel stupid and surrender their right to rule.

I really don't think so. Observe appeals to emotion in jury trials, not to mention lynch trials. I am very worried about giving life-and-death power to the emotional vagaries of individuals.

I agree that professional judges can be as vulnerable to such vagaries in a legal environment that allows them.
Your system is lacking; it doesn't work that well for embezzelers and pick pockets but really doesn't cut it at all for crimes against the person. Here's why..

Justice requires:-
1.Restitution (if possible) - okay you got a formula for that.
2. Moral Education - meaning the offender needs to experience the equivalent suffering that he caused in order to learn why he should not do it. Some offenders spontaneously recover their empathy after their crime meaning they can self-experience in their heart / mind the suffering they caused manifesting as the emotions, remorse, regret and shame. These people don't need to and shouldn't be physically educated as to what they have done. However there are always people who are so emotionally and morally numb that the only way they can learn why their crime is a crime is for them to physically experience something of what they did. Moral education is vital as it serves to reform the character of the perpetrator such that he is less likely to repeat his offence and it can deter other would be perpetrators from doing it in the first place. - your system does nothing for this .. 0/10, F for fail.
3. Satisfaction - who is justice for? The injured party (you forgot about them didn't you?). If the injured party is not satisfied with the results then no justice has been done at all. - No sensible person is going to be satisfied with your non-existant punishment of Dorian - 0/10, F for fail.

Even for purely financial crimes your system is a fail. Why? I'll give you an example. Hubert is a very skillful pickpocket but even Hubert gets caught occasionally. About 1 in every 1000 wallets Hubert slips up and gets his collar felt. On average he bags 200 quid each wallet. Lucky for Hubert the last wallet he got caught stealling was in a Market Anarchy (no prison-time yippee!) where all he had to do was make amends to the person he stole from. The person he stole from was Mr. Average who had exactly 200 quid in his wallet. So Hubert by order of the dispute resolution agency had to hand over 200 quid to Mr. Average to compensate him for his lost money. Luckily Hubert hadn't spent the 200 quid he stole so he just gave it back. He was released and having 'learnt his lesson' continued to pick pockets more carefully. :lol:

The fact your system disregards intent is another epic fail. Intent is everything. Here is a pair of scenarios that I am heard from a buddhist to explain the significance of intent.

A robber puts a knife in a man's belly hoping to kill him so he could take his money. The wound however was slight and the man soon recovers.

A doctor puts a knife in a man's belly hoping to cure him of a cancer that would be fatal. The operation however was not successful and the man soon dies.

Who is the murderer, the doctor or the robber? You would say the doctor and expect him to pay $3,000,000 to his patient's corpse. Any sane person would answer the robber even though no harm was done in the end because it was the robber's intention to kill.

I really don't think so. Observe appeals to emotion in jury trials, not to mention lynch trials. I am very worried about giving life-and-death power to the emotional vagaries of individuals.

Emotions are good, they exist for a reason. If i am in danger fear helps keep me alert. If I am wronged, anger gives me the strength to punish. If I am successful, satisfaction rewards my effort. Disgust warns me against corruption. Shame teachs me to improve my behaviour. If you despise the intelligence of the heart you are an idiot and have no business formulating justice systems.
Presumptous fool it is not for you to give life-and-death power to anyone that power already belongs to each and every one of us. Should they choose to excercise it is the individual's perogative not yours.
mikema63 wrote:Its more of a general distrust of emotions than hate, they are tools to human survival and like any tools they can be misused.

same could be said of reason, rhetoric, statistics, observation and accounting. Should we dispense with them as well?
I didn't say to dispense with emotion, I merely stated that when considering evidence and convicting guilt I would prefer the process to be as objective and unemotional as possible. Each tool has a time and a place, and determining guilt is not that time or place for emotion, in the same way that logic and reason aren't good ways to go about enjoying life in general.
mikema63 wrote:I didn't say to dispense with emotion, I merely stated that when considering evidence and convicting guilt I would prefer the process to be as objective and unemotional as possible. Each tool has a time and a place, and determining guilt is not that time or place for emotion, in the same way that logic and reason aren't good ways to go about enjoying life in general.

In our scenarios we had skipped the determining guilt process assuming for the sake of argument that these cases had been proven. What eran and I are discussing is the sentencing of the perpetrator. We could speculate on anarchist methods of detection and determining guilt later. I think emotion has a role in all stages of justice just as it has a role to play in all of life, anything else is demented. When it comes to sentencing, emotion helps evaluate the severity of crime and helps to read the emotions of the offender. Reading the emotions of the offender is crucial for evaluating his intent, how honest he is, as well as the degree to which he is repentant. Non demented people have finely honed senses for reading other peoples emotions. Even where the offender hides his emotions behind a 'mask' tells you something.
Eran wrote:Many market anarchists follow your logical chain to its very end.

So much time and energy wasted on nonsense.

The only way AnCaps differ from Minarchists/Libertarians/Classical Liberals on how to handle crime and punishment is that the Minarchists say there should be one and only one entity authorized by the populace to deal with it and the AnCaps say that anyone who believes he can make a living from handling it should be left free to give it a shot. The actual methods by which punishment/protection or restitution or deterrence are enforced are irrelevant to this core disagreement, since any and all of those methods can be applied by either a single entity or by multiple competing entities.

I suggest then that these lengthy and convoluted descriptions of just how to deal with a recalcitrant serial rapist (for example) who - when asked to head off to the prison machine shop to churn out enough salable widgets to cover the cost of his incarceration - tells the guard, "Up yours, mate!" be set aside until the central point has been addressed convincingly. What to do with an uncooperative prisoner is not the point, it is a subsidiary issue. The central, pivotal point is -

Why is it better to have a justice system run by multiple competing businesses rather than a single entity?

Until that question has been persuasively answered, there is no point digressing into all this needless detail on subsidiary issues. I believe Eran is possibly the most erudite, well-read, logical and articulate AnCap it has ever been my pleasure to encounter, but on this central point he fails as badly as all previous AnCap writers I have come across.

Phred
taxizen wrote:2. Moral Education - meaning the offender needs to experience the equivalent suffering that he caused in order to learn why he should not do it.

The pragmatic aspect of this theory (rehabilitation) has been discredited by decades of failed attempts to create penitentiaries in which criminals be made to suffer, learn and do no more evil.

As a matter of principle, I would argue that moral education is not a requirement of justice. Humans have a natural tendency for revenge, and that is all that's behind the call to "punish" offenders. Now there is nothing wrong with that tendency, provided force is not used beyond the minimum required to restore (as much as possible) the victim to his pre-crime state.

To the extent that society continues to feel outrage against the criminal, it can express that sentiment very effectively without the need to use force, through boycott and similar means.

However there are always people who are so emotionally and morally numb that the only way they can learn why their crime is a crime is for them to physically experience something of what they did.

I know of no evidence to suggest that physically punishing offenders reduces recidivism. On the contrary - people become desensitised to violence when violence is visited upon them. Abused children tend to grow and become abusive adults (though obviously not invariably so).

Further, to the extent that the concern is regarding recidivism, my system includes very effective means for its prevention, primarily access-control to developed land areas and, in rare cases, preventative incarceration.

As I detailed above, most serious criminals are unlikely to be able to discharge of their debt outright. They would be both forced and motivated to work productively. That experience will prepare them for lawful life.

Moral education is vital as it serves to reform the character of the perpetrator such that he is less likely to repeat his offence and it can deter other would be perpetrators from doing it in the first place. - your system does nothing for this .. 0/10, F for fail.

The current system in which punishment in the sense of "let them suffer" dominates is the one that has completely failed.

3. Satisfaction - who is justice for? The injured party (you forgot about them didn't you?). If the injured party is not satisfied with the results then no justice has been done at all. - No sensible person is going to be satisfied with your non-existant punishment of Dorian - 0/10, F for fail.

Compared with both the current system and the one your anarcho-cummunists suggested, my system is the only one that doesn't forget about the injured party. In fact, the injured party has all the power. The criminal owes them compensation. Not to "society". No system of justice can give the injured party unlimited power of revenge. In such system, people who have been slightly slighted may choose to inflict severe punishment on the criminal. Justice requires a proportionate response to the crime. My system offers that.

Hubert is a very skillful pickpocket but even Hubert gets caught occasionally.

I get the sense that you haven't really read my previous posts. Where does Hubert operate? He operates in a street or on public transportation. Having been caught once, Hubert is notified that he is no longer welcome on the street or bus. Further, street-owning companies and bus-operating companies share information about pick-pockets (just as Las Vegas casinos share information about card counters, and credit card companies share information about bad credits).

Next time Hubert is even observed on the street, he is given a final warning by a private security guard. He is immediately ejected and given a suspended fine - one that will become effective if he ever shows up again.

Further, Hubert's crime liability insurance companies is notified, and pulls Hubert's coverage. Without the coverage, Hubert is unable to shop, walk the streets or use most roads. His only means of survival is to accept employment in a medium-security agricultural or industrial work facility which accepts non-insured people. Life in that facility is not fun. Knowing that, the Huberts of my society are very careful not to lose their coverage.

The point is that society has effective means for crime prevention - means that do not require categorical incarceration or excessive punishment.

Who is the murderer, the doctor or the robber? You would say the doctor and expect him to pay $3,000,000 to his patient's corpse. Any sane person would answer the robber even though no harm was done in the end because it was the robber's intention to kill.

The difference between the two isn't intent. It is consent. The patient agreed that the doctor operate on him, and thus accepted the consequences (assuming no malpractice). He didn't agree to the robber.

If the doctor operated without the patient's consent (say the patient arrived to the hospital unconscious), he is potentially liable for the death. However, the doctor carries insurance such that if an arbitration court later finds the doctor guilty, he suffers no ill-effects, as his insurance covers the fine.

Emotions are good, they exist for a reason....

If you despise the intelligence of the heart you are an idiot and have no business formulating justice systems.

I value emotions greatly. In fact, I belong to the school of thought that sees emotion behind every human action. I don't want us to confuse emotions with justice. Justice, as I see it, is not emotional. Justice is about restoring the world (as much as possible) to its just state - a state that would exist if people didn't violate each other's rights.

Once justice has operated, emotions can come in. People are free to express their emotions both to further "punish" a criminal (by not wanting to have anything to do with him, by shunning him, by preferring not to allow him to their neighbourhood or job, etc.) or by helping to mitigate the lot of a person for which the imposition of just restitution feels wrong (by contributing money to help him pay).

Nothing wrong with emotions - except emotions are not an excuse to initiate force, or to use excessive retaliatory force.

it is not for you to give life-and-death power to anyone that power already belongs to each and every one of us. Should they choose to excercise it is the individual's perogative not yours.

Let me understand. Say somebody slapped me on the face in a public place. I an enraged. My honour was hurt. My girlfriend so me humiliated. Do I then have the prerogative to kill my assaulter? If not, please explain yourself.

same could be said of reason, rhetoric, statistics, observation and accounting. Should we dispense with them as well?

As you should now understand, nobody is calling to dispense with emotions. Rather, I want to avoid situations in which physical violence against other people is excused and justified emotionally.

Phred wrote:Why is it better to have a justice system run by multiple competing businesses rather than a single entity?

Despite having failed repeatedly, I am not tired, and would love to engage in the question again. However, as you correctly pointed out, the question above is orthogonal to (independent from) the question of the purpose of punishment.

The system I described in detail is one in which physical force is only used to extract restitution from the criminal or (in rare cases) to prevent them from causing irreparable harm. A secondary feature is the much more flexible ability to limit access by criminals or suspected criminals due to private ownership of most developed land.

Both features can as easily be applicable to a true minarchy ("true" referring to comprehensive private ownership of streets, roads, parks, etc.). The former, in fact, can start being applied even in our own society.

I thus submit, Phred, that we can have not one but two discussions, not serially but in parallel. One will address the question of monopoly vs. competitive right-enforcement mechanisms. The second will address the question of the purpose and nature of sanctions authorised against criminals.

Since the topic of this thread is appropriate, and assuming you haven't tired from the topic, I will renew it my briefly (in retrospect, not that briefly - apologies) summarising my position. Perhaps you can refresh my memory as to which points you find least persuasive:

1. The very same reasons we libertarians call for private competition in food, education, health-care and (most of us) roads applies for dispute resolution and right-enforcement (two separate functions roughly equivalent to judiciary and police / prisons). Competition breeds innovation and efficiency. It allows for customised rather than one-size-fits-all solutions.

Placing a function in private rather than public hands makes people internalise the cost of their choices.

2. Minarchists typically claim that authorised use of force is different from other services within society. As I understand it, two primary arguments are put forward:
a. Unlike, say, education, for which diversity of options is a plus, justice requires a uniform legal code.
b. Absent a monopoly organisation with the ultimate authorisation to use force, society will not be stable.

My answer to the first objection is to separate legal principles and legal procedures. Justice does indeed require a uniform set of legal principles. The society I am calling for does share that set of principles, encapsulated in the NAP, together with the principle of non-violent property-acquisition.

This principle is "meta-legal" in the same sense that the principle of supremacy of the US Constitution is in America (or the supremacy of Parliament is in Britain). To elaborate the point slightly, the supremacy of the US Constitution, for example, isn't codified. Sure - the Constitution announces itself as the supreme law of the land, but that announcement is circular. If we didn't respect the Constitution, that announcement would be worthless.

Every stable and peaceful society requires shared understanding of basic, fundamental legal principle of this nature. That principle is not determined or given by government - it is logically prior to government as it articulates what it is that makes government legitimate in the first place.

I suggest that the NAP (a shorthand which should be understood to also incorporate property-acquisition principles) would have to be broadly (but not necessarily universally) accepted within society in the same way that the US Constitution is accepted in today's America. The NAP would, in fact, become the unwritten constitution of the ancap society.

Once the principle is broadly accepted, specific legal codes need not be uniform. The US already has at least 51 separate legal codes (the states + Federal). At least two of which are in effect at any geographic location. Legal plurality is greater if you take into account specialised areas of law (family, military, marine, etc.). The fact that the very same offence will result in different legal sanctions depending on whether it took place in California or just across the border in Nevada doesn't seem to destabilise or cause great anxiety over issues of fairness.

So my system would have a uniform set of legal principles, and a diversity of legal codes all consistent with those principles. If you question what happens if a rogue agency refuses to apply the basic principles, I will explain that the broad acceptance of those principles is a precondition for the ancap society. The scenario of a rouge agency is equivalent to that of a rogue Army general who decides not to obey the US Constitution.

Before I dive into the issue of stability, I'd like to point to two (relatively short) papers. One is Alfred Cuzan's Do we ever really get out of anarchy?. His main point is that while most of us live under government rule, within government itself, anarchy prevails. The various personalities and institutions within government have no supreme ruler over them. They negotiate and settle disputes amongst them peacefully and without the need for an outside party.

The second is John Hasnas's slightly longer The Obviousness of Anarchy. In that brilliant paper, Hasnas demonstrates that, as a matter of practice, the vast majority of human interaction proceeds peacefully without recourse to government. He gives many examples, from everyday disputes, too minor to bring to government courts, to international relations.

OK - stability.

My line on the stability of an ancap society is to first look at the form of governance we are all familiar with - democracy. We all know stable democracies can and do exist. At the same time we should recognise that such stability is far from obvious. No stable representative democracies existed before the 18th century. Since then, we have seen many instances of failed attempts to establish democracies as nations with formally-democratic institutions deteriorated into other forms of government.

Why are some democracies stable, and others aren't? I claim that a prerequisite for a stable democracy is for the principle of democratic legitimacy to be broadly shared within society. That principle is that only legally-elected government can legitimately rule. Usurpers are illegitimate regardless of the physical power they temporarily wield. In societies in which this principle is indeed shared, circumstances that would otherwise tempt powerful and ambitious individuals to take over do not lead to military coups. There can be several mechanisms to ensure that, but I think the most important one is that any group wishing to take over government will either be too small to succeed against other forces within society, or too large to expect its members to all betray their strongly-held principles.

IF (and I admit it is a big IF) a society comes together in which NAP is broadly accepted as the only legitimate principle governing the use of force, a society, in other words, in which the NAP is the (lower-case) constitution, any attempts to violate it would be deterred or fail for parallel reasons. Either the group in question is small, in which case it would be crushed by the rest of society, or it is large, in which case most of its members will decline to betray their strongly-held principles.

In fact, comparing a modern democracy with a hypothetical ancap society, there is every reason to expect the ancap society to be more, not less stable. Here are some reasons:
1. Government already has a supreme leader (the US President, say) who enjoys both great legitimacy (due to his position) and popular appeal (for otherwise they wouldn't have been elected). Such leader enjoys many advantages over, say, the CEO of an enforcement agency, in any attempt to secure support for a coup
2. Government soldiers are trained to blindly obey their commanders. That obedience is rooted in emotions in ways that go well beyond the obedience employees feel for their employer. Government soldiers are more likely to betray their principles and follow illegal commands than are private employees of an enforcement agency.
3. Government agents enjoy qualified immunity. As long as the command they obey is not obviously illegal, they are likely to obey it without concern for legal repercussions. Employees of enforcement agencies, by contrast, enjoy no such immunity. If, in the course of obeying their managers, they commit crimes (even unintentionally), they can be found guilty and pay personal price. That would make them much more reluctant to obey apparently-illegal commands.

To summarise, I argue that, subject to appropriate preconditions, an ancap society should be expected to be at least as stable (and probably more so) than a mature democracy.
Eran wrote:1. The very same reasons we libertarians call for private competition in food, education, health-care and (most of us) roads applies for dispute resolution and right-enforcement (two separate functions roughly equivalent to judiciary and police / prisons). Competition breeds innovation and efficiency. It allows for customised rather than one-size-fits-all solutions.

Placing a function in private rather than public hands makes people internalise the cost of their choices.

There is an enormous and fundamental difference between the two spheres of human interaction you mistakenly represent as similar: the provision of food, education, health care, etc. involve voluntary exchanges between consenting individuals. No force is required in order for these transactions to take place. But the provision of deterrence, retribution, punishment, etc. necessarily involves the application of force.

Therefore the arguments which are persuasive in explaining the desirability of one paradigm (multiple providers competing for the consumer's business) in one arena fail miserably when applied to an arena which is fundamentally different.

For example, "innovation and efficiency" are not only irrelevant in the field of determining what human actions warrant a forceful response, they are undesirable. I don't want some goober out there running his own police force deciding what new "crimes" he can dream up in an attempt to have an innovative edge over his competitors. In the field of criminal justice (and for that matter contract law) you do in fact want a "one-size-fits-all" set of rules, knowable by all.

2. Minarchists typically claim that authorised use of force is different from other services within society.

That's because it is different. Fundamentally different. See above.

As I understand it, two primary arguments are put forward:
a. Unlike, say, education, for which diversity of options is a plus, justice requires a uniform legal code.
b. Absent a monopoly organisation with the ultimate authorisation to use force, society will not be stable.

My answer to the first objection is to separate legal principles and legal procedures. Justice does indeed require a uniform set of legal principles.

It is not enough to lay out the principles. It is obligatory to codify specifics. It is essential to differentiate between say, manslaughter, negligent homicide, second degree murder, first degree murder, etc., and to specify the penalties for each.

Once the principle is broadly accepted, specific legal codes need not be uniform. The US already has at least 51 separate legal codes (the states + Federal). At least two of which are in effect at any geographic location. Legal plurality is greater if you take into account specialised areas of law (family, military, marine, etc.). The fact that the very same offence will result in different legal sanctions depending on whether it took place in California or just across the border in Nevada doesn't seem to destabilise or cause great anxiety over issues of fairness.

But the offences are codified and are available for scrutiny by all. And it is very rare indeed that there is much substantive difference between what is considered a criminal act (or breach of contract) in one state vs neighboring states - the difference is usually in the penalty for that criminal act. But even if there were substantive differences, it wouldn't be a deal-breaker because:

To be just, those legal codes do need to be uniform. But only within a given geographic area. Within a "neighborhood", if you prefer, with the geographic extent of that neighborhood left unstated. Residents need to know what is permitted and what is not in the neighborhood where they have chosen to live and work. If they find the legal code not to their liking in that neighborhood, they might then consider moving to a different neighborhood with a differing code. But once they have made their decision, they can be confident that (barring future adjustments to the code) they know the rules that apply where they live.

Such is not the case with competing enforcement agencies operating within the same geographic location, each with their own "legal" code. You might be perfectly fine as long as you never run across an agent of Lock 'em Up Inc., since your actions don't contravene the "legal" code of Guardians 'R' Us Corp or Force Responders ™. But Lock 'em Up Inc. has a different viewpoint towards, say, statutory rape than do the other two.

So now, in order to be sure you are staying on the right side of the law, rather than having to follow just state and federal law, you must instead follow the "laws" of each and every "rights-enforcement" business active in your neighborhood, as well as anyone who decides there is some market segment the existing batch is not addressing, so he decides to draw up his own, more comprehensive "legal" code and enter the market, too.

The scenario of a rouge agency is equivalent to that of a rogue Army general who decides not to obey the US Constitution.

You don't even need a "rogue" agency for their to be trouble. You just need a multiplicity of differing "legal" codes being applied in good faith by honestly-run companies operating in the same geographic area. You correctly point out that in some states today, federal law differs from state law. But there is no conflict there, because the Constitution establishes a hierarchy: if federal law is silent on an issue, state law prevails. If federal law differs from state law, federal law prevails. Now, you may agree or disagree with this hierarchy, but it is at least a hierarchy. More importantly, it is a knowable hierarchy. Where is the hierarchy with multiple "legal" codes all operating simultaneously in a given geographic area? Answer: nowhere. There can be none. As long as each of the numerous "legal" codes being followed by the multiple companies complies with NAP, one cannot logically trump another.

For example, the principle of statutory rape is a valid principle. But the specifics of the legal code addressing it make all the difference between doing jail time and remaining free. Reasonable people disagree on the exact ages of participants necessary for the act to be properly considered statutory rape: see the various existing state laws as evidence. It is not implausible at all that - in order to differentiate themselves from their competitors - each of our three companies mentioned above (Lock 'em Up Inc., Guardians 'R' Us Corp and Force Responders ™) might have a differing age of consent on their books. Whose age of consent is the real one?

Before I dive into the issue of stability...

Let's reserve the discussion of stability for another time. It's perfectly fine by me if - when we get around to it - you want to just cut and paste your arguments from your last post into a later post dealing with the stability issue. For now, let's address another objection Minarchists have with leaving the administration of justice in the hands of private competing firms - the practicality of doing so.

In an AnCap society, no businessman is going to start an enterprise (as opposed to a philanthropic undertaking) whose business plan revolves around identifying, locating, apprehending, proving guilty, and incarcerating violent criminals (let's focus on just this subset of felons for now) unless he can make a living from it. From what I have read of your previous arguments on this subject, it seems the only way he can extract money from these felons is through forced labor. Before taking this any further, I want to make sure I haven't misinterpreted your position on this. Have I missed something else along the way, or is that in fact your position: that the money required to fund multiple, profitable "criminal justice" companies is obtained through forcing convicted felons to produce goods and services? Is there some other source of income I am missing?

Phred
I have some challenges to the points made in eran's last post but having read phred's last post I'm inclined to take a back seat for a bit. See I think phred is raising a really crucial problem with the an-cap law and order solution which somewhere in the back of my mind kind of troubled me too but hadn't yet got around to articulating.
The law and order system is already bad enough with privatised lawyers. A so called good lawyer, the one who gets the most financial rewards, is the one that can get a conviction of an innocent person and get an aquittal for a guilty. Imagine having a police force that is paid by results. The more people you frame up, the more you get paid. Its utterly ridiculous. There are already serious problems with private health care. A doctor is usually rewarded for treating people not for keeping people healthy. It can actually be in the doctors interest for you to be sick. But of course cry the libertarians we can have league tables. But how do the league table producers get rewarded. Often its not by producing good league tables.
Last edited by Rich on 27 Jul 2012 11:58, edited 1 time in total.

@Pants-of-dog if I had to bet, I'm guessing that[…]

@FiveofSwords wasn’t claiming that it does; his[…]

Are you saying the IDF should let humanitarian ai[…]

Women have in professional Basketball 5-6 times m[…]