Latham's retrospective terrorism legislation? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Australia.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please.
I would post this in "Today's News", but with any ensuing debate it would be moved to Asia-Pacific anyway...

Labor backs retrospective terror law

February 20, 2004
THE Labor Party would support any move to introduce retrospective legislation allowing two Australian Guantanamo Bay prisoners to be brought to justice in Australia, Opposition Leader Mark Latham said today.

"We should be saying these Australian citizens who have done the wrong thing ... have got to be dealt with the Australian way, here in our country," Mr Latham said.

"If the Howard Government hasn't got laws in place to do that the onus is on them to put forward laws into the Parliament, and I am saying the Opposition is there to assist in that task."

Mr Latham criticised the Federal Government for not having terrorism legislation in place after eight years in office.

"Australian citizens who have done the wrong thing should be dealt with in Australia, and the stunning admission that we have got from Mr Howard is that he does not have laws in place to do that," Mr Latham said.

"After eight years in government he does not have adequate anti-terrorism laws in place."

Mr Latham said the ALP would look at and consider any proposal that would see the two Australian prisoners brought back to face Australian authorities.

Mr Latham is travelling around the marginal regional Victorian seat of McMillan, and has dropped into a school at Leongatha and visited a parents group in Moe.

Although I want Labor to win the election, Latham is a bit barmy on some issues... I mean - seriously - such legislation would not only be quite stupid, but probably unconstitutional too.
By unbalanced zealot
While the politics of all this may be up for debate.

On a *personal* note I reckon it's GREAT !

infact - in my mind Divid Hicks should have been
Australian of the year for 2003.

Hang in there Hicksy !

Well, you should be aware that there are other arg[…]

^ this is the continuation of the pre-1948 conflic[…]

I remember the days just before the invasion star[…]

Turkey should accept them, they have money and ar[…]