Jeffrey sworn in as new Governor-General [Australia] - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Australia.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please.
Jeffrey sworn in as new G-G

Former SAS commander and decorated Vietnam War hero Major-General Michael Jeffery has been sworn in as Australia's 24th Governor-General.

Maj-Gen Jeffery took the oath of office in Parliament House's Senate chamber in a ceremony presided over by High Court Chief Justice Murray Gleeson.

Maj-Gen Jeffery replaced former governor-general Peter Hollingworth, who stood down early after controversy over his handling of sex abuse claims against the church while Anglican Archbishop of Brisbane.

He becomes the first Australian-born Governor-General to have had a full time military career.

His wife Marlena, Prime Minister John Howard and his wife Janette, were among the first to congratulate the new Governor-General.

Maj-Gen Jeffery has previously served a seven-year term as Governor of Western Australia.

Former governors-general Sir William Deane and Sir Zelman Cowan were among the guests in the Senate chamber for today's ceremony.

Maj-Gen Jeffery said he was proud to become Governor-General, and would work for all Australians and a happy, tolerant society.

"I'm so very proud and extremely humble to have been appointed your governor-general," he said.

"Together with my wife Marlena, and with your support, I will do my best to fulfil the constitutional and public obligations of this high office with dedication, dignity and integrity."

The ceremony ended with a 21 gun salute fired in front of Parliament House.

News.com.au
World War II Day by Day

On paper, and to a great extent in practice too, […]

This is a story about a woman who was denied adequ[…]

Yes, it does. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M[…]

He may have gotten a lot more votes than Genocide[…]