Djokovic exposes ethnic divisions in Australian society - Page 5 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Australia.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please.
Beren wrote:Thanks for your contribution, at least we know why Australia had to be trolled like this.

Fron one whacko to another. Are you suggesting that Novak Djokovic is a Russian and Chinese special agent sent to troll Australia?

And supposedly it's the anti-vaxxers that are whackos. :roll:

Unthinking Majority wrote:No i didn't, I said he was placed in border detention as a result of committing immigration fraud (lying on documents) along with other COVID concerns while they figured it all out. He has no right to enter the country no matter what any judge says, especially when he lied and has had other COVID concerns. I never said his passport, visa, or vax status weren't valid.

Dude seriously, try to comprehend the timeline of the events as well as the role of the Australian PM who explicitly abused Djokovic for his own personal political propaganda.

Djokovic was arrested at the airport at the orders of the Prime Minister of Australia who then paraded him around as his personal trophy. Djokovic was arrested at the airport while having a valid medical exemption and a valid visa. His documents were reconfirmed as valid by an Australian judge and it took an executive order by the Immigration Minister at the orders of the PM to declare him a "threat to the public interest" under a freaking anti-terrorist law. :eek:

The instagram nonsense the Australian government has released to justify this exceptionally idiotic behaviour on their part is not an actual excuse. Djokovic's presence in Spain was deemed valid for his visa and exemption documents by an Australian judge.

Trying to justify this crap as having any sort of legality is beyond the pale.

The Australian PM decided to scapegoat Djokovic for his anti-vax views and when the law of Australia stood on his way he took personal executive action to snatch & kick Djokovic out of the country. What the fuck are you people willing to condone? :knife:

It's the same as the US President following celebrities on instagram and taking executive action to stop them from entering the US when US judges and the Immigration authorities responsible for these documents deem their documents valid.

It does not get any more pathetic than this.
noemon wrote:Fron one whacko to another. Are you suggesting that Novak Djokovic is a Russian and Chinese special agent sent to troll Australia?

And supposedly it's the anti-vaxxers that are whackos. :roll:

Dude seriously, try to comprehend the timeline of the events as well as the role of the Australian PM who explicitly abused Djokovic for his own personal political propaganda.

Djokovic was arrested at the airport at the orders of the Prime Minister of Australia who then paraded him around as his personal trophy. Djokovic was arrested at the airport while having a valid medical exemption and a valid visa. His documents were reconfirmed as valid by an Australian judge and it took an executive order by the Immigration Minister at the orders of the PM to declare him a "threat to the public interest" under a freaking anti-terrorist law. :eek:

The instagram nonsense the Australian government has released to justify this exceptionally idiotic behaviour on their part is not an actual excuse. Djokovic's presence in Spain was deemed valid for his visa and exemption documents by an Australian judge.

The Australian PM decided to scapegoat Djokovic for his anti-vax views and when the law of Australia stood on his way he took personal executive action to snatch & kick Djokovic out of the country. What the fuck are you people willing to condone? :knife:

It's the same as the US President following celebrities on instagram and taking executive action to stop them from entering the US when US judges and the Immigration authorities responsible for these documents deem their documents valid.

Obviously Djokovic is not a spy but his views made him ignore or violate the rules. Honestly, it doesn't even matter why he did it but what is important is that he did. I am not sure why you are SIMPing for him.

At the bare minimum, he lied on his VISA papers and got caught. That is at a bare minimum. It is ultimately irrelevant if it was a mistake on his part or his managers part and so on. So him getting his VISA revoked is a consequence of this.

I understand that the rules are getting in the way of his professional life which is not okay in my book but rules are rules and need to be followed. Australia already provided a medical exception to him but he had to freaking not follow isolation rules or falsify his positive test to get it. So a 2nd exception just for Djokovic would be insane not only as a rules question but also as a public opinion question.

In Rome do like the Romans and so on i guess. Or change the rules if you can. With the first exception Australia did behave like clowns though.
Why are you simping for the Australian PM taking executive authority under an anti-terrorist law and taking matters into his own hands to overrule Australian authorities and judges who deemed Djokovic's papers as valid and in order?

Why are you simping for a western PM who took it upon himself to politically imprison a sportsman?

I couldn't give a toss about Djokovic. The Australian PM is the real issue here. He is a ridicule, who has not only ridiculed himself, but his government, nation and ze "west".
noemon wrote:Why are you simping for the Australian PM taking executive authority under an anti-terrorist law and taking matters into his own hands to overrule Australian authorities and judges who deemed Djokovic's papers as valid and in order?

Why are you simping for a western PM who took it upon himself to politically imprison a sportsman?

I couldn't give a toss about Djokovic. The Australian PM is the real issue here. He is a riducule, who0 has not only ridiculed himself, but his government, nation and ze "west".

He is beholden to the people and the public opinion, ultimately it is the people who are the holders of power in any democratic country. I don't give a rats ass about the Australian PM and I don't even have a clue what his name is and what he stands for. What I do care is that the rules were followed and a cheater of those rules was punished. Simple as that.

You for some reason, think that Djokovic did nothing wrong. I am not sure I can agree on that considering all of the revelations.
JohnRawls wrote:He is beholden to the people and the public opinion, ultimately it is the people who are the holders of power in any democratic country. I don't give a rats ass about the Australian PM and I don't even have a clue what his name is and what he stands for. What I do care is that the rules were followed and a cheater of those rules was punished. Simple as that.

You for some reason, think that Djokovic did nothing wrong. I am not sure I can agree on that considering all of the revelations.

If you did care for rules and laws you would have the capacity to comprehend that Australian authorities granted Djokovic a valid visa and a valid medical exemption. The validity of which were reconfirmed by an Australian judge.

It took the PM of Australia an executive order under an anti-terrorist law to kick Djokovic out of the country, overstepping the authority of Australian judges and the relevant Australian bodies that approved Djokovic's papers.

You do not actually give a shit about rules and laws, just like the Australian PM does not give a shit about them(and hence his use of anti-terrorist laws and executive dictat to get his way) and only give a shit about your personal crusade against famous anti-vaxxers and at a point that nobody gives a crap because this pandemic is over.

Of course you do not know or care to know about the actions of the Australian PM. :lol:

But you care about "laws" that are being trampled by executive orders.
noemon wrote:If you did care for rules and laws you would have the capacity to comprehend that Australian authorities granted Djokovic a valid visa and a valid medical exemption. The validity of which were reconfirmed by an Australian judge.

It took the PM of Australia an executive order under an anti-terrorist law to kick Djokovic out of the country, overstepping the authority of Australian judges and the relevant Australian bodies that approved Djokovic's papers.

You do not actually give a shit about rules and laws, just like the Australian PM does not give a shit about them(and hence his use of anti-terrorist laws and executive dictat to get his way) and only give a shit about your personal crusade against famous anti-vaxxers and at a point that nobody gives a crap because this pandemic is over.

Of course you do not know or care to know about the actions of the Australian PM. :lol:

But you care about "laws" that are being trampled by executive orders.

It might seem that way to you. I am not 100% sure that I buy your terrorism take on the cancelation. If it was the case then you are right. The problem is that it seems to be your take so can you please provide evidence of that?

What I can see is:

Statement regarding Mr Novak Djokovic
Today I exercised my power under section 133C(3) of the Migration Act to cancel the visa held by Mr Novak Djokovic on health and good order grounds, on the basis that it was in the public interest to do so.

This decision followed orders by the Federal Circuit and Family Court on 10 January 2022, quashing a prior cancellation decision on procedural fairness grounds.

In making this decision, I carefully considered information provided to me by the Department of Home Affairs, the Australian Border Force and Mr Djokovic.

The Morrison Government is firmly committed to protecting Australia’s borders, particularly in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic.

I thank the officers of the Department of Home Affairs and the Australian Border Force who work every day to serve Australia’s interests in increasingly challenging operational environments.

Background (non-attributable)

The Minister for Immigration has broad discretionary powers to cancel visas where it is in the public interest to do so, including relying on a health, safety or good order basis.

Following an adverse decision under section 133C(3), the affected person would not be able to be granted a visa (while offshore) for a period of three years, except in certain circumstances. Certain circumstances include, compelling circumstances that affect the interests of Australia or compassionate or compelling circumstances affecting the interests of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.

Link: https://minister.homeaffairs.gov.au/Ale ... kovic.aspx

Law:

(3) The Minister may cancel a visa held by a person if:

(a) the Minister is satisfied that a ground for cancelling the visa under section 116 exists; and

(b) the Minister is satisfied that it would be in the public interest to cancel the visa.

Link http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/ ... s133c.html

This was definitely a case that falls under public interest and it seems to be not some terrorism or anything like that.
I find this whole saga amazing. I agree with you @JohnRawls that Djokovic was toast the moment it turned out his immigration form was inaccurate, and that alone should be grounds for visa revocation.

But @noemon does have a point that the real reason provided by the government is, well, a shitty one. One could just as easily make the case that this whole thing scapegoated Djokovic, and it would have been far better and easier had the revocation been due to the inaccuracies at the moment of the visa application.

Or, at least, they should have left it at "it's in the public interest that any foreigner wishing to enter Australia must fill the application accurately, with no exceptions".
noemon wrote:Why are you simping for the Australian PM taking executive authority under an anti-terrorist law and taking matters into his own hands to overrule Australian authorities and judges who deemed Djokovic's papers as valid and in order?

I couldn't give a toss about Djokovic. The Australian PM is the real issue here. He is a ridicule, who has not only ridiculed himself, but his government, nation and ze "west".

It was the Minster for immigration not the PM who made the call. (though the PM almost certainly made the politically based decision)
It was not under anti terrorism law. Just ordinary Australian immigration law covering entry into the country. These laws give very wide near absolute powers to the immigration minister to cancel the visa of anyone. These laws have been used fairly regularly. They are mainly anti-immigrant, racist in nature and function rather than anything to do with anti terror. This has been key plank in the election of liberal/national coalition conservative governments for quite some time.

When this was being done to poor people very very few people cared.

The Victorian Governments and Tennis Australia had don;ty ask don't tell policy about medical exceptions, saying they would not actually take any steps to actually confirm they were valid for tennis players. It was clearly giving tennis players a pass the general public did not get. A weak political decision. Djokovic was happy to play games with covid status. So was the federal government. Everyone involved was actual poorly form venal political motives. Federal Government, Victorian Government, Tennis Australia and Djokovic.
JohnRawls wrote:It might seem that way to you. I am not 100% sure that I buy your terrorism take on the cancelation. If it was the case then you are right. The problem is that it seems to be your take so can you please provide evidence of that?

What I can see is:

What you see is an executive order by a Minister that undoes the decisions taken both by the relevant legal bodies as well as the Australian judge that heard this case.

You can read more about Australia's exposition as a ridiculous country here:

The Guardian wrote:The glimpse of the government’s actions in the Djokovic case illuminate the capricious and arbitrary attitude taken by the Australian government towards people seeking entry.

Australia is unique among liberal democracies for indefinitely detaining asylum seekers (though only those who arrive by boat).

Our Australian residents claim that these Ministerial "god-powers" as referred to in Australia are a direct consequence of the legislation passed during the 'war-on-terror'.

Regardless, it makes no difference.

How are you supposedly standing for "law and order", when you cheerlead for executive decisions that undo the decisions of the bodies responsible for law & order in Australia? Are you not aware of the separation of powers? Between the executive, judicial and legal as a fundamental principle of a liberal democracy in contrast to the concentration of power in the faces of Ministers and the government as in North Korea, China and Russia?

Why are you cheerleading a clear slide into fascism and the undermining of the principles of a liberal democracy?

And ironically conversely does @Igor Antunov and @colliric comprehend the true value of a liberal democracy?

If Djokovic wasn't Serb but American, Igor would be praising Australia or China now.
noemon wrote:Are you suggesting that Novak Djokovic is a Russian and Chinese special agent sent to troll Australia?

Why else would the Australians kick him out? How much will the Australian Open lose with this?

The Australian Serb community also wasn't hard to organise for this, I guess.

They also could be Trumpers, couldn't they? :lol:
Beren wrote:Why else would the Australians kick him out? How much will the Australian Open lose with this?

Oh, so you 're serious.

Grab your tin-foils people, Alice is on the loose.

Repeatedly stated the obvious is that this pathetic government made its intention clear when it politicised Djokovic and turned him into a local, national and international media spectacle to score points against "anti-vaxxers" and buttress its fascistic policies during Covid-19.

The less obvious is that this shell of a man has been given US assurances since the AUKUS debacle and so he tries to make the most of these assurances which are effectively unashamed support in the "international media" for whatever he or his government does. A lot of "leaders" in history exhibit this small-man syndrome whenever provided with such assurances from a big dog. They go on a full international media rampage and create opportunities for this to happen assured that the big dog's media will have their backs.

How do you explain evident fascism being cheerleaded by American "liberal" media?
noemon wrote:Dude seriously, try to comprehend the timeline of the events as well as the role of the Australian PM who explicitly abused Djokovic for his own personal political propaganda.

I'll be honest I don't even know much about the case nor care. I don't even follow tennis. I'll defer to you and others on this. Maybe he was wronged, maybe the Aussie gov were too heavy handed, I have no idea. But the tennis guy did lie on his forms. I'm tired of people lying to immigration officials and getting away with it. To hell with these fraudsters. Doesn't mean you need to necessarily always throw them in a cell but they do need to be held accountable.
Igor Antunov wrote:Uh, no. I'm an antivaxxer remember?

Precisely, so you admit that if this happened to a pro-vaxxer American in China, you would be cheering from the rooftops.

Djokovic's antivax opinions are irrelevant for his mistreatment, remember?
colliric wrote:https://twitter.com/samstreetwrites/status/1483929574702518290?t=TgrChFKIxJIbmeG-8Eljzg&s=19

I'm happy to pay him. Consider it my taxpaying apology for how stupid and racist our voted in leadership is. Very happy for him to win. He will win the court case.

Didn't you think he'd win the appeal ? You track record with predicting court cases is not flash.

Didn't you vote for this government?

racism and anti immigrant rhetoric have been a staple of liberal party campaigning since Little Johnny Howard exploded the argument to immigration free of politics.

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]