Hanson wins, to be released - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Australia.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please.
By Ocker
Hanson wins, to be released
November 6, 2003

PAULINE Hanson and One Nation co-founder David Ettridge will be released from jail after Queensland's Court of Appeal today overturned their convictions for electoral fraud.

Chief Justice Paul de Jersey told a stunned courtroom that Ms Hanson and Mr Ettridge had had their convictions overturned and would not face a retrial.

Ms Hanson and Mr Ettridge had sought to overturn the verdict of a Brisbane District Court jury which found them guilty in August.

Chief judge Patsy Wolfe jailed them for three years without parole after they were both convicted of one count of electoral fraud.

Ms Hanson was also convicted of a further two counts of dishonestly obtaining almost $500,000 in electoral funding after the party's 11-seat sweep at the 1998 state election.

They were accused of lying to get the party registered in 1997 ahead of the poll by using a list of more than 500 members of a support movement and not the political party.

The appeal was decided by Justice de Jersey, Queensland Court of Appeal president Margaret McMurdo and Supreme Court judge Geoffrey Davies.

Ms Hanson and Mr Ettridge, who have spent 78 nights in jail, are expected to be released from prison tonight.

Ms Hanson's sister Judy Smith said outside court that the former One Nation leader should never have been tried in the first place. "I'm angry my sister has spent 11 weeks in jail," Mrs Smith told reporters.

"The Australian people should be asking `please explain', this has cost taxpayers millions of dollars."

Justice de Jersey said the court had set aside both sentences and the indictments would be amended so that an acquittal would be recorded.

The appeal court found the prosecution's case that One Nation supporters had been wrongly passed off as political party members was flawed.

Mrs Smith said Ms Hanson's daughter Lee would be picking her up from the Brisbane Women's Prison.

She said that she had spoken with her sister earlier today and they had made plans.

"I know my sister, she'll want to go out on the town," she said.

Outside court, Ms Hanson's solicitor Chris Nyst said there were a lot of questions to be asked about how society treated people who dissented from mainstream views.

"It is one thing to disagree, but it is another to victimise and vilify somebody," Mr Nyst said.

He said there was simply no case against Ms Hanson.

Mr Ettridge's solicitor Andrew Boe said this was an example of what went wrong when someone was legally unrepresented in court.

Mr Ettridge represented himself during the lengthy trial.

Several supporters left the court jubilantly saying, "Well done Pauline we're glad you're out."

AAP

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,7787014%255E2,00.html
By GandalfTheGrey
Ettridge and Hanson's biggest crime is that they are stupid. But you can't put everyone in gaol who is stupid, otherwise most of the world would be behind bars. David Oldfield was the brains behind One Nation, but he cut and ran, since he knew where Hanson was taking the party.
By Thin Spirits
What really bothers me is the way she talks about her 'experience' in gaol.

Something along the lines of "I didn't expect to be treated any differently, it was good to be just 'one of the girls'"
Of course she shouldn't expect to be treated differently. Perhaps a mental institute should've been more appropriate.
By Horus
I agree, GandalftheGrey, their biggest crime was being stupid, but I think it was more that why could someone get as far as she did? Are there really that many people out there who have views like hers? In regards to the legal side of things, well, you have to wonder just how much bias can there be in a case if one set of judges rule three years and the other one throws it out completely?
By GandalfTheGrey
Horus wrote:but I think it was more that why could someone get as far as she did? Are there really that many people out there who have views like hers?

A really interesting point there Horus. Like most populist leaders, her success emanated from the perception that she was not the same as normal politicians. She was a straight talker, said exactly what was on her mind and didn't mince words, something that ordinary Australians can relate to. That she was grossly misinformed and ignorant did not have a great impact. In fact, in a funny sort of way, it actually elevated her stature. For when she was criticised and corrected by "ordinary" politicians and left wing academics, it merely enhanced the perception that the left wing, academic establishment was ganging up against the "ordinary" "silent majority" Australians. She was a novelty to the electorate and a breath of fresh air. But like all populists who have no substance, the phenomemon didn't last long. What it does demonstrate though, is that ordinary Australians are fed up with the establishment, and are desperately looking for an outlet to vent that frustration. Hanson, however unsuited she was to the role, temporarily provided that outlet.
By joe
it is about she was out, she should have never been in there - except for ethridge - he can go back
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Interesting video on why Macron wants to deploy F[…]

https://x.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1801949727069[…]

I submit this informed piece by the late John Pil[…]

Well, you should be aware that there are other arg[…]