Wrong Spanish anthem played at Davis Cup final - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Australia.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please.
HOME > DAVIS CUP SHOWDOWN > STORY
Get News by Email Print This Article Email This Article

Lo sentimos (We're sorry)
By Charles Miranda
November 29, 2003

THE Davis Cup final between Spain and Australia began in controversy after the wrong Spanish anthem was played at the opening ceremony yesterday.

Spanish supporters led by visiting Spanish Sports Minister Juan Antonio Gomez-Angulo waved wildly in protest when trumpeter James Morrison started up the wrong song.

Spaniards in the Melbourne crowd then tried to hum the real national anthem, popularly known as The Marcha Real (Royal March), as Tennis Australia raced to get the right tune.

What jazz legend Morrison played was the 1931 Himno de Riego - which was a military ode to General Jose Riego and an uprising in 1820.

The correct anthem, also a military march, has been around since the 13th century, but was popularised in the late 1970s in honour of the Spanish Royal family and King Juan Carlos.

Spaniards from around the country flooded radio stations and diplomatic posts with protests. An infuriated Spanish Sports Minister Juan Antonio Gomez Angulo, who angrily stormed out of the VIP grandstand, expressed "absolute indignation" at what he said was an offence to the Spanish nation.

He has instructed the Spanish Ambassador to Australia, Jose Ramon Baranano, to seek a formal apology from Australia.

Melbourne Consul General Federico Palomera, who was also at the arena, said it was a "shameful" episode.

"I was initially extremely

bewildered with this unrecognisable song but then really angry," he told The Daily Telegraph.

"Actually it was an insult to the players, to the people and to the kingdom of Spain.

"I have heard that somebody in Tennis Australia was saying that they were given the wrong sheet music by a Spanish diplomat in Melbourne.

"That is not right because that is me - and I never gave anybody anything.

"Personally I think it was a mix-up and I would rather not think it was done on purpose in response to what happened in the crowds in Barcelona in 2001."

In Barcelona, the Australian Davis Cup team criticised the Spanish team for inciting a baying crowd. Pat Rafter and Lleyton Hewitt said it was the worst reception they'd ever had.

Tennis Australia president Geoff Pollard yesterday apologised for the mistake.

"Understandably, the Spanish team, officials and supporters were clearly dismayed at the error which ... was unintentional and for which we unreservedly apologise," he said.

The Daily Telegraph

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_pag ... 02,00.html
By Thin Spirits
meh- a pretty bad fuck up.

They could relax a little over it though. It wasn't intentional.
By Efrem Da King
heh this could lead to war!!

ANyway it would be funny if it was done on purpose!! Haha
By Nox
Efrem Da King wrote:ANyway it would be funny if it was done on purpose!! Haha

The more I think about it ... this may be the truth.

I guess that's the price you pay for changing national anthems.

Nox
By Proctor
Actually Nox, it was never the national anthem. It was actually a Communist Party patriotic song from the 1930s! :D
By Nox
Proctor wrote:Actually Nox, it was never the national anthem. It was actually a Communist Party patriotic song from the 1930s! :D

Help me out ...

Was the song played the 1930's song or the National Anthem? Was the 1930's song the Anthem that was changed.

I am confused.

The reason I asked is because I know the Canadians changed their anthem ... Did Spain do the same?

Nox
By Proctor
The song played was never the national anthem. How the fuck the band got the music to a song probably noone had heard in years is anyone's guess.
By Nox
Thank you. I am no longer confused.

Nox

The Crimean Tatar people's steadfast struggle agai[…]

NOVA SCOTIA (New Scotland, 18th Century) No fu[…]

If people have that impression then they're just […]

^ this is the continuation of the pre-1948 confli[…]