Latham tries to out-Howard Howard... - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Australia.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please.
I feel invigorated by the change in Labor leadership, like many here. But it also seems that Mark Latham, although radical, is often radically right in terms of Labor politics.

My biggest concern in this regard is immigration. Where I would want a Labor government to have a more liberal immigration programme (not Liberal, but liberal), to end mandatory detention and to fast-track asylum claims, it seems that Latham is the man least likely to accomplish these things.

Instead, he is trying to out-Howard Howard. Today the papers announce that he is wanting to start a green card system here to 'stop illegal immigrants stealing Australian's jobs'. And we all know he is talking tough on immigration all the time.

So, am I hoping for too much that a government will be popularly elected in this country which can counterattack the fear and hatred campaign towards immigrants by the current government, stop stigmatising asylum seekers and start proposing humane alternatives?
By Bricktop
I havent seen the papers with this..but from what my my member (for Wills) has sent me about Labor's immigration policy i believe it to be very fair and much better than anything the Howard government as done. Head to Labor's site to see more about it (it will be one of the media released im thinking)

http://www.alp.org.au

Drummond
Maxim Litvinov wrote:I feel invigorated by the change in Labor leadership, like many here. But it also seems that Mark Latham, although radical, is often radically right in terms of Labor politics.

I agree - his factional disposition is kinda sus. But - I prefer
him to the past contenders and Howard.
By unbalanced zealot
:lol: I really shouldn't say this coz he's not here.

But - I miss Efrem - he would have coughed up some substantial
comment about how glorious Howard is and how his immigration
policy is perfectly perfect.

Poor Efrem ... at least he's got time to holiday in NZ via
those new cheap flights.

[sorry for going way off the topic here]
By Bricktop
STILL OFF TOPIC (sorry) - where on earth has Efrem got to? Was he banned or something?..

Drummond :?:
By Bricktop
and i haven't been around to enjoy pofo without the guy :*(

oh well. better make the most of it :muha1:

Drummond
By Proctor
Actually, Immigration was probably the only issue that Efrem didn't support Howard in. Apparently his father is a lawyer who represents asylum seekers in their claims, so he would have a better understanding of what goes on in those horrible camps than we would. And he seemed equally horrified.

If people have that impression then they're just […]

^ this is the continuation of the pre-1948 confli[…]

A millennial who went to college in his 30s when […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Interesting video on why Macron wants to deploy F[…]