Happy Australia Day - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Australia.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please.
By Bricktop
I’m just declaring a happy day to all of you and so forth.
In the past I have never much cared for Australia Day but today I realised even with an awful government and so forth (imho) bad times and people should never get in the way of knowing who we are, as a nation. I’m happy to call myself an Aussie and I’m grateful to live in such a free, multicultural, unique and interesting city within our great land. We truly are a lucky people, within a lucky country. We are allowed freedoms that many people could only dream of, and although we cop some slack sometimes for the racism shown by many folks here, we are in the long run a nation of people who care about others and want a fair go for everyone. We are friendly people! (for the most part!) I realised this even more so on Saturday when my mum’s car got bogged on a sand track down at the Otways (in Victoria). What was originally a crisis, turned into an enjoyable, relaxing and hilarious afternoon, when along came a large group of guys on a ‘fishing’ trip to help us out. The good nature of these blokes really calmed my mum down, and after an unconventional picnic with them all behind the car, we got down to business in pulling the thing out of the sand. More guys came along with another 4WD and we all pushed hard as the other vehicle pulled ours out, and we succeeded in getting out of the situation in the end.
This was a random act of kindness by around 10-15 guys (at different times) that changed my view on some of the things that occur within our society. So good on ya Australia. Raise your beers! A warm Happy Australia Day to all the Kiwis, Asians and Pacific Islanders who also happen to view this thread. I know it’s not your day so to speak, but I believe a friendly stretch of the arm can be beneficial to all. So Happy Australia Day to you as well! :)

Drummond
By Smith 2.0
Happy Australia day, then! :)
By Efrem Da King
:O

It was australia day!! Someone should have told me. Anyway, happy austrlia day to you "australians".
By Maxim Litvinov
The ABC show "The Greatest Australian" had a panel of 14 conclude that this title should go to Howard Florey, the developer of penicillin.

The show's audience picked Gough Whitlam -- just another reason I should be able to choose him as my avatar! :)
By Bricktop
Howard Florey was a legend yes, and what he did helped so many around the world.
'Our Gough' will always be a hero for me, but although very radical and positive for change in Australia.. i don't necasarily believe a politician should recieve greatest Australian..even if he WAS a great Australian.

Also on a side note, the woman who runs the 'cattery' where we leave our pets when we go on holidays won Senior Australian of the Year... ;) she also runs a wildlife park at the location :)

Drummond
By Andrew
Happy Australia Day! :) Its been a great day today!

Andrew
Last edited by Andrew on 26 Jan 2004 15:52, edited 1 time in total.
By unbalanced zealot
Maxim Litvinov wrote:The ABC show "The Greatest Australian" had a panel of 14 conclude that this title should go to Howard Florey, the developer of penicillin.

The show's audience picked Gough Whitlam -- just another reason I should be able to choose him as my avatar! :)

Yeh - I watched that show ... they had Goolagong as the nom
for sport over Bradman ... which i thought was cool.

Gough w'd make a great avatar. I'm still waiting for a Deng one tho
after a couple of months.
By Maxim Litvinov
Why's a huge British flag draped over the top of NT and WA?

... Oh yeah. That's right.
By Bricktop
Haha..

Although i do like the Union Jack as a flag (one of the best in the world) i believe it has no place on ours, and no im not one of those hippies who would replace it with the aboriginal flag.. :p

I do believe we should also be able to have Chifley, Curtain and of course.. the 'father of federation'..'and horny old man' Henry Parkes!

Drummond ;)
By Bricktop
Here is my Aussie flag i made in paint..

And for the admin if they see this, how about some famous Aussies for avatars ;)

1Image
2Image 3Image 4Image 5Image

For those who don't know...

1 - Henry Parkes, 2 - Ben Chifley, 3 - Billy Hughes, 4 - John Curtain, 5 - Gough Whitlam.

Remember our political heroes ;)

Drummond
By Maxim Litvinov
It's with people like Efrem that the post count system fails.

For, after all, what's the point of having 1000 posts, when 900 of them aren't a bit constructive at all?

Talk me through the flag Drummond - it is the blue sky and the red earth? And why yellow for the Federation star? It does look pretty though.

I posted a 60x60 picture of Gough as an avatar suggestion a week or so ago, although your Gough looks a better candidate for an avatar than my picture was. Here's praying it happens sometime soon.
By Bricktop
Hey Maxim, well..

The Blue is ofcourse for the blue sky of Australia. People always comment when either coming back to Australia or visiting for the first time "The sky is so blue". It is a unique gift us Aussie have.

You are also correct with the Red. It is the land upon which we live. We are the dryest continent (apart from Antarctica) and the Red earth of our nation is another unique gift we have.

The Federation Star is made yellow because i believe this makes the flag a little 'warmer' and takes away the 'Britishness' of our nation. As we all know, the Sun is a star, and Australia is famous for our sun. Therefore i thought why not combine the two? And so i did. It resembles the Sun and the unified nation.

And well you know why the Southern Cross is there. It just couldnt be an Australian flag without it IMHO.

Thanks for the comments :) And yes, i do hope we get "Our Gough" into the Avs soon! :D

Drummond
By Andrew
Drummond wrote:Although i do like the Union Jack as a flag (one of the best in the world) i believe it has no place on ours, and no im not one of those hippies who would replace it with the aboriginal flag.. :p

I wholeheartedly agree! I like the Australian flag, but I dont love it, mainly due to the Union Jack. Many people assume we are a part of Britain by having it, and I have met some British people who said that "Britain is being kissed by Australia's ass" which annoyed me strongly.

Go on http://www.ausflag.com.au to see some Australian Flag designs. It's a very interesting site. I am trying to see which flag best fits the jigsaw puzzle.

By the way, you have a very good design Drummond! Very unique! I am probably a bit weary of the dark red colour. Maybe the light red which we currently have on the Aussie flag suits it. But overall, it is fantastic and it has very good meaning behind it!

Andrew
By Efrem Da King
And whats wrong with our current flag??

The flag we have worked and fought under for over 100 years. And you want to throw away the tradition because you don't like. Attacking the flag is just another hippie fad.
By Bricktop
I am starting a new thread on the flag debate because this it taking away from what the original thread was to be about.

Drummond

Zionism was never a religious movement basing i[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Interesting video on why Macron wants to deploy F[…]

https://x.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1801949727069[…]

I submit this informed piece by the late John Pil[…]