Strike Thread - Page 5 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

This is a the archive of the "PoFo Parliament". A user-run project.
Forum rules: This is a the archive of the "PoFo Parliament". A user-run project.
By Dr House
You can't be that disconnected from reality. That there are children with higher abilities than average is a fact, as is a fact that a regular pace of education will just bore and demotivate them. I knew multiplication by the second grade, ffs. This discussion reminds me of the People's Cube.

By Vladimir
Children will be pitted against one another in competition, further some won't have the same encouragement due to external influences. To reward or punish on such arbitrary circumstances will deprive us of our end goals. Instead, we wish to keep the pace as uniform as possible, to ensure each reach the goals we want.

I don't think that's accurate. What self pace means in our context
-the set pace is average and universal
-those behind can use extra time to catch up to the standard, receive more encouragement to fix whatever circumstances they have
-those ahead can use extra/spared time to progress further

It is certainly important to minimise negative externalities on children, but it is pointless to do that at the expense of more able students.
By Zyx
Don't ask how I can read people's profiles, but I just read a woman's profile where it says that she graduated high school at 12 and is now a business owner and, at 19, she's working at her PhD though she has a Masters in Business or something.

Weird. Given she's a local--don't ask what I'm doing--I invited a chat with her. I'll try to investigate this 'greater intellect' firsthand [she may just be a bourgeois token.]

If she convinces me to the natural thing, I'll concede.

As to me, and reality, I know that I did better in school when I better applied myself; and whereas there were some things I just couldn't do, eventually, everything can become easy. For instance, you can brag about better performing than I was at elementary school (even if this isn't true), but today we both can perfectly do elementary school work, no?

Vladimir wrote:It is certainly important to minimise negative externalities on children, but it is pointless to do that at the expense of more able students.

I can understand those behind, but what's 'more able?'

If one kid reads the Great Gasby on the first day while the rest lurk behind, should we give the rushing kid an extra book and reward him/her for as much?

What's the point? If an extra book be good then why not give the other kids an extra book? Further, rushing is not 'good' and not 'smart.'

You've have to give me an example so that I'm not 'strawmanning' but I don't exactly see what you people mean.

In a Calculus class, everyone eventually can do the top work. Why give only a few the top work?

You see, no one would agree to a Professor in a class giving some students better, richer assignments and other more dull assignments, but when they put a wall between these kids, they have no problem. My question is why are we putting walls between children?

Who is? The protest at the U of A did not do tha[…]

Is it happening to you right now? Bring on the vi[…]

No, you have to be spoon-fed information and told[…]

Judaism is older than Christianity, dude. And I[…]