Offical SLD Party Thread (Members Only) - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

This is a the archive of the "PoFo Parliament". A user-run project.
Forum rules: This is a the archive of the "PoFo Parliament". A user-run project.
By Gnote
I am an SLDer, though marginalized for certain.
By Karl_Bonner_1982
Still SLD
By Gnote
Zagadka wrote:Unwilling to compromise on issues like abortion and marriage, though.

If we compromise on these issues, given our size, we are the weakest, lamest party in the history of politics.
By Ombrageux
SLD
By Gnote
What is the SLD's position on the size of parliament? How many seats should there be?
By Okonkwo
Gnote wrote:What is the SLD's position on the size of parliament? How many seats should there be?

What seems to be the problem with the current way? As far as I am concerned it works fine this way, but I'll concede if the other SLDs have a different opinion. It just doesn't seem like an issue to be divisive about, it is rather marginal.
By Gnote
My position on it has nothing to do with the 'in character' part of the game, and everything to do with the broader functioning of it.

We need to reduce the number of seats in order to increase the politics. By allocating up to half of a parties seats to the leader alone (not necessarily in our case, but in the case of other parties), we would effectively muzzle non-leader MPs. If we reduce the number of seats to a number that is sufficiently low, we can allocate seats to active members so those members become MPs, and allow passive members to play deputy minister roles, and craft party policy.
By dilpill
What does everyone think about the constitution Fasces proposed in another thread:

Article 1. Elections

1. The Clerk of the Parliament must administer a responsible election and its results must be tabulated and certified by the Clerk no more than 2 days after the preceding election's results were certified.
2. A super-majority of parliament must vote to call early elections, for the legislature. A strict bi-monthly term will be adhered to.
3. Elections shall be conducted, tabulated, and certified by the Clerk of the Parliament, who will be designated by any successful act that forms a government.

Article 2. Convention of Parliament

1. Parliament will constitute 33 seats in a single body directly proportional to their vote, as calculated by Parliament.
2. Each MP is entitled to one seat;
3. All current Clerks of the Parliament shall maintain, certify, and report the assignment of seats from the parties in good faith.
4. Once the Clerk of the Parliament certifies that a seat has been assigned an MP, that seat may not be estranged from that MP until the next general election conducted by the Clerk of the Parliament, except by the express and public consent of the MP (certified by the Clerk of the Parliament), or by a 2/3 vote of the Parliament to impeach that MP.
5. A proposed Clerk must receive support of 51% of parliament, and is not appointed by the executive.

Article 3. Legislation

1. The legislature will be in charge of receiving and proposing laws and other bills.
2. All legislation must receive 40% of the vote, and the signature of the head of government, or 60% of the vote without the signature, in favor, to be considered law.
3. Votes will be placed in the thread as for, against, or (optionally) abstain. Abstaining votes are not counted
3(a). Each vote will last 96 hours
4. MPs (that is, people assigned seats in Parliament) have the right to break with their party leader if they so choose over a piece of legislation.
5. Legislation may not be withdrawn once proposed, without the approval of the Clerk.
6. No further votes will be recognized on any legislative thread originating with a previous elected parliament after the election that followed it has been certified by the Clerk of the Parliament. This means that all pending legislation dies when election results are certified.
7. Amendments to this document must receive more than 2/3 the votes of members voting to become law, as well as support from the executive of the government.
8. Laws inconsistent with this document (and any successful amendments to it) are prima facie invalid as inconsistent with the basic law of the nation, but this document guarantees no relief or arbitration if a law is challenged on a constitutional basis. The Parliament may ordain and empower bodies which have the power to grant relief and arbitration in disputes as to the constitutionality of legislation .

Article 4. Formation of Government

1. The government will consist of a separate executive office, headed by a single individual, elected by the general populations, through a majority vote.
2. If no majority vote is received in the first round of elections, the two candidates with the most votes will continue to a second run-off election.
3. The executive will have full rights to appoint any members they see fit to the various ministries, requiring a 33% vote of approval from Parliament. Appointed ministers may also be members of parliament.
4. The executive may be impeached with a 70% vote from Parliament. Outside of resignation, or impeachment, elections will be held only at appointed times. Should an executive resign, his deputy will complete his term.
5. The executive may not be a member of parliament.

I think it would be very workable, and would result in a stable game. I like it better than all of the other proposed solutions.

However, I suspect that some people may have a problem with 3.2, but I think it's fine, as I support giving the executive a significant amount of power.
By dilpill
Welcome to the SLD, House! :p

I've begun to accept that the seats should be reduced. We don't really have that many people playing anyways, and we could use players who don't get seats in non MP roles. Creating any using those roles would significantly add to the fun of the game.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I'd be totally happy for us to send ground troop i[…]

Any of you going to buy the Trump bible he's promo[…]

Moving the goalposts won't change the facts on th[…]

There were formidable defense lines in the Donbas[…]